McShay 3.0

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by HoustonFrog, Feb 10, 2011.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

2. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I really don't see us taking a DB with our first pick but thanks for sharing.

3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

please god no....not another db in the 1st. not only b/c i wouldn't like it, but b/c i heard/read somewhere that the secondary seems to be an area phillips has struggled with shoring up via the draft & FA over his career as a d-coordinator. Someone tell me i heard wrong about that...... please....

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I have read where Jimmy Smith's workouts have been crazy good and he is racing up boards....but I don't think they take him there.

If anyone is wondering they have Von Miller going at #3 to Buffalo.

5. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

The last thing I want is a 1st round corner. The. Last. Thing.

2+ Free agent vets to the secondary, Front Seven Defensive stud in the 1st round.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Peterson slipping out of the Top 5? With the Titans taking Prince at #8, I assume McShay has Peterson at #6 to the Browns or #7 to the 49'ers?

If it's the Browns, then probably Dareus to the 9'ers. Who's he got the Redskins taking, Julio Jones? I'd take Julio over Jimmy Smith, if he were available.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Does anyone know what the Texans will do? They have a pretty solid reputation for draft day surprises :vincepalm:

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

No,

But I'm sure we will be treated to another OkOye/Jackson type experience.

9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Okoye was the consensus right pick by most experts...can't fault them for that one. Duane Brown & jackson out of left field...another story. Not saying that Brown has been bad for us so far...

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

1. Bowers
    2. Fairley
    3. Miller
    4. Green
    5. Gabbert
    6. Dareus
    7. Peterson
    8. Amukamara
    9. Watt
    10. Newton
    11. Jimmy Smith
    12. Quinn
    13. Solder
    14. Jones
    15. Ingram
    16. Clayborn
    17. Jordan
    18. A. Smith
    19. Tyron Smith
    20. Kerrigan
    21. Ayers
    22. Castonzo
    23. Carimi
    24. Houston
    25. Locker
    26. Cobb
    27. Pouncey
    28. Watkins
    29. Liuget
    30. Taylor
    31. Ijalana
    32. Wilkerson

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Disagree on Okoye. I hated that pick from the jump. He was to young and he was a project player. The Texans were never in any position to be picking project players. Michael Griffin was available at the time and we were in a huge need of a safety. I think Willis was available at that time as well.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

For once can we pass on the guys that have been shooting up the draft boards and take the one that has been there all along?

13. Blake

Blake MMQB

I agree with your points. But, no huge reason to take Willis with Ryans just drafted the year before. Although Griffin and Revis were still on the board.

14. Texecutioner

Easy to look at Revis in hind sight and call that one a mistake, but with CB's man they're hard to judge. Revis was a top CB that year, but I don't think any GM expected him to be that good. I never had a problem with the Texans picking Jackson. I had a problem with them doing nothing the past two off seasons prior to where "they had" to pick Jackson because they were in a corner. Jackson looked like he'd be a pretty good CB and I still think he has the potential to be.

I somewhat can agree with you on the Willis thing, but that he was a "can't miss" kind of guy as well as what Griffin looked to be like and we needed a safety bad and still do unfortunately.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I hated the pick as well but it was mainly b/c i didn't think Okoye was anything special from a talent standpoint to begin with. but what i was really trying to say is i don't think anyone outside of the organization lambasted them for reaching or had Okoye way off the radar from where we actually picked him.

16. Texecutioner

That part is true and we did need a DT still at the time. The position was definitely one of need, but just not for a project type of player.

17. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Speaking of Am0bi Ok0ye.....

Seems like he came on real strong at the Senior Bowl and the Combine that year. God knows he hasn't done anything since then.

Maybe there was a few guys on the board that didn't like the pick, but I don't remember any of the Kipers or McShays having a bad word to say about the pick at the time.

18. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I agree with Texecutioner. I was against the okoye pick from the start. I was high on Willis and Griffin...pretty sure we both were.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Okoye is the ***** college recruit at age 19. A flat-out beast. Only problem was, he also peaked at 19, like most of the overhyped recruits.

Outside of Suh, most first round DTs haven't done much in the past five years or so.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I wanted Willis at the time of the Okoye was taken. But thought OkOye wasn't a bad pick. As it turned out OkOye was an awful pick.

Looking forward this is why I hope BoB spends the $$$$ to get a vet NT that has a proven track record and Gary/Rick/Wade or whoever runs the band of idiots that the Texans call a war room. Have the foresight to draft a developmental NT like Ellis/Fua in the 3/4 th rd area.

The problem with the draft in the Kubiak era is they always draft for need early in the draft and dont draft the BPA or trade down to aquire more picks so that they are in the slot that BPA meets need. This philosiphy hasn't worked and needs to change. (I dont see it changing with the same people in charge.)

I wouldn't expect Mr.Tex to be able to understand this philosophy. Because in his eyes the Texans BoB/Gary/Rick can do no wrong. Even though their record is what it is and all of the rationalization in the world cant get around their record.

He keeps on trying though. LOL