Miami defensive end shot to death

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexanSam, Nov 7, 2006.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/07/pata.killed.ap/index.html

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Just saw that as ESPN broke in for the breaking news about this.

Definitley a sad day for the U. Thoughts go out to his family.

3. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Bad things seems to loom over this school no matter what. RIP to the family and condolences.

4. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

RIP Bryan

never a good thing when a young kid that might have a chance to be in the NFL gets killed

5. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Not to detract from this young man's probably pointless death.

What is it about THE U that seems to have this unsaid culture that looms around that school's football team?

6. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I can only guess it's a combination of being a highly regarded program (talent-wise) and a staff that is not as concerned with character compared to other universities. I don't want to make that kind of speculation on this kids death, but Miami does seem to churn out a lot of...questionable incidents/players.

7. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Miami isn't exactly an angel city. Alot of crime in that city.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

May he rest in peace. Football player or not, it is a sad day for students when one of their own is shot down in the place he was supposed to feel safest.

9. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Never a good thing when a young person gets shot and does not get a chance toi fufill their potential, regardless of what that field might be.

10. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

while i was posting that up i was gonna put that it is never a good thing when some one gets shot, but then i thought to myself that there are some people that deserve to get shot, but the way i worded it made it seem that the only reason i said RIP is because he plays college football, but i agree never good when young people get shot, unless they truely deserve it :shoot:

11. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Book bag? Check. Lunch money? Check. Condom? Check. Fire arm? Check. Off we go to school. Tennessee, Miami U. Oklahoma in the past. I am sorry for the loss of any person, but why is the culture surrounding schools so prone to violence? It is not just at college level as we have seen recently. High schoolers are taking weapons to school. Is it fear for their safety or the thing to do to feel macho? More info on the DE from Miami may shed more light.

12. TxAg

TxAg Rookie

This is sad moment for college football I'm not a Miami fan but I feel for all there players and coaches they have a good program there. It's just sad to see this happen

13. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

This quote in the article is pretty telling. Haven't heard about it before.

14. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Well the city of Miami is one of the last places you want to send an 18 yr. old kid. For the football team, aside from the usual pitfalls of zealous boosters you have a huge nightlife and huge underworld. It doesn't help that the program has cultivated a sorta thuggish culture. The thing is, Miami has actually cleaned its act up considerably since the glory days, but the media is far more probing and scrutinizing of college athletes than it was back then. This is a tragedy and not neceessarily connected to the aforementioned things... that's just the way it is down there.

15. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Another reason to drop Meriweather off the list of guys we want to play here in Houston.

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

Agreed.

How sad that a Miami program comes to this. How come they cant get stand up players to attend this university? Year in and year out, someone at MU gets shot, or fights break out, its always something.

I wouldnt touch Meriweather with a 10 foot pole if I was drafting for a team.

17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I am sure they have plenty of stand up guys at the school, you just dont hear about those guys. Miami is a rough city, and the best players from Miami go to UM. It is only natural for some of them to be thuggish...and thats what makes the news.

I mean, did you ever hear about DeMeco's deeds before he was drafted to the Texans? But how many times did you hear about Willie Williams or Brandon Meriweather.

18. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

You are simply an ignorant @ss. This was a class kid and to make such an *****ic statement is a sign of immaturity and/or stupidity on your part.

RIP #95.

19. HowBoutThemCowboys!

HowBoutThemCowboys! All Pro

^^^^ Completely agree..

Now's not the time to make assumptions and sterotype at such a tragic time. Really uncalled for.

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Surprising how so many on this board knew this guy was a 'thug.' The 'things' you can learn here ....

Seriously, everything I've been seeing on TV is that he was a good guy who was very well liked and popular around campus. Last time I checked (last night) police hadn't released many details. Have I missed the article that talked about his bad rep and thuggish behavior? If so, someone please post it.