Merriman ran a 4.6 at his pro day...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by UberDork, Mar 16, 2005.

1. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

Merriman weighed in at 274 and he ran a 4.6 and on top of that he had a 40" verticle at his pro day today...he had 25 reps at the combine...wow

LINK

Sorry I forgot to put the link

2. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

you know the ironic thing about Merrimen? all of the Peek supporters to get him on the field seem to want the team to draft Merrimen

3. WittTexan

WittTexan Rookie

thought he didnt jump. gotta link?

4. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

Does anyone out there besides me wonder how Merriman would do in the middle...perhaps the buc spot...Has anyone watched him?...he did play a little linebacker right?...Has anyone seen him in coverage?

5. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I like Merriman a lot. But I thought he can play inside too. I have a feeling that we'll draft a linebacker with our first pick.

6. Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid Veteran

Thats not true, i for one an not for it cuz this team doesnt need the most help outside. I believe peeks stats from his workout were not too far off from merrimens

7. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

If he can play inside I am all for him, I honestly dont know much about him so I cant say. I think for now we have almost too many OLB. We have 3 potential starters and some able backups so I rather draft someone who can play inside and play next to Greenwood supposing Sharper doesnt return.

8. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

Here are what I think are Peek's combine numbers

Antwan Peek (6-1¼, 247, 4.52/40, 4.33/SS, 7.06/3-cone, 21/BP, 37"/V, 10’5"/LJ) | Cincinnati

If Merriman were able to play inside....I would be VERY excited about speed at our LB spots...And the thing about Merriman is that he is almost 30 pounds heavier...

9. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Antwan Peek

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
    4.54 in the 40-yard dash (4.63 hand-held) … 2.57 in the 20-yard dash … 1.56 in the 10-yard dash … 36-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-5 broad jump … 1,625-pound leg press … 775-pound squat … 375-pound bench press … Bench presses 225 pounds 24 times … 370-pound squat … 6.7 percent body fat … Right-handed.

10. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

Its not just the workout numbers that make Merriman such an attractive prospect. The guy also has much skill and intensity. Here is a draft analysis from NFL.com:

11. texansalltheway

texansalltheway Rookie

I know this is nit picky but I thought he was going to slim down from his combine weight to show that he could play OLB and/or DE. Isn't 274 a little heavy for a LB. Any ways I doubt he'll last till the 13th pick because he is probably the #1 DE now.

12. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Adalius Thomas (Ravens) is 270 lbs.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't care if he can play inside or not, if he falls to 13 I'd rush my card to the podium and snag him asap.

14. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

agreed, i like what i've read about him moreso than what i've seen of DJ. 274lbs, 4.6 40' and 40" vertical while maintaing "flexibility, knee bend, agility and speed"...yes please :thumbup

15. Blake

Blake MMQB

I agree. This guy was meant to rush the QB from the OLB spot. There are so many 3-4 teams that could take him before us which kinda sucks.

Dallas could use him. San Diego could use him. Although they just signed Foley to a 3 year deal.

16. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

I would be estatic if the Texans managed to trade up and snag this guy. I don't think he'll be at 13 though.

17. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

DJ is the best Defensive Player in the draft. What are you talking about J. To compare Merrimen to DJ is like comparing Lawrence Taylor to Willie McGinest. That is just not smart. DJ's whole career was based on making playes Merrimen was a filler and pass rusher. He made plays but you cannot compare the best to someone else. This is the type of hype that gets you to pick someone like David Pollack with the 13th pick.

18. wags

wags Hall of Fame

I don't see how Merriman gets by these two teams.

19. Peeks wonderlic score was 13, just about smart enough to go outside to get the paper. This is one of the reasons that he may not be a full time starting OLB. I'm a major proponent to having smart players and I may emphasize the wonderlic more than I should, but a 13???

I'm not as high on Merriman as most of you all and would like to see us take a conventional ILB, not a tweener in the 1st 3 rounds. Guys that have been a LB before such as Channing or Grigsby. There are a lot of tweeners this year so if warranted we can pick one up in the later rounds, not the 1st.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Hasn't Merriman only been a DE one year? He was a LB in HS and for the 1st two years of college I thought.