Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McShay's 2017 Mock Draft 3.0

Where's 'Cak with his "exception to the rules" quip when you need him?

ObsiWan, if you're looking at Josh Dobbs as a franchise QB, a Super Bowl winning prospect, more power to you.

I believe the Texans will most likely do something similar. & I appreciate you helping us prepare for that inevitability.

But right now, I'm questioning McShay's "This is what I'd do if I were the Texans."
Understand your viewpoint. That's why I said, "your views may vary" in an upthread post.

Right now I'm thinking O'Brien really isn't into starting rookie QBs. Especially given he's got one guy going into his 2nd year in his system and another going into his 4th year. Therefore, I don't think any of the 2017 QB draft class has a shot at beating either of these guys out with O'Brien running the show.
O'Brien isn't as free-thinking as Pete Carroll. And, hopefully, he won't be pressed into desperation mode like Dallas was (that's the only way they found out what a gem they had in Prescott). So I don't think O'Brien will start a rookie QB over two guys with experience.

I remember seeing Belichick say (this was on an episode of "A Football Life"), "if there's no one in the first round who can, for sure, crack our starting lineup, I'm looking to trade down and get more picks. Rounds 2-4 is where you find quality depth so I'm all about accumulating picks in those rounds"

So, given we have a real need in the O-line and at safety, I'm good with using my first two picks to grab someone who has a shot to start as opposed to grabbing someone, with my 1st rd pick, who won't see the field.

but that's just me. again, your views may vary.
:)

Kiper/Mcshay just had a mock draft special on ESPN 2. They gave us Takkarist Mckinley OLB UCLA.

Mitch Trubisky was only QB taken at that point. Ryan Ramczyk, Derek Barnett, and Zach Cunningham were other non QB options available.

Kiper/Mcshay just had a mock draft special on ESPN 2. They gave us Takkarist Mckinley OLB UCLA.

Mitch Trubisky was only QB taken at that point. Ryan Ramczyk, Derek Barnett, and Zach Cunningham were other non QB options available.

Kiper and McShay just don't like the Texans.

I saw that. Kiper said he was "that close" to pulling the trigger on Ramczyk for us ("this was, by far, the hardest decision of the first round for me" - Kiper). But decided to go defense since there would be quality OLs in the 2nd round and he decided to boost the defense.

I'm not sold on McKinley as a 1st rounder so taking him ahead of Watson, Mahomes, Ramczyk, etc was pretty awful IMO.

Agreed. I have 1st round grades on quite a few edge guys in this draft but McKinley is not one of them. He may not even be a top 50 guy for me.

Some people here would riot; McShay's Final Mock 2017:

1. Cleveland Browns

Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

Everything I hear suggests the Browns like Trubisky the best among the QBs. It's unlikely he drops to No. 12, where Cleveland picks again. So the questions become: Take Myles Garrett here and try to trade back up for Trubisky? Or take the QB and address pass-rusher at No. 12? Fascinating dilemma.

2. San Francisco 49ers

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

I keep hearing the 49ers want to trade back, but Garrett unexpectedly falling to them would be a slam dunk for a team that needs more pass-rush help.

3. Chicago Bears

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Adams is the No. 2 player on our board and one of the cleanest prospects in a class full of character and durability question marks. He'd be an impact player from day one for this defense.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

I would love this pick if it ends up happening. Take some pressure off of QB Blake Bortles, run the football and play defense. If Fournette were off the board at this point, Alabama TE O.J. Howard would be in play. I've also heard rumors of potential interest in Clemson QB Deshaun Watson.

5. Tennessee Titans (from Rams)

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

The Titans will try to shop this pick -- and shop it even harder if both Adams and Lattimore are gone. But the way the board fell, Tennessee gets the best man-to-man cover corner in the draft. According to many teams I've spoken to, Lattimore's hamstring injuries don't pose as big of a risk as initially thought.

6. New York Jets

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

The Jets can't afford to whiff on a top-10 pick like they did back in 2013 with Dee Milliner. Howard is one of the safest prospects in this draft. He's very similar to Greg Olsen: big, athletic target who can cause issues down the seam and contribute as a blocker. The Jets have had just 26 catches from tight ends in the past two seasons, by far the fewest in the league (Arizona is second worst with 97).

7. Los Angeles Chargers

Solomon Thomas, DT, Stanford

Los Angeles is another sneaky landing spot for Deshaun Watson, but would the Chargers be able to pass up the value of Thomas here (he's the No. 3 player on our board)? He'd add another great pass-rusher to Los Angeles' front.

8. Carolina Panthers

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

My intel says that Carolina wants Fournette -- and they might be willing to trade up to get him. But the Panthers also are big fans of McCaffrey. He has outstanding intangibles and would give Carolina a young RB who can run between the tackles and be a threat as a slot receiver.

9. Cincinnati Bengals

Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama

Cincinnati likes Tennessee DE Derek Barnett, and Alabama LB Reuben Foster also could be in play here. But I think Allen will be the pick if he falls this far. He's a ferocious interior pass-rusher. Long-term concerns over the health of his shoulders could cause him to fall a bit on Thursday.

10. Buffalo Bills

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Foster is one of the five best pure football players in this draft. He could drop because of concerns about whom he surrounds himself with. But he's a true three-down linebacker, with the speed to cover and the tackling ability to stuff the run

11. New Orleans Saints

Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

Harris is a hot name right now because of his ability to get after the quarterback. New Orleans has to find a way to get better in that area.

