McClain: Texans’ special-teams play anything but special

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 25, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

McClain's article evaluates the team's ST........criticisms focused on player performance with a smattering of isolated compliments.........But glaringly absent is Marciano's obvious contribution to a ST game that has significantly been changed by the NFL and has "left him in the dust."

Special Teams: Texans Concerned

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

McLame. :hankpalm:

3. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

What an incredibly clever play on words. McClain, show me your ways!

4. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

Our teams are "special"..

(short-bus special)

TJ

5. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

In all fairness to McClain, I wouldn't expect him to come out and point-blank say that Marciano should be fired.

If you read the story carefully between the lines, it's clear that Kubiak is not pleased. And, if things get SO bad on ST that they have to sub in our starters, I can't imagine that Marciano would keep his job.

Kubiak is saying all the right words about "we'll sub-in if we have to! we're all one team! Rah-Rah!" But the truth is, if it gets to that point, that means ST is in full melt-down mode, