McNair seeks City involvement in bid for 2017 Superbowl

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by beerlover, May 25, 2012.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mcnair-thinks-city-lead-super-174019367--nfl.html

thoughts? I like it myself, take some initiative & resolve Astrodome while they're at it making Houston a Big Venue destination for real....

2. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Maybe a future Olympic bid?

3. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

4. Yankee_In_TX

The largest issue with sporting event bids is the media is either:

(1) at the crown plaza (shabby hotel, bad neighborhood and not good eateries nearby)

or

(2) downtown (then they complain they are too far from Reliant).

The 'studies' swear up and down no hotel in its right mind would build there (see my thread) and every 'proposal' that studies approve seem to be a waste of taxpayer money to build more things for the rodeo, IMHO.

5. Premier

Premier All Pro

houstonians are the only people who call the astronome the 8th wonder of the world..

6. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

7. Premier

Premier All Pro

people all over the world do not call the astrodome the 8th wonder of the world.. i doubt many other countries know it even exist.. it has its place in history and was once referenced as the 8th wonder but no one outside of texas calls it that..before the internet /information age i never knew many of those other things were referred to as the 8th wonders also.. its a regional thing..

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Too bad AstroWorld is no more .... Allowing that to leave Houston was a mistake IMO and added to the "To do list" when in the area , especially once they added Waterworld and Southern Star to the mix. The complex was a one stop shop for entertainment .... Now people spend their disposable income in Dallas and San Antonio instead ....

I have no idea what to do with the Astrodome .... When you have Reliant Stadium next door , its kinda redundant and antiquated to top it off.
    There has to be a better use for the space it occupies than parking.

9. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I agree. Building another frickin' parking lot lacks vision and imagination. A sports complex for high school playoff games (so they won't rip up Reliant field for the big boys). Or maybe make it a centerpiece track & field complex for the Texas Relays and AAU pre-Olympic trials. A downtown park center maybe like a Discovery Green on steroids...

Hell, I dunno... I lack vision and imagination. Who are the business visionaries in our group? I'm a rocket guy.

10. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

NOT NOW, but back in the day they did.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The bold would be my choice ... Need some green in the middle of all that concrete and steel.

12. Yankee_In_TX

Like I said in the other thread - for the on site venues (Astrodome and Reliant Arena) the rodeo will block anything that doesn't benefit them (more meeting spaces).

Across the street (Astorworld), well, I have no idea why it has not been developed.

The studies happen to say that no private investor would ever build a hotel down their due to low projected occupancy rates.

IF that is true, they screw it, build a parking lot and plant some trees.

I happen to personally think the studies say what the rodeo wants.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

Just build something useful.

14. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

The city didn't "allow" it to leave. Six Flags shut it down because they were losing money. The other Six Flags parks are head and shoulders above Astroworld and as fun as it was, it simply couldn't hold a candle to the other parks. If Astroworld was so great and making them a bunch of money, they wouldn't have closed it down.

15. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Yup. We were there when Greezed Lightning was auctioned (did not meet reserve. in fact I think only Gunslinger met the reserve). My brother picked up the famous Sword in the Stone sign and my ma got a Bluebonnet sign that was put up near the Astroway. I got nothing. I was broke then but I really enjoyed looking at the stuff upclose. I sat in an Ultra Twister car laying on the ground. :(

Sux Flags made a mistake when they shut that park down. All the parks were losing money. They only sold it because it was WORTH MORE as a vacant lot and couple that after they had that 25 million dollar failure in the Texas Tornado ride a couple years earlier. Some people say that it shut down because it was an inexpensive daycare for their teens. A season pass was like 40 bucks. It became a dangerous place, a definite fixable problem with more security. Sux flags saw all the potential money that the shiny new stadium across the street brought in. Their extortion plans failed though. Sux flags sucks.

BTW... this picture was taken last weekend. We go again next weekend but to Dallas instead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Like I said above .... Dallas and San Antonio are getting that disposable income instead of Houston now ....:choke:

17. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Um ... no, there's not.

It's not the visions and imaginations that are lacking. What's lacking are the funds to back up these visions and imaginations. You hear all these 'visions and imaginations' in all these "studies" that cost at least 50,000 tax-payer dollars a pop.

Put an end to all idealistic visions and imaginations, and get practical for a change. Tear the thing down, turn it into a parking lot, and use the parking fees to clear that 29.5 million that's still owed on the Dome off the books.

18. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

But Houston receives more visitors than DFW...international and domestic. The tourism in Houston, for now, is all centered around the Bay Area and Galveston. I can't tell you how many times I have had classmates up here go to Houston for a vacation. It is in the middle of the prairie, so we all feel trapped up here.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

McNair is a visionary, afterall he brought us the Texans :logo:

In end his family will serve Houston best interest of that I'm certain.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I've asked myself many times..........what huge city doesn't have a major amusement park besides Houston.

Arlington's Six Flags generates an attendance of ~3 million..........in 4 months. Six Flags folded in Houston because of poor business moves and mismanagement, and arguing amongst the stockholders and management. Stop worrying about how to generate revenues utilizing the Astrodome (which is highly unlikely) and get these big buck investors to collaborate with the city to build a 9th Wonder(land) of the world right here in Houston!:tiphat: