McNair-Passion for the Game

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Insideop, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I'm hoping it'll rub off on Mario (Williams). If Mario could develop that kind of intensity with his athletic ability, oh my goodness.

"And you've got Amobi (Okoye), who is just an outstanding person, but he doesn't have that tiger in him yet. But he's young, and as he matures, I think he will become a little more intense."

Seems like Mr. Mcnair has been reading our Mario, You Suck threads and noticed how Mario responds to them.

Amobi, that's not fans talking. That's the man that writes your checks.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

It is statements like these..........."a LITTLE more intense??????".........."a little more intense is supposed to make the difference? These types of sad expectations contribute to why can't get the most out of many players......and still hang on to them forever. I hope that Amobi turns up the burners, but it won't happen because he becomes "a LITTLE more intense."

4. Austrian

Austrian Hall of Fame

What happened to Richard Justice? I really enjoyed reading his last few articles.

5. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Thanks. Good read, Doc. I hope they post this and make it required reading to the entire team and they respond. 33 players with Cush's passion, look out NFL. Sadly I think passion is one of those things that come from within and are either there or it's not. Hopefully, it can be instilled and Mr. McNair's words can bring it out. I hope so.

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

From the article:

Hmmm ....

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

While I agree with much of what McNair said, I'm not sure he is the one to say it. People are who they are. Bernard Pollard is Bernard Pollard because he is Bernard Pollard. Amobi Okoye won't suddenly morph into Bernard Pollard.

It's the coach's job to maximize the players' talents. To give a pat on the back, or a kick in the seat. Whatever the situation calls for. It's the owners job to select the right coach, and pay the players who produce. Speak softly, and carry a big checkbook. I don't want Bob McNair to become a Drayton "What have you done to become a champion today?" McLane.

8. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/25/cushing-still-a-favorite-of-texans-owner/

Linebacker Brian Cushing brought the Texans and the league's PED problems plenty of unwanted attention this offseason, not to mention a major hole in Houston's lineup to open the season.

That hasn't dimmed Texans owner Bob McNair's enthusiasm for last year's Defensive Rookie of the Year, however. McNair sees Cushing as the ideal Houston Texan.

"Everybody I've talked to -- strength coaches, assistant coaches, what have you -- say Brian Cushing is the hardest-working athlete they've ever worked with, that his workouts are so strenuous that no one could compare," McNair told Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.

Asked what he's learned in nine years of being owner, McNair essentially said he needs to find more Cushings. And fewer guys like David Carr.

"Maybe in the case of David Carr, that was probably the one thing we overlooked," McNair said. "I think David enjoyed the game, but I don't think he has that real burning desire, that passion, that not only do I want to play, but I want to be the very best at this position."

Cushing is the exact opposite, according to McNair: "There's not anybody on that field more intense than Brian, and the players know that," McNair said.

The Texans couldn't stand behind Cushing any stronger. They recognize he will be a huge part of the franchise for years to come and see his suspension as a temporary setback. McNair, in fact, hopes that Cushing's intensity rubs off on Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye.

Well, starting in Week Five at least.

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

that was a good read, intensity would help

10. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Hopefully Mario and Amobi are bright enough to get the message.

If the players don't understand what McNair was saying without him raising his voice, then they are hopeless indeed.

McNair said all that needs to be said, no ranting, no raving, no throwing players under the bus. That is up to the coaches, not the owner. In fact I imagine the coaches will take McNairs comments to heart. A little motivation perhaps.

I've stated before on this site that I think Mario, so far, has been a very over rated player by many here. The guy just doesn't seem motivated to me. But that is just one mans opinion.

Amobe, well it's time to stop giving him a pass because of his age. Time to grow up. Almost a bust, but we'll see what this year brings.

Personally I don't think the D would miss a beat without either one of them.
    Sad to say about two high draft picks.

Refreshing to be talking about football for a change.

:coffee:

steelbtexan likes this.
  11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Intensity starts at the top so this is a good sign that the Texans will play with more passion & sense of urgency :logo:

12. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Love McNair, but don't like the message he is sending by putting a guy who is suspended for the first four games of the season as the model for other players to follow...when taking performance-enhancing substances, it is no wonder you are more intense on the field and during workouts...

13. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Totally agree. If McNair wants the players to stay united and keep concerns within the lockerroom, then he shouldn't be airing out his concerns, and singling out players as not doing enough. I'm not sure if we have the total quote in context, but I think this is a distraction.

Mario Williams is going to be due for a contract. Do you really want to disgruntle him before the Brinks truck is going to have to roll up??

Players are who they are. Andre Johnson isn't going to turn into a non-quiet guy, and to expect Mario Williams from a small town in North Carolina to turn into a mouthy guy like Pollard isn't going to happen.

It makes me think of the Kareem Abdul Jabbar scene in Airplane where he blows up about people who things he doesn't show enough hustle. Williams had a messed up shoulder last year but didn't miss a game. And according to PFF (a source I don't trust on a lot of stuff, but probably would be okay and seeing what players are in the game at defensive line), Williams had among the most snaps in the league at 4-3 defensive end. About 150 more than Peppers, 100 more than Schobel. He had around the same number of snaps as a very mouth guy in Jared Allen, but Allen also has tons more help on the line. You try to show mouthy, hyped-up intensity for 950 defensive snaps where you are the largest part of the sack totals for the team.

McNair not being helpful in essence equating Carr to Williams, Okoye, even if it is true.

14. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

I don't think McNair was saying he hoped Andre would turn into a non-quiet guy or that Mario would become a mouthy guy. I think what he was implying that certain players' on-field "PLAY" become more intense, not their personality traits. Andre is a very intense WR, and shows it through his play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWqMqrZwTU He can be as quiet as he wants to be, it doesn't affect his play.

Mario and Amobe have all the physical abilities to dominate at their positions. They just lack that intangible known as "heart" or "passion" that some players like Cush or Pollard have. Players in all sports tend to bring their passion level up in contract years, so it seems to be something that can be controlled. "Quiet" guys like Mario and Amobe should continue being non-mouthy while on the field, but use their God-given talents with an intensity level like that of Cush or Pollard.

nero THE zero likes this.
  15. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I agree. While it's great to have an owner that's involved and knows what's going on, there's a danger here in calling people out, which is what he praises Kubiak for NOT doing. There's a fine line.

And, I agree with with someone else on here said: As much as I like Cushing, let's be real - dude is out because of steroids. Let's be careful in putting him on a pedistal at this point in time.

It's sort of like the "Wide Recievers are always arrogant" argument I'm always hearing. No, they're not. Andre isn't. In fact, he's somewhat boring. And that's ok. Andre is Andre. He comes in, does his job to the best of his ability, is a great team make, and goes home. I am fine with that.

16. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't see a problem with what he did. What is Mario going to do? Either, he will set out to prove him wrong and be more intense or he will continue doing what he's doing. I don't see how those relatively benign comments would lead to a holdout, inability to re-sign him, or a dropoff in his production. Now, if he starts calling these guys out with some regularity or with some malice, then it would become a problem.

In the end, the shift in what kind of player the organization wants to represent them is very good for the football product... Bernard Pollard, Brian Cushing instead of David Carr, and Amobi Okoye.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

McNair is a little more intense about only one thing.

How about those leather season ticket holders.

Cheap B******

Talk Talk Talk

Aint crap, How about we talk about the playoffs Uncle BoB.

18. devo-x

devo-x Veteran

Is there any further proof of that claim? Just wondering

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yeah, Lets hope this happens.

So far 9 yrs and counting.

McNair's sense of urgency and mine are stratospheres apart.

20. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I know this will be impossible to stop, but I cannot stand all the misinformation people spread. Cushing was not busted for steroids! He was busted for hCG.(human chorionic gonadotropin). Here is some info from a blog done by Texans Chick in the chron.

Maybe I'm being totally naive, but I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know that most of the professional athletes that have denied taking steroids have been proven to be lying, but I just think Cush is too much of a health geek (packaged meals, hyperbaric therapy, etc..) to do this, and until it is proven beyond any shadow of doubt, I will give him the benefit. I just wish other Texans fans would not spread false information.

Sorry for the rant!:rant:

imatexan likes this.