Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mclain is back

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
and he says Houstion is going nowhere and he doubts the ability of DC to stay healthy. He thinks the only people who think Houston is going to doing anything this year is a few over zealous fans. He should have sought a job elsewhere. Why does the Chronicle retain this guy. He's like the sky is falling as far as Houstion is concerned. I suspose they must feel they get more readers, because they get mad at the guy. Keep posting guys and don't look for any good news from the Chronicle.

Well, I am not sure it's as bad as you make it sound. Here is the actual quote from the Houston Chronicle. I don't expect good coverage to be homer-coverage. He is just stating reality imo
Are Texans going to be NFL's 'surprise team'?

Q.
Many print, radio and television analysts have the Texans as their big surprise team. What does everyone see? I believe the team was last or near last in both offense and defense. Injuries were a factor, but many of the problems were there before the injuries really took their toll. Also, how do you rate David Carr's progression as a quarterback in terms of reading defenses and accuracy? He seemed a bit lacking in those areas last year, when he was healthy.

Chad in Lubbock

A.
Other than some talk-show hosts and super-optimistic fans, I haven't seen anyone predict that the Texans will be the NFL's "big surprise team," as you put it, Chad. I think -- and this depends on injuries again- - the Texans will finish in the 7-9 or 8-8 range. Let's be realistic: They were 31st in offense and defense, primarily because of injuries. They finished a 5-11 season with more players on injured reserve than any team. Losing at home by three points to New England, Indianapolis and Tennessee was impressive for a team that had to play three quarterbacks and defensive linemen off the street because of injuries. As for Carr, please check out the next e-mail, Chad.

What offensive players are stepping up for Texans?

Q. There's a lot of talk about quarterback David Carr, receiver Andre Johnson and running back Domanick Davis being the Texans' triplets, but my concern is that too much emphasis is being put on them. Each is a potentially great player, but there are eight other players with them. What other offensive players do you see stepping up to make a difference?

Sam in Cypress

A. First of all, Sam, there should be a lot of pressure placed on Carr, Johnson and Davis. Carr enters his third season. He's the team leader who must stay healthy and produce more consistently. Johnson was the third player picked in last year's draft, and he's coming off a successful rookie season. He has to quit dropping so many passes. He's worked hard to improve his hands. The coaches believe if Davis stays healthy, he can be a 1,500-yard rusher. As for other offensive players making a difference, tight end Billy Miller -- whether he starts or not -- is always going to be one of Carr's most reliable targets. New right tackle Todd Wade should be outstanding. If second-year tackle Seth Wand, who has been moved to the first team on the left side, proves in camp and preseason that he can handle the most important position on the line, he'll be placed under the microscope. I also believe, Sam, that second-year running back Tony Hollings will get more playing time. I doubt Davis will stay healthy for 16 games. Remember, Hollings moved from safety to running back as a junior at George Tech and led the nation in rushing until he blew out a knee early in the season. He entered the supplemental draft, and the Texans used a second-round pick on him. As a rookie, he was still recovering from reconstructive surgery and learning the position. I think you'll see him start to emerge as he gets more carries.

He says he doubts DD can stay healthy for 16 games. I would say most of us would say there goes the running game if that happens. I understand that Hollings has real potential, but he isn't a proven runner behind our line as yet. It isn't being a homer, he just doesn't seem to have much ever that is positive as far as Houstion is concerned. Has he been at the mini camps? He's been admitinly on vactation for 6 months. He starts off with I can't see Houstion doing anything. Seems like he's killing the optomism that may be we have made some good trades, made some coaching changes, and a feeling that we are going to be a very different ball club this year. To me he does an excellent job of killing ticket sales.

Could this year be different? Again, my kick is that he is never upbeat. He always comes at the team from a negative point of view. Has an injury occurred yet? I don't see him going out and reviewing some aspect of the team's progress and saying you know they have really done a good job here and I think you should keep an eye on this aspect of the game. Look for some real progress on the field because Houstion has made -----. Your fill in the blanks. I would hope with all of the money, time, effort, coaches that we could begin to look for some hopeful signs that we are going to be something more than a door mat.

McClain's comments don't change the tiniest thing about our season next year. Neither do anyone else's comments, for that matter. All that matters is the players prove it on the field each sunday, and everyone will forget 99% of what was said before the season started.

I like Hollings and think he will prove that CC made the right move giving up the 2nd to get him this year, I (unlike most) am not sold on DD being a franchise back just yet.

:read:
Book this: Hollings will have the Texans record for longest rushing TD by the end of the year

I am going to put that in my signature

Well keep in mind that all reporters try to shed a realistic light on things. They have to make their assessments based solely on the numbers from last year. In other words, they are the original 'buzzkills' or 'party poopers' of the NFL. We've all seen over the years how a team can go from the cellar of the NFL to the playoffs. Also, we all know that in the NFL all the prognosticators and analysts and experts have as much of an idea about who'll do well this season as the guy working the drive thru at McD's. Some of the predictions from last year were that Oakland and the Eagles would be in the SB, and some even predicted the Chargers would win the wildcard. Some thought the Ravens would be at or near the bottom of the AFC North with the Bengals. So as much as we'd all like to think if we crunch the numbers correctly, and factor in so and so we can come up with an accurate predicition as how we will fare, but it just isn't going to happen. So take what a sportswriter says with a grain of salt, because nobody flip flops better than a local sports writer. It goes from a sensational doom and gloom attitude to a 'hand us the title now' type attitude.

The local paper here in Fresno - the Fresno Bee - had a nice article today on David. It was prepared by a writer from the Chronicle, so it might well be a reprint of something you guys have seen. However, in the article he talked about some of his goals which he said some people might laugh at, but they included getting to the playoffs and perhaps further this year. He indicated that he thought they were attainable desipite what others might think. Miller was quoted as saying that David really does know the offense well and that perhaps others need to come up to the same level. My point is that the article is an attempt to give the consuming public some information that might be relavent, and at the same time, give a build up to the upcoming season. McLain won't even allow training camp to start without trying to put a damper on this year's season. I think there's a lot of reason for optomism for this year, but there is also a lot of work to be done by the team. I would certainly like to see some articles showing what people have done to try to improve themselves, rather than some garbage about - in my opinion they aren't going anywhere this year after saying he just returned from a six months vacation that implied may be he was burned out.

let's face it...the only team mcclain is going to talk about in a positive way is dallas...which is where he belongs...but there is a good sight to what he does point out...he does show an outsiders point of view on the team and gives us fans a truely unbias look at what our team needs to do to be number one...granted i think most of the time he has his head up his *** but generally the points he makes have been good...carr does need to pick up the defenses better...johnson needs to catch more balls...and davis needs to stay healthy and shut up all these critics...bottom line we're a solid football team but we're still growing as well

Thanks Vinny for printing the aritcle.

I believe J. McClain was being realistic in that article. Pretty factual actually.

He writes for the NFL anyway, not the Texans. I have a bigger beef with the Texans sports writers than I do J. McClain anymore. I read the sports section first thing every morning, and there has been practically ZELCH about the Texans since draft day. I know there has been a lot of readable stuff going on because I hear about it from other sources, so it really ticks me off that our one and only newspaper can't get their appointed sports writers to CARE about whats going on with our home team.

Personally, I wish John McClain DID write about the TEXANS. At least he goes out and gets the info and gets it to the readers. We may not all agree with his opinions, but at least he gives us something to grip about! :blah: ;)

__V__ said:
We are sold out, and Dom Davis has never stayed healthy. College or Pro.

True enough about Davis. However, it's possible that the injury problems could simply have been bad luck and not evidence that he doesn't have the body to handle the pounding. Or, perhaps NFL strength and conditioning coaches will/ have been able to address this problem...

If so, the fact that he's had injuries in college and therefore not carried the ball 700-800 times like most college backs of his caliber will add two years of good health to his NFL career.

McClain's prediction 7 or 8 wins doesn't seem pessimistic to me- especially in our division. However, it's not errant thinking to believe that 10 wins and the playoffs aren't well within the realm of possibility. After all, most of the great (by today's standards) NFL teams the past 8 years have come from nowhere:
St. Louis, Baltimore, New England, Carolina... others have had huge turn arounds with the rapid maturity of their young players: Indianapolis (peyton's second season), Philadelphia (McNabb's third?).

SheTexan said:
Thanks Vinny for printing the aritcle.

I believe J. McClain was being realistic in that article. Pretty factual actually.

He writes for the NFL anyway, not the Texans. I have a bigger beef with the Texans sports writers than I do J. McClain anymore. I read the sports section first thing every morning, and there has been practically ZELCH about the Texans since draft day. I know there has been a lot of readable stuff going on because I hear about it from other sources, so it really ticks me off that our one and only newspaper can't get their appointed sports writers to CARE about whats going on with our home team.

Personally, I wish John McClain DID write about the TEXANS. At least he goes out and gets the info and gets it to the readers. We may not all agree with his opinions, but at least he gives us something to grip about! :blah: ;)

Ditto on what the wise Grandma said.

BTW, just for the record, John is wrong. The Texans will be 11-5 this year.

Where did McClain say that Houston was going "nowhere?" That Q&A seems like a pretty accurate assessment.

Hopes and expectations are different things to me. I hope they go to the playoffs, I expect them to finish 8-8, which would be a big improvement over the first two seasons, and I think 7-9 is a better possiblility than 9-7 this year.

__V__ said:
We are sold out.

We aren't sold out for 2004. On this website click on Texans Tickets==>Ticket Info==>Season Tickets and you can buy as many season tickets as you want.

Also, according to the 2004 Edition of Street and Smith's Pro Football magazine, our attendence last year averaged 66,355 which it lists as 95.5% of capacity. It lists the NFL average as 94.9% of capacity so we were a bit better than average in coming close to reaching capacity.

McClain is unabridled pessimist when it comes to the Texans. I guess Texans owner doesn't give him as much love as his buddy Bud and Jerry in Nashville and Dallas.

