Mel Kiper 2013 Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Playoffs, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Kiper Mock 2.0 top 10 plus Texans.

No QBs in first round?

2. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I can live with Patton in the 1st. I disagree though, their will be several QB's taken in the 1st round. QB's are always in need and get over drafted based on that need.

3. Playoffs

I agree, and hope we see 2,3.4 QBs drafted early to push the better talent options down to us.

Kiper intentionally left QB out of the 1st round just so he & McShay will have more to argue about.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

This is classic Kipper statement. Let draft season officially begin even though you, me & many others have been mocking & analyzing prospects since beginning of last season. I personally like it when he drums up other positions besides QB position which is constantly overdrafted with few exceptions (Aaron Rodgers @ Russel Wilson come to mind).

Really like Patton pick. If texans come up empty in free agency to address WR position I'm on board. Maybe his draft grade is not first round now but he would be the impact player they're looking for. I wouldn't stop there either, grab a mid to late round burner too to really stretch the field. Schaub/Kubiak are under scrutiny to perform so adding weapons must be their priortiy.

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

You wouldn't want to see how K Mart, Posey, and Jean develop with added reps? Throwing 2 more young guys into the rotation really thins out the reps to go around.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Agree on Patton..would like to see KC trade up with us to use #27 for a QB. We could still get great player @ top of second plus a fourth. Lots of interesting players projected to second round. We could pull in two and imo trade up into second round if right player there. Three seconds and a third = gravy for de chicken. We could land a NT, ILB, WR and?

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think many of are leery of those three doing much next season. Two may not be able to get on field much and Martin better hope his returns improve. Neither of those three have given any hope they will have a better season. If I am going to cross my fingers on a position, I do not want it to be WR.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

No, I wouldn't want to see, I've already seen.

K-Mart is a 4-5 WR/PR type guy.

Posey is hurt and will be lucky to make it back 100% ever.

Jean, will be an avg WR at best and a disappointment at worst.

So adding 2 WR's to add competition to the mix can only improve the team.

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

It's to soon to say this.

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

An avg #3 at best and I'm being kind.

Of course I have a huge aversion to Big 10 WR/DB's.

11. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I rather see us drafting D line prospect as this year is supposed to be loaded with D line talent. For WR, I wouldn't be against it to draft one of them in 2nd rd or later. Or, trading out of 1st to obtain extra picks that is if we are able to find willing trade partner. This allow us to find good DT and WR both in the 2nd rd IMO.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Of course I want to see our current Kmart, Jean & Posey develop & take that next step but Texans cannot afford to wait until Posey rehabs or Jean develops or Martin learning curve is self evident. Do you really feel Kubiak/Schaub can survive another repeat performance? I can't which is reason why they will inevitably succumb to dire need. All I can say is it's not a perfect world for Texans fans, I would be all in favor of building defense because that's proven to win championships, but a serious rotation is due 4 WR position.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Although I'm an it's time to fix the offense guy, if Datone Jones is there in the 1st and Brandon Williams is there in the 2nd Rick should personally run the card up to God'ell.

Find a WR in the 3rd (Tavarres King type and an OT in the 3/4th rd range. Quessenberry/Brendan Williams.)

14. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

K Mart will develop into a good #3/slot WR in time, the game was just to big for him last year but I see potential in him and am not that worried about him. Posey will be out all next season on IR and will be lucky to ever play NFL WR again at an average level. His career could be over. Jean has been with the team for 2 yrs. now and his ass should be on the bubble in training camp next season. He looks the part of an NFL WR but the game seems to big for him as well and we can't wait forever. I agree with BL's idea of taking 2 WR in this draft and have done so in my latest mock as well. It's a team weakness, best to double up on it with better quality talent.

15. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Martin was a slot WR in college so not sure why anyone expects he'd be more than that at the next level. And I don't say that like it's a bad thing, I'm just saying he's an added weapon but not the solution to the WR problem. Everyone needs a good slot WR but we need to upgrade Walter at the 2 and find an eventual replacement for Andre at the 1.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Could be, but I don't think it's very probable. I also don't believe there is any reason to believe he'll be on IR all year. Demayriius Thomas tore his achilles in OTAs & was still able to play opening day.

Posey tore his 4 months prior to OTAs, I think we should expect him to play opening day.

Both Welker & Harvin are slot receivers who play big roles for their teams. I think he did a great job of being able to get open last season & if he & Matt get their timing down, he'll most likely get on the field earlier than anyone we could possibly draft.

I'm not opposed to KDub being on this team, I just don't care for the money he's making or the number of snaps he gets. There's no reason Martin can't take snaps from Walter, even though he's a slot receiver.

That said, I'd be highly disappointed if we don't draft a WR on the first day.

17. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

This all depends on the severity of the torn Achilles tendon. They grade these things depending on severity and I haven't heard anything about how badly Posey's tear was. Just like a bone, hairline crack or compound fracture, both are broken bones but 2 totally different things. Let's hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

18. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I think Doc (CNNND) said something about it depends on if it was a partial tear or a complete tear. Sounds like Thomas may have had a partial tear since he was only out a short time. I don't know about Posey.

19. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Not saying this couldn't happen, but I think it's unlikely.

If KC passes on a QB (Geno), I'm wondering if the Jags will jump at him. If they pass, well, there could be a fall of the QB's, and that doesn't help the Texans. Unless, someone does grab Geno Smith in the mid 1st which starts a run and then KC and the Jags may try to move back into the 1st by trading up! :thinking: That could benefit the Texans!

20. Playoffs

WRs ahead of our pick: