McNair quotes

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texanator, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Texanator

Texanator Rabid Brahma

Just when you thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
    This quote from Uncle Bob......
    "And I talk a lot with (Dallas Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones. Jerry and I have a lot of common interests and look things in many ways in very similar ways."
    :listening

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is SCAREY! Please take a peak at HoustonFrog's thread (in the NFL forum) on statements from Jerry Jones yesterday, and then see what you think about McNair's quote.:kubepalm::wadepalm:

3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I tried to follow Jerry's diatribe and got a headache.

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Well the transparent nature of how both of them handled their latest coaching hire sure looked a lot alike.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

When history looks back on the 90's Cowboys championships, they see a work created by Jimmy Johnson. That's disturbing to Jerry Jones. If he wins another Lombardi trophy, he wants the world to know who was responsible. That's why Jones wants his fingerprints all over his team and doesn't want a "football guy".

I don't know what Jones is telling McNair, but McNair doesn't seem to be listening. Dallas is on their 4th head coach since the Texans inception. Jones is not afraid of change. McNair is terrified of it.

Brisco_County likes this.
  6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'll take McNair and checkered table clothes all day over Jerry Jones and his circus of glamour.
    I go back and forth on Kubiak. He does some seriously stupid things, but I would sure hate to lose the offense he's given us. One more chance, if he doesn't improve, give him the boot. By that time, maybe Gruden and/or Cowher will be a little moreinterested in coaching and a little more reasonable at the negotiating table.

7. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Read the book "Boys will be boys." It details the Cowboys of the 90s. That entire dynasty was built on the genius of Jimmy Johnson. Johnson was one of the best coaches to every work in football.

As for McNair-Jones, at the very least, Jerry Jones puts winning above all else. McNair does not.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

My New Year's resolution is to read 25 books this year. I'll make that one of them.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It's a great book.

A must read even if you're not a Cowgirl fan. I gives you a clue as to the ruthlessness of Jerrah and the mindset of a marketing genius. In that respect BoB and Jerrah have alot in common.

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm not sure I agree with that. IMO, McNair is more interested in building a winner for the long term, not so much for making a knee-jerk, reactionary splash that might or might not result in good things for the franchise. Looking at the Cowgirls since the Texans have been in the league, it's hard to argue that all JJ cares about is winning. He likes headlines at least as much as winning.

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I didn't know McNair was a bar fly ?

12. houstonspartan

I didn't say JJ has made good moves. But his heart is in the right place. Everyone knows that it doesn't take 6 years to turn a team around. But McNair does. That's a problem.

And, I'm tired of the "we are building for the long term" argument, as if Kubiak is some kind of future Bill Belichik. He's not. Using that theory, and considering how long Kubiak had had, he'd better guarantee a Super Bowl win next year. Right?

13. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

The title should be "McNair QUOTE", only one meaningless quote and no link.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I think the Super Bowl is quite a reach, but I'd bet money that it's playoff or bust for Kubiak in '11.

15. houstonspartan

No no. No more "just reaching the playoffs" talk. Considering the time given kubiak, a DEEP playoff run - if not a Super Bowl WIN - should be expected.

You can't have it both ways. If we are going to keep giving Kubiak chances, the bar should be raised.

And, wasn't the mantra "playoffs or bust" in 2010?

16. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Wasn't this the mantra last year?

Which makes Kubiak almost Carr-like in that they were both held onto for at least one year too long. I guess that only makes sense when you also consider it's been said Kubiak needed to say he could fix Carr to seal the HC job.

17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

The "Bust" part was firing the defensive coordinator.

Not quite the "bust" part that a lot of fans were expecting or wanting.

Before the season started, I thought that Kubiak would keep his job as long as he finished 8-8 or better. Maybe even 7-9.

I didn't think he'd keep it at 6-10 or worse. But I was wrong. I think he would have been fired if more of losses weren't those last second flukes or if the team wasn't at least fighting back.

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That was the mantra coming from some of the players, evidently not from McNair.

We can't know that til after the '11 season. I really hope you're wrong on that, though.

19. Texanator

Texanator Rabid Brahma

That's just plain Spooky Cloak. Good post!

20. Texanator

Texanator Rabid Brahma