My problem with Mr. McClain is that he is boring, negative and always willing to point out what is wrong with the Texans, instead of what is right. He actually has some good information if you can stomach your cookies wrapped in a turd.

Nobody needs a regurgitation of last years stats and figures. Almost everyone has a good memory and if not the internet is readily available to provide that service.

What many readers want is an educated opinion based on facts. In your hometown paper, you would like a positive spin on the local team in order to view the glass as half-full rather than half-empty.

What has been done to improve the team? How are the injuries, which led to the disappointing record and close losses, healing and progressing?! There are a plethora of stories, RIGHT NOW, of individuals working to improve physically and mentally, including the coaches and managment.

Stuff like that.

However, it appears The Chronicle is trying to make some changes with the recent aesthetic changes to the Sports section of the paper. Perhaps improving content, especially in regards to the TEXANS, is next on their list!

Of course, if we had better reporting of the situation, it would definitely help. :rolleyes: Again, NEW information, not last years stats or when a person was drafted.

Here is hoping that Mr. McClain's outlook improves, the Chronicle Sports Department sees the light and the TEXANS make the playoffs.

Not sure where Street and Smith's is getting their info. Texans paid attendance was over 70,000 for all 2003 games. S&S's count might be turnstile but the NFL abandoned that method of accounting a long time ago.

It's also incorrect if they are saying 66,355 is 95.5% of capacity. That would mean Reliant's capacity was 69,482 in 2003. Reliant capacity was 69,500 in 2002 but they added some super-nosebleed seats at each end in 2003 to increase the capacity to over 70,000.

Here's the Texans 2003 paid attendance per the NFL gamebooks:

KC 70,487
JAX 70,041
NYJ 70,623
CAR 70,052
NE 70,719
ATL 70,388
TEN 70,758
IND 70,680

Avg: 70,469

Although I find McLain interesting to read and listen to, I can understand how some of my fellow Texan fans feel about his observations. I wouldn't waste too much energy on him... at least it is realtime info (better than the Chronicle right now). I also appreciate that he that portrays the Texans organization in a positive way at the national level, as compared to many of the media folks outside of Texas. He was bustin buttons about Houston after this years Super Bowl! Hopefully this years team will meet the weekly challenges, demonstrate growth and make us proud...I can't wait for the season to start!

aj. said:
Where did McClain say that Houston was going "nowhere?" That Q&A seems like a pretty accurate assessment.

Hopes and expectations are different things to me. I hope they go to the playoffs, I expect them to finish 8-8, which would be a big improvement over the first two seasons, and I think 7-9 is a better possiblility than 9-7 this year.

Ditto. I also expect 7-9 or 8-8 this year. Call me a pessimist if you wish, but I prefer realist. I am a huge fan, but I tend to look at things with an unjaundiced eye. I call em as I see em. Period. As for Mclain, I continue to be amazed at the venom from some fans. I heard the same quote on the radio, and didn't think twice about it. He did say they were't going anywhere this year. Guess what folks - he's right! Notice he didn't say they wouldn't improve. Since I have heard him use similar language before, I think it's safe to say he means deep into the playoffs. Everything else is also-ran status. Secondly, he is the NFL writer, and not the Texans writer. I have heard him praise the Texans organization, coaches, and players many times. I think what we have here is selective memory. Hey, whatever blows up your bloomers. :popcorn: :soapbox:

Ditto. I also expect 7-9 or 8-8 this year. Call me a pessimist if you wish, but I prefer realist.

I'd say that was realist as well. I am expecting 7 or 8 wins. On the other hand, I will not be shocked if they get one or two wins than that just because we really don't know how good a team they were last year without so many injuries. Seth Payne and Glenn never go down last year then 7-9 last year might have been the record they are looking to improve upon.

One thing he failed to mention was how much better our defense could be this season. But I guess, then again, they really didn't ask him about that.

One thing that always gets lost on these message boards is that the NFL is a league of equal teams. There is very little difference in each teams talent base. There are no teams devoid of talent. Every teams fans don't understand why they don't win more games but if you do the math 50% of the teams are guaranteed to lose each week. Half have to lose. This is a tight league of fairly equal teams. If a Super Bowl team can lose to an expansion team then a 3rd year team can lose to the Jags, Bears or Lions. .500 is about what kind of team we will likely have.

aj. said:
Not sure where Street and Smith's is getting their info. Texans paid attendance was over 70,000 for all 2003 games. S&S's count might be turnstile but the NFL abandoned that method of accounting a long time ago.

It's also incorrect if they are saying 66,355 is 95.5% of capacity. That would mean Reliant's capacity was 69,482 in 2003. Reliant capacity was 69,500 in 2002 but they added some super-nosebleed seats at each end in 2003 to increase the capacity to over 70,000.

Here's the Texans 2003 paid attendance per the NFL gamebooks:

KC 70,487
JAX 70,041
NYJ 70,623
CAR 70,052
NE 70,719
ATL 70,388
TEN 70,758
IND 70,680

Avg: 70,469
Street and Smith's numbers probably included away games but we will not know 100% without a link.

AJ, as always, you are right on top of things!

Back