Mewelde Moore

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texans34Life, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

How about we get this guy to be the bruiser behind Slaton? Mendenhall is going to be coming back for Pittsburgh and he's going to lose playing time there. He produced pretty well when Parker was out.

I know he signed a 3-year, 4.95 mil contract last year, but could we still get him?

IlliniJen likes this.
  2. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

Man, good thought. Maybe trade a late round pick?

I have been a believer in Moore since he was in Minny, and could never really understand why he didn't get more of a shot. He was great when Fast Willie was out this year. What's the deal with this guy? Shoot him down and school me on why he was always a back up.

3. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

I quite like the idea of that, he's not had a massive NFL battering. I wouldn't mind giving up a 4th to 5th rounder for him to be honest, from what I've seen of him, he looks like he could be a good person to split some carries with Stevie, and he's not going to be getting a 2nd running back role next year with the Steelers, I don't think.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I'd been thinking that he was gonna become available at some point early next year once mendenhall comes back healthy. I also doubt the steelers keep 4 rb's next year & it's likely going to come down to He or Russell & either would be just fine as the bruiser/short yardage back behind Slaton imo.

parker -starter
    Mendenhall - backup
    Russell - short yardage guy
    Moore - ?

I don't see where Moore fits in unless 1 of those guys go down early in the offseason/preseason.

5. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I'd also be interested in seeing what it would take for Oakland to let go of Micheal Bush. Wouldn't be opposed to Moore and that MIGHT let us take someone else this year instead of a RB in our top 3 picks. Moore, while not as explosive as Steve could step in as a starter and keep the running game consistent.

6. Texans34Life

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but why was the thread moved here? I set it up where it was pertaining the Texans.....a feature back who could be a fit for us.

Just curious....

7. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I was wondering about that myself. I can only assume an admin didn't read the content of the post.

8. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Since Moore is with another team and there is no real talks about it I am assuming that is why they moved it here.

9. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    How about Kevin Jones? He was a first round pick for the Lions, still only 26 and was used sparingly by the Bears last year. He had serious injury the year before that though.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Correct.

Should there be an article, not a blog, reporting that the Texans are involved with talks with a FA, then the thread would be in the Texans Talk section.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I have one problem with this idea...Moore isn't really a bruiser. He is 5'10 and 209 but he is more of a speed/3rd down guy they used compared to FWP on the Steelers. He can bruise more than Slaton but I'm not sure if that has been is use in the NFL so far.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Kinda off-topic, but are teams even allowed to begin talks with FA's yet?

BTW, it looks like Edge is already planning on his release from the Cards.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/05/edgerrin-james-already-gone-in-arizona/

13. Texans34Life

But KT, I thought anyone can suggest RBs that would fit the Texans scheme in the Texans Talk section. I didn't know I needed reference in order for it to be there.

14. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Moore looks like he could be looking for a new team since the Steelers just brought in Stefan Logan from BC Lions. I still feel that we should be using leach as more or the bruiser and in those goal line stances

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Generally speaking we keep discussions of individuals who have not been connected to the Texans in the NFL section and then if they get connected to the Texans they are discussed in Texans Talk. General discussions such as something like "FA RBs who would fit our scheme" also can go in Texans Talk. If every FA out there gets there own thread in Texans Talk it mucks things up and drives threads off the first page. Then we get redundant "how about X" threads. It is somewhat arbitrary but helps the place stay organized.

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

our mods do an outstanding job monitoring this board, thank you! :beer:

17. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Pass. Moore is not the type of back I am looking for. I am looking for a 225+ lber that can get short yardage and move the chains on 3rd and short and would be a brusier for the Goal line.

Moore is a 209lb speedy back.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Moore a bruiser? He has always been a 3rd down and situational back....hes more of a finesse back like a little better version of Ryan Moats

19. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Whatever our management decides to do, it better include getting someone to share the load with Slaton. I know Smith and Kubiak werent here when DD played for us, but they better still learn the lesson. Don't burn out your young backs and end their careers within 4 years especially after you re-signed them over a year earlier than you really needed to, in order to try and a get a 'team friendlier' deal and prevent him from being an FA.
    Thanks Charlie, you big steaming pile of dog crap for all the great moves you did during your reign of terror.

Good morning everyone ;)

20. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

You don't necessarily have to be a hulking brute in order to be a good goal line back. Some guys just have a nose for the endzone. IMO Marcus Allen was one of the all time great goal line backs, because he knew what he had to do, and made it his mission to do it. He played at around 210 pounds.

When you look at the 2008 season, and look at percentages of TD's from the 3 yard line or inside, there were 14 backs with a 50% or greater percentage (minimum 6 attempts). Only 6 of the 14 weighed above 225 pounds, with the top three weighing 208, 217, and 220 respectively. Strangely enough, the 225+ guys were clustered together at 4-9, and 10-14 were all sub 225.

LINK

The other thing to keep in mind is with the exception of Duckett, all of these guys were touching the ball at least 10-12 times a game. John Madden used to talk about the guy who if you needed a yard would get you three, and if you needed five yards would get you three. That guy aint gonna cut it. If he's a complementary back to Slaton, he needs to be able to do something besides be a three yard battering ram.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009