McNair Declares AJ Will Be Rewarded

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 31, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Chris Mortensen Twitter 2 hours ago:

2. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Wow. I heard him say they were going to "take care of him" but I have trouble believing they're going to rip up his contract and just dump a ton of money on him. I love Andre, but that seems like a dangerous precedent to set.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sorry, but I disagree. Any one that performs at his level consistently needs to be compensated for it. That's how you buld a team that the best want to play for. AJ is the best in the biz and has proved it. If another player proves they are the best at their position, pay em.

powerfuldragon likes this.
  4. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

While I don't disagree in principle, the problem is: whose definition of "best in the biz" do you use?

If you're lucky enough to field a team of stars, quite a few of them will likely be claiming they're the best in the biz when they're really not.

5. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Best in the biz

-noun
    1. A wide receiver with the most yards and receptions in the NFL two years in a row.

2. Any wide receiver whose name is often mentioned in the same sentence as Jerry Rice.

3. Andre Lamont Johnson.

Texas T, Blake, False Start and 4 others like this.
  6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Nice! Thank you!

7. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

It's always important to consider the precedent set by reneged contracts, but I think this one is justified. The best WR in the league shouldn't let his prime years be compensated with average money. An owner needs to keep his best players happy within the confines of reasonable business.

8. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Face of the franchise and seems like the kind of guy that would be willing to play for your team until retirement... which can be a good long time from now if he continues to stay healthy.

Lock him up.. first Texan in the HOF.

9. Sluggo

Sluggo Rookie

Under normal circumstances a team would be setting a bad precedent by ripping up a contract with five years remaining on it, but Andre is anything but "normal" for a couple of different reasons. One is his obvious out-of-this-world talent, the other is the humble demeanor and professionalism with which he carries himself.
    As far as precedent's go, the Texans seem to be setting a good one by letting their players know that if they perform at a high level there is a good chance they will be rewarded. DeMeco Ryans showed up at the OTAs a couple years ago, reported to camp and was rewarded with a new contract. We see the same thing happening now with Andre. This is a nice departure from what is currently happening in San Diego with several of their key players and NY with Darrell Revis.

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  10. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Couldn't agree more with everything quoted.

Just sayin'.....I can see a long line of Pay-me-Rick/Pay-me-like-Andre in the not too distant future...

The other team owners might actually object to simply tearing up the contract and starting over because of the precedent it sets for their players, too.

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

The only precedent I see being established here is that players who keep their heads down and do their job to perfection WILL be awarded by the good owners. Good behaviour and hard work beats drama and dumb-ass episodes in nightclubs :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  12. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Not saying anything that hasn't already been said. If you bring your l.unch box to work and keep your nose to the grindstone everyday and prove that you are indeed one of the top performers if not the top performer in the league, you shall be rewarded. AJ is the consumate professional, model citizen and easily a roll model that any parent/coach would want their child/player follow. I bet you that there isn't a NFL fan in the country that could provide one valid negative comment about AJ. Hell, I'm in DC & Baltimore right now this week and every time someone sees my Texans shirt they tell me what a stud he is on the field and how you never hear anything negative about him.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Wonder if the non-CBA non-cap situation also somehow plays into the justification and uniqueness of this move.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think it very well could. They could pay him a big bonus this year and make it a friendly number in future years.

15. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't know. Is he worth it? :tomato:

16. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

If the NFL isn't able to get the salary cap back after this uncapped year it will ruin the NFL. Just take a look at baseball. Dallas would be like the Yankees of MLB. I don't think I could stomach that.

17. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

That's the one in my dictionary also...

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'm in favor of this. I could write a whole bunch of words in a long paragraph but it would all boil down to: Andre Johnson is worth keeping.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

No.

It all boils down to: Andre Johnson is worth keeping HAPPY.

20. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

I like this move a lot for a few reasons. First, AJ took the pay cut to help the FO build this team into a contender and now he's being paid and second, McNair, as I remember it, was always an advocate for playing without a salary cap and this, if everything gets signed off on, will be his first chance to really put his money where his mouth is (pun very much intended).