Mel Kiper's 1st Mock Draft...

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Has the Texans selecting: Everette Brown, DE, Florida St. - 6'4" 252lbs:doot:

Here's the link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/insider/news/story?id=3849927

What I found surprising is that he doesn't have any Safeties going in the 1st. Good news for the Texans. Maybe William Moore or Louis Delmas will fall into laps in the 2nd. I've been impressed watching Delmas in the Senior Bowl practices. He wants to hit!

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I went to the Texas Bowl and flat out missed him ... ooops .

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Another link to Kiper's mock. I really don't see the OK State TE going that early (#11). The Texans would be very fortunate for the draft to break this way.

4. dsorc

dsorc Veteran

Moore is dropping like a stone right now. Comments from the senior bowl is that a change to LB might be in his future so I'm not surprised he's no longer a first round pick. Look out for Chung besides Delmas to crrep into late first territory.

Picks I'm against or confused about:
    3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC - They just broke the record for leat sacks in a season. DE should be a very high possibility. Plus Tighpen looked serviceable.
    7 Oakland Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri - Too early
    9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St. - With Capers as DC they're going to a 3-4; I would expect somebody for their front 7 to help the transition.
    11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St. - TE is a need but they probably need a DE more.
    16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia - No way they're letting Sproles go after seeing Turner in Atlanta. Bigger needs than a replacement for LT.
    17 New York Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida - I have no clue what he's thinking here. Harvin is probably a fringe first rounder and this is a team with solid WRs. They might go for a QB if they don't believe in Klemens. Otherwise CB is an option.
    18 Chicago Tyson Jackson DE LSU - A 3-4 DE for a 4-3 team. Probably should be Michael Johnson
    21 Philadelphia Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St. - Westbrook replacement not exactly a big priority yet.
    23 New England Brian Cushing LB USC - Clint Sintim UVA played in a 3-4 is also graded by most as late first and would make the transition faster.
    24 Atlanta Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois - Second round prospect
    25 Miami Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland - Miami needs a lot of secondary help so CB would be more logical. Also their WRs are young but serviceable.
    28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Michael Oher OT Mississippi - Will not drop this far

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    HoustonFrog likes this.
  5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Great review but I disagree only on Philly. Up until 2 years back Westbrook was an injury waiting to happen. He has been a stud without a doubt but is getting older and his health has been a late season concern most years. I think Wells is someone they can afford to plug in and take to have a combo.

6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Where does he ahve Raji going???

7. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

He has them going to Denver 12th overall.

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Thats exactly what Im worried about. Denver and GreenBay switching to a 3/4 are both going to need someone in the middle to build their D's around.

9. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Did Green Bay announce a change to the 3-4 defense? Just because they have Dom Capers doesn't mean they will be a 3-4 defense. He has coached 4-3 defenses as well.

10. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

during Day 3 of the Senior Bowl practice, one of the guys said he had spoken to a scout who focuses just on the Big 12, and the scout had said Pettigrew was the best overall player coming out of the Big 12 this year. Not just offensive, but BPA.

11. PhilpW

PhilpW Irish-American

It was out yestrday that GB was going to run a base 3-4 but would throw in the occasional 4-3 look.

12. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I'd be good with Brown. I'm starting to think that another direction maybe taken in the first, but I have yet to convince myself that I'm sold on the idea.

For anybody who saw the whole mock, did Brian Cushing go in the 1st, if so where?

13. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I obviously would like this very much.

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I would add on to that comment I think Reid might be more inclined torun the ball more(which they need to) if they had someone they could trust to take the load off Westbrook.

I'm not sold on Mark Sanchez but I think it's possible some team will take the gamble on him being a good enough QB in the first.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I agree on Eagles and hope that encourages them to trade up with us to get the OT. Say our #15 and a 4th for their two 1s?

16. dsorc

dsorc Veteran

You're about 300 points short based on draft pick value charts. Would have to include our 3rd as well or make it 1st and 2nd for their two 1sts. However their earlier 1st, 3rd, and 5th could be done. Or one of theirs 1sts plus Lito.

17. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

DE Everette Brown Florida State

Ill take him...

18. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

He's the best DE in the draft, I'd be thrilled if he fell to us but I'm not overly optomistic.

19. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Cushing played at the following positions while at USC; DE, ILB, OLB and SS. I'm thinking if he can play all of those positions in Pete Carroll's D, he'll make a pretty smooth transition to the pros, regardless of what D the team that picks him plays.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno if he's the best, but he appears to be atleast one of them and I to will be thrilled if we have a chance at him but I'm anxious about him lasting to #15.