Mel Kiper draft grades - Tied for Highest

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Trogdor014, May 1, 2006.

1. Trogdor014

Trogdor014 Veteran

2. Specter

Specter Rookie

Yeah, I saw that Kiper gave us the top grade (tied). Maybe this will silence the critics a bit, I'll be on the lookout tomorrow on around the horn and PTI to see what they have to say about it. Either way, I'm really happy with our selections and in time everyone will see that Reggie was indeed about Reggie and not the team. I can't wait to see what the new tackles can do for us on the field but from what Eric Winston said in this website, man, it's going to be a good year! :redtowel:

3. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I like to see what they have to say as well. Anyway, we sure did a fine job!:redtowel: :redtowel:

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I thought Kiper was a dumb ***?

5. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

lol:

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't think it will take long for folks to see that it was a sound decision. I doubt Reggie and Benson will come to terms before TC..... so that will work in our favor. Then when the Saints get down to figuring what they are going to do with their Gazillion dollar backfield, more comparisons will arise.

Then when the talking heads get their heads out of their butts, they'll draw the obvious comparisons to Denver, the system, and their history of drafting runnngbacks.

7. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I don't know if he is or not but, he sounds decent given us B+!!

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I like Kiper. Hard to fault someones opinion who studies these guys year round. He actually is better to listen to on the radio about other sports compared to people we have around here. As for the grades, I think they will vary from site to site. It is going to be hard for people to look past the Reggie pick. They were saying on Mike and Mike how it is unfair because if Bush is awesome and Mario is is great, he will still be the Sam Bowie of this draft.

9. SuperMario

SuperMario Rookie

IMO, Reggie was all about Reggie. He wanted the money first, team second. Even if we did drafted Reggie, I don't think he would have stayed anyways when his contract is up.:twocents:

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I agree with you even though he said all the right things it always seemed like BS, you know when that salesmen is trying to sell you something you really wanted without any chance of getting a good deal becuase he knows or thinks you have no choice. guess agian Reggie :brickwall

11. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

To glance at Mel's notes of Texans

Personally, I don't see how one grades a draft to give it a certain "letter" - especially when they haven't played a down yet. I guess it's based off needs filled.

Never mind - guess I oughta read the opening statement.

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Too be honest, I did get the feeling that Bush's whole persona was a little toooo good and fakish looking.

When the offseason first started, I was worried about Bush running between the tackles anyway and I'm still not totally, completely, without a doubt convinced that he can do it. He's gonna have to prove it. Maybe he will.

As I've made clear, it's not that first pick I didn't like, but I'll discuss that in another thread.

13. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

I dont believe he really wanted to be here in Houston, thats why he priced his self out of here. I think he will do the same to the Saints!

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Actually, no I'll talk about it here some. The thing about that little article that strikes me is that he had good things to say about Jimmy Williams and Winston Justice, both of which were available to us. Why is it that we pass on great players because of attitude and off-the-field concerns when somebody else is willing to take them? Ya know what? They got through college without getting kicked out didn't they? These guys are approx. 22 yrs. old. Of course they're gonna be a little nutso. I just hate to see this kind of thing happen over and over, year after year, and MOST of them wind up being Pro-Bowl caliber players with no major problems after we pass on them.

Jimmy Williams could have been our OTHER Dunta Robinson. Think about that! 2 OF THEM!!! I'm thinking about coverage sacks. I'm thinking interceptions and corners who WILL hit the opposing RB. Throw in KO Simpson now and I'm thinking about CORNER BLITZES. From which side? Who freaking cares, lol. Either way. Whichever is his blind side.

OK, I'll get over it. (I think.) :)

15. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

If you watch the tape of Bush holding up the Saints jersey, he's probably the only green roomer that wasn't smiling. Vince, Mario, Brick, etc were all smiling when they got picked. Heck, even Leinart was and he slipped all the way to 10.

16. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I noticed that all week he had an ear to ear grin of pearly whites, but when he held up that jersey, it looked like a forced smirk. He was very transparent. I think he was/is wishing he hadnt "called our bluff" & just taken our initial offer.

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Got news for ya Reggie:

That was nooooo bluff. :)

18. caspian

caspian Rookie

The main criticism by far is passing on Reggie Bush...which is the one thing Kiper said he disagreed with.

19. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Well, Kiper didn't even mention the fact that we aquired Eric Moulds with a 5th and Kevin Walter with a 7th. That makes our grade that much higher.

What other team took it's 2006 draft picks and turned them into;
    a starting DE
    a #1b WR
    a #3wr
    a starting OLB
    at least one OL starter, maybe two

five or six starters from one draft? that's pretty good. Of course, it also reflects on the quality of our previous starters, but still pretty good IMO.

20. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Kiper didn't go out on a limb here with his post draft grades. His lowest grade was a C and his highest grade was a B+.