McDermott now Eagles Defensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Goldensilence, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4353363

Well here's the guy that a lot of us thought should've at least gotten an interview with the Texans. I hope Frank proves Kubiak and Smith made the right call.

Jim, get well soon! Your defenses have always been fun to watch and I hope you take to the tumor like your defenses have against opposing offenses.

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I hope Johnson pulls through, it'd be a shame to lose such a brilliant mind.

3. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I wonder if the reason he did not get an interview was because the Eagles would not allow it knowing Johnson's health.
    And yes, I also hope he is able to pull through as well.

4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Very possible. He also could have refused to accept interviews, knowing what the situation in Philly was.

5. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Philadelphia could not stop him from interviewing because it would have been from a promotion. No, instead of hiring someone with some track record or success and experience, Kubiak hires from within from a horrible and pathetic defensive coaching staff.

It better work out or Gary needs to be run out of town.

6. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

IMO, hiring someone with whom you and your players are familiar with has its advantages. Bringing in a new face and completely new philosophy could potentially add a couple of seasons on to our Team Plan.

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

That's not correct any longer.

Because of all of the various coordinator and asst. HC titles, the NFL did away with any distinction between assistant coaches a few years ago. The only "Promotion" that still exists that absolutely requires a team to allow an assistant to interview is to Head Coach.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009