McGuffie to transfer[Texas A&M is the frontrunner as of now]

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Brando, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

link

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Wow. Didnt see that coming.

So will he have to wait until 2010 to play ball?

3. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I'm not sure of the rules of college football. He may lose a year of eligibility.

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I saw him a couple times this year on TV playing for Michigan and it looked like he was their starting running back, which seems pretty dang good for a "true freshman" ? Wonder what happened up there, why he decided to leave and come back this way ? I remember the 2 schools he was most interested in attending were Michigan & the U of Cal.

5. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

According to Rich Rodriguez, at least a part of it was that he was homesick. Also, FWIW, he suffered his 3rd concussion of the season in the Ohio State game.

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

3rd concussion in one season? Wow...

At that rate he wouldn't be able to continue playing football for very long. Having to sit out in 2009 should be beneficial from a health perspective

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He can redshirt the 09 season and begin playing in 2010 as a redshirt sophomore.

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Brandon Minor was the starter but McGuffie did get a lot of work before he started getting hurt.

He has a really tight-knit family and he started getting depressed after his grandmother died.

Add to that, apparently he didn't feel like he fit in with his teammates, so he was lonely and homesick.

Plus, I believe he did suffer three concussions this seaon, as ChampionTexan mentioned.

9. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I'd go to Oklahoma if I was in his spot. Won't get too many concussions with the lines OU has over the years.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

These kids go way, way out of state then they have to go to school with a bunch of other kids that are local to the area, have families and friends nearby and also have to deal with a little climate change and even some culture shock. The novelty of being away from home wears off fast for some of these kids when their new buddies get more visits from friends and family than the outsiders from far away places like Houston Texas do.

11. Polo

Polo Guest

Bingo...

When I went to play ball in Florida I got very homesick...I drove home on weekends sometimes...Crazy stuff...

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

he wants to go to A&M? maybe he had more than 3 concussions

Goldensilence and Yankee_In_TX like this.
  13. Ckw

Ckw Guest

This is awesome news. I am ready for it to be official that McGuffie is an Aggie. Whooop!

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Why? Cyrus Gray is a better running back.

15. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Agreed. Glad you noticed. But Bradley Stephens has been a bit of a letdown so far and Goodson is probably going pro (as dumb as that is with as terrible of a season as he had) so adding McGuffie would only help.

Regardless A&M is still a ways away from being a good, competitive football team. Now the basketball team on the other hand...

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I haven't talked to Mike directly, but we went to high school together and one of our mutual friends told me he wasn't making the grades at A&M so he was going pro.

As for McGuffie, I don't see where he fits in since y'all changed to a more pro style offense. Maybe a slot WR? Lord knows y'all need help there.

17. Ckw

Ckw Guest

If we ever start running the pro style offense. It was essentially all spread this season.

Good idea though. I would be interested in seeing McGuffie in the slot. If he has decent hands, he could be used kind of like a Wes Welker type.

18. IMA TEXAN

IMA TEXAN Rookie

Michigan, now A&M? Maybe he just likes losing.

19. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

You said it.

Maybe he should make a call to Mike Goodson, who decided he's had enough and is moving on to the NFL.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He would fit well at Texas Tech, I think.

He's shifty enough to run the ball in Tech's offense and he seems to have decent hands out of the backfield.

Can he block though? That is a must for a Tech RB.