12. Cleveland Browns (from Eagles)

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Barnett finished his career with 33 sacks. He's not the longest or twitchiest athlete, but he plays with great technique and a consistent motor.

13. Arizona Cardinals

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Hooker had three different surgeries this offseason, which could cause him to fall farther than expected. This would be a blessing for the Cardinals, who lost safeties Tony Jefferson and D.J. Swearinger in free agency. Hooker is the best ball-hawking safety in this draft class.

14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Vikings)

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

The Eagles picked up Alshon Jeffery on a reasonable one-year deal this offseason. Williams -- who's basically a clone of Jeffery from when he came out of South Carolina -- would benefit from not having to be the focal point of an offense from day one. His route running is still pretty raw.

15. Indianapolis Colts

Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

The Colts love Alabama LB Reuben Foster, but he didn't fall to them in this scenario. Reddick has elite athleticism and showed the ability to play in space during a superb Senior Bowl week.

16. Baltimore Ravens

Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky

The Ravens are hoping Reddick falls to them here. They also need offensive line help, which is where Lamp comes in. He started all four seasons in college, and he has great feet.

17. Washington Redskins

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

The Redskins could trade back and try to still get Cook. He fills a huge need on their offense and has game-breaking ability. The two concerns: his history of shoulder issues and the people he surrounds himself with.

18. Tennessee Titans

Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

Davis wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash prior to the draft after having offseason ankle injury. But he plays like a 4.4 guy and is a really smooth route runner. Marcus Mariota needs more weapons on the perimeter.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

The Buccaneers really like Cook, but with him off the board, Humphrey would be enticing. He has the physical skill set to be a really good player; the only concern is his lack of ball skills

20. Denver Broncos

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

Ramczyk showed elite pass-protection ability in his one season at Wisconsin, and the Broncos have to find a way to keep their quarterback upright next season. He has the skill set to start early in his career, provided his hip heals fine from offseason surgery.

21. Detroit Lions

David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)

As TE Eric Ebron enters what could be the final year of his contract, don't be surprised if the Lions take advantage of a very deep tight end class. Njoku has the athleticism to cause all sorts of problems for defenses in the red zone.

22. Miami Dolphins

Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA

McKinley has the best motor of any defensive player I've watched all year. He has an elite first step and would give Miami a high-upside player to develop opposite of Cameron Wake.

23. New York Giants

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

Ereck Flowers hasn't gotten the job done at left tackle since the Giants selected him No. 9 overall in 2015. Bolles, who's the most athletic lineman in this class, has the ability to be a starting left tackle.

24. Oakland Raiders

Kevin King, CB, Washington

While King's tape is closer to that of a second-round prospect, his rare combination of length, speed and agility could very well land him in Round 1.

25. Houston Texans

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Watson isn't ready to start from Day 1, and with Tom Savage in Houston, he wouldn't have to. Watson needs to improve his deep accuracy, but he has the physical tools and rare intangibles to grow into a good NFL starter.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

Robinson is an elite run-blocker and his long arms give him a chance to eventually develop into a starting left tackle. He could play either tackle or guard for the Seahawks in the interim, as they have needs at several positions along their O-line.

27. Kansas City Chiefs

Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida

The Chiefs love Davis and would be thrilled if he fell here. Derrick Johnson is 34 years old and coming off his second torn Achilles in the past three seasons. Davis has the athleticism to excel in the modern NFL, which forces linebackers to cover a lot of ground.

28. Dallas Cowboys

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

I've been hearing Kevin King buzz with the Cowboys, but with him off the board, Dallas could be enticed by a safe prospect like White. He started 47 career games at LSU and showed great instincts in coverage.

29. Green Bay Packers

Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC

Jackson has the second-best ball skills in this DBs class (behind Malik Hooker), and the Packers really struggled at cornerback late in the season. Jackson is a natural playmaker on defense (five picks last season) and special teams (eight career return TDs).

30. Pittsburgh Steelers

Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi

Engram is the model for a new-age tight end. He ran a 4.42 40-yard dash at 234 pounds, which is just ridiculous. With his ability to stretch the field vertically and make big plays after the catch, Engram would be the perfect matchup piece for offensive coordinator Todd Haley's scheme.

31. Atlanta Falcons

John Ross, WR, Washington

When he's healthy, Ross is the top big-play wide receiver in this class. His 4.22 speed is no joke: When you watch his tape, he's noticeably faster than other really speedy guys.

32. New Orleans Saints (from Patriots)

Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

Here's the deal: I think Mahomes will go in the first round; there just wasn't a great spot to put him without being able to account for trades. I suppose he could be in play for the Saints, who need to start planning for life without Drew Brees, but there's a good chance Mahomes is off the board at this point. Other teams to keep an eye on for Mahomes if the board falls differently tomorrow: Arizona and Kansas City. There's also the possibility that a team could trade back into Round 1 to take him.

I'd lose sleep if I were O'Brien...if RS selects at 25, QB- Deshaun Watson and the Seahawks at 26, select OT- Cam Robinson!!! And the rich get richer!!! Savage is looking at the floor and Wilson is running around slapping high fives.....but he isn't going to be running for his life on Sunday's.

I'd lose sleep if I were O'Brien...if RS selects at 25, QB- Deshaun Watson and the Seahawks at 26, select OT- Cam Robinson!!! And the rich get richer!!! Savage is looking at the floor and Wilson is running around slapping high fives.....but he isn't going to be running for his life on Sunday's.
Is the difference between Robinson and a RT in the 2nd round that great? I doubt it.

Back