Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2011 Draft

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2011 Draft

Houston Texans

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: In April, I wrote that Wade Phillips "got a lot of new toys to work with, and I think Houston did a solid job of addressing what was simply a bad defense in 2010." I probably didn't make a strong enough case because the first two picks, J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed, have played huge roles this season. Watt is arguably one of the top rookies in football, and Reed really came on, particularly after Mario Williams was lost for the year. If you consider that Houston got 11 sacks out of a combo of Williams and Reed, the injury to Super Mario doesn't seem so terrible. Of course, the big steal here was to find T.J. Yates in the fifth round after he wasn't even invited to the combine. After the draft, I wrote, "Yates could be a good one if given time to develop." I wouldn't exactly call his current experience a nice incubation period, but he has made what was already a good draft look somewhere closer to exceptional, at least in the short term. Good draft for Houston right now and for the future, which deserves a bump.

New grade: A-

Only two teams (San Francisco and Cleveland) had higher grades than Houston's and only four other teams finished with grades of A- or better.

2. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

If Brandon Harris can develop into even a nickel corner this draft becomes so much better that it already is.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

On a scale from 1 - 10, this draft was a 15.

4. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

Is this your fancy way of saying it's.."Off the charts"? :D

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

And we also drafted another CB, Rashad Carmichael from Virginia Tech, who went on IR early but could be a real sleeper in the upcoming offseason to develope into a player who can play some minutes.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I gave Texans A- the first time. Does that make me a better draft evaluator?

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It's Mel Kiper ... how low do you want the bar set?

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I still would like to know why Harris has not played very much.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, at the risk of going black and white with it, either he sucks, in which case the coaches and GM have did a terrible job wasting a 2nd round pick on him, or the coaches haven't put him on the field for other reasons (like their deluded belief that KJ is a starting caliber CB), and they did a terrible job managing the whole thing.

If there were no history of this sort of thing, I'd lean toward the former. Obviously, none of us really know.

10. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

Dude, you are high! Kevin Johnson is an excellent Commentary Broadcaster! :kitten:

11. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Hell of a basketball player too. Anybody from H-Town remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifx_gRF-ouU

12. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Alot of people would like to know this.

My hope is they drafted him to compete for a starting job. But then the Texans signed JoJo, and KJ & Allen have played solid... There's no reason to rush him on the field. Not to mention McCain has been awesome in the slot.

My feeling is Allen isn't re-signed and Harris takes over his spot.

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

That would be awful. Allen is a better CB than KJ. He's not a Pro Bowl caliber CB, but he makes plays on the ball and he actually looks for the ball, which results in fewer pass interference calls. If it were me, it would be an open competition for the #2, #3, and #4 CB job, and let the seeding work itself out. I suspect it would end up being Allen #2, KJ or Harris at #3, and the other at #4. McCain ends up being the 5th CB and ST player. McManus is the odd man out.

14. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Missing out Roc Charmichael there. I have no problem with the Harris situation for now.

As I see it, KJ has spent this season recovering from last. Why put the next guy you draft in that same situation. When you look at what Wade and Vance have done in a short off-season with JoJo who's improved from good to elite, Allen and KJ who's weaknesses have been minimized, and McCain, who is back to his rookie form. Why one earth wouldn't you believe that behind the scenes Harris has spent this season getting better without the pressure to play. I can't wait to see him in pre-season.

DocBar likes this.
  15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Don't forget about Carmichael too who is on IR right now.

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

There's a fair bit of middle ground between throwing a rookie out there as a starter with no competent vet across from him like they did to KJ and benching a second round rookie for an entire season. I'd feel a lot better about Harris if they had played him sparingly, in dime packages or certain situations. As it stands, he played nothing until the final game for a few snaps.

17. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Yes but we have 7 CB's on our roster, one of which got put on IR presumably to stash him. Only 2 of those are established vets, the rest have shown flashes of potential. McCain belongs in this league, McMannis deserved his chance to prove whether or not he did, I doubt he belongs on this team next season. Allen possibly moves on depending on cost, but in a numbers game they may feel its better to take the potential over the guy who's hit his ceiling and will cost a lot more. Who knows.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I mostly agree. When money comes into play, I have no hard stance on it either way. When we're talking strictly about play on the field, however, Allen has been our second best CB. I'd hate for the team to let go their second best CB, especially when they've done nothing on the field to prepare the second round draft pick, Harris. As I said before, I'd feel a lot better about it if they'd played Harris some at dime this year.

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-waiting/e17077a3-1dcc-4f78-a1a8-6250cac64876

thunderkyss and Jaysol like this.
  20. Jaysol

Jaysol 3rd String Rook