McNair - "In this league, you really need 18-21 quality players..."

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Lucky, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I just got around to reading this article from The Chronic. Here's a quote from Texans owner Bob McNair:
    18-21 "quality" players? And the Texans are "very close"? OK, what constitutes a quality player? And just how close are they to the magic 18-21 level?

Any team would want these guys in their lineup:
    1. DeMeco Ryans
    2. Andre Johnson
    3. Dunta Robinson

Most assume these guys will become high quality players:
    4. Mario Williams
    5. Matt Schaub
    6. Amobi Okoye

These are some vet players who are of proven quality, if not Pro Bowlers:
    7. Anthony Weaver
    8. Ahman Green
    9. Chester Pitts

Young guys who could become quality players soon:
    10. Owen Daniels
    11. Eric Winston
    12. Charles Spencer
    13. Travis Johnson

Players with quality skills in limited roles (yeah, I'm reaching now):
    14. Jerome Mathis
    15. Vonta Leach

Have I forgotten about some players? Have I given too much credit to others? If 18-21 quality players are really needed to contend for the playoffs, just how close are the Texans?

2. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I fear Charles Spencer, Chester Pitts and Travis Johnson should be removed from that list.

I wonder where he got the 18-21 number?

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I read that article, as well, and thought the McNair quote was a bit of positive PR spin. Nothing wrong with blind optimism, I suppose, especially from the owner. But when you look up and down the roster, it is tough to reconcile his words with the reality of the situation.

4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

By quality do you think he means game changing? Or just solid guys that wont lose games for you?

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think he means you shouldn't have more than 1-3 guys starting on your team who shouldn't be starters in the NFL.

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I read that article a couple of days ago, and my first thought is what constitutes a quaility player in his mind? If it means above average starter at the given position, I don't think many, if any, teams would have 20 or so of those. Could quality players also mean backups? If I have a quality backup, does that mean he is a quality player? It's all left up to the reader to decide.

I was just really preplexed myself. There was no subtance to it, and no attempt to clarify the statement at all in the paper. The possible definitions are so broad as to make the whole statement meaningless without some sort of context. :devilpig:

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno how Big Bob can figure we're "we're very close" because according to my calculations we're much more in the 9-10 ballpark, which means we're only 'bout half-way home.

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

The bolded are too early to tell, those with the dots are suspect either b/c they are injury prone or b/c they haven't shown much since being in the league. & with Schaub we just don't know. so that leaves us about. 6 or 7 players we know we can count on game in & out.

9. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I've had trouble reconciling Bob's words with the reality of the situation for about 2 or 3 years now. And I DO have a problem with blind optimism, but like someone pointed out . . . it's the month of June, where blind optimism rules the day.:rolleyes:

I do agree with him, that you need 18-21 "quality" players to be a playoff team. Where I don't agree with him, is on the "we're close" part.

The definition of a "quality" player is subjective. I prefer to go along with Kubiak's viewpoint that they are still "a couple of drafts away" from what he considers to be a "good" football team.

10. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

his rectum?

11. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I think you left out alot of quality players, we arent talking stars here, just people that can do their job. I believe that's what mcnair means by quality.

I'm not gonna make my list yet and get flamed, but I think you are about 5 to 8 guys short.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Agreed, and I am sure McNair was including Schaub in that.

13. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

if I was a player for the Texans, I would probably take affront to that statement if I wasn't one of the big name guys. On an NFL roster, you can bet that every player thinks that they are a quality player, and for the owner to come out and say that there aren't even 18 quality players on the roster is a slap in the face.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

A starter should be a quality player. 22 starters= 22 quality players. Another 3-4 that are back ups that might start for lower echelon team but are on way up or way down in career. A kicker and a punter. 27 to 28 players in my mind. We've got a long way to go based on what we know about the Texans today. You can project anything you want until ap layer proves himself.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If you think that the guy who signs your check does not consider you a quality player, maybe you should step up and prove him wrong or just shut up and cash the check.

16. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Then maybe they will prove it. When you not gotten to a winning record how else would even the fans look at that.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I imagine he was and while I totally, completely support the trade to bring MS over here, nevertheless I would rate MS no more than a perceived quality player and certainly not a known quality player.

18. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

First I would change the second set title to something like should be solid players with the potential to be really good.

Second I would move Leach to third group (remeber the Giants wanted him).

Third Players that should be removed Travis Johnson (no comment needed) and Spencer (have to wait to see on him).

Fourth Players that could be added....

Marion Greenwood (not counting his salary) he is a solid player in this league, he started for the Dolphins and could play for several other teams in this league.

Ron Dayne- had several visits to other teams and if used right can help a team.

Fred Weary could become a quality player if he continues to develop.

Clark and Barber like Dayne can be useful players if used right.

All things said, I think we have and (have had) some good players on this team, but it is the coaches using the right schemes for the them, for the players to be successful. Look at Jabar Gaffney, didn't do as much as we wanted from him here, but later goes to New England and has some success.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree, as well.

I think there is more substance in Kubiak's quote from the article:

Kubiak seems less inclined to blow smoke, and like mentioned above, he still thinks we are a couple of drafts away from being a "good" football team. I think the 2007 team will definitely be a lot more competitive and more consistent in staying in games, which will be a big upgrade from the past five seasons. And while I'm drinking some 9-7 koolaide, I am very aware that this perspective is based on illusion more than reality at this point in time.

20. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I really don't have the time right now.

But, maybe someone can through the following rosters and see if it follows McNair's theory:

1. Patriots
    2. Colts
    3. Chargers

I don't think it takes that many quality players (what is that definition anyway?) to make a playoff team.

2 to 3 star players are what makes a team a playoff team. That's my theory. Those star players make your average players perform to the level of quality players.

Take away one of those star players, and all of a sudden, that playoff team becomes average.

I think McNair is just wrong and probably the biggest reason why the Texans are having their troubles. His flawed football logic impacts personnel decisions on several levels. McNair, PLEASE STAY OUT PERSONNEL DECISIONS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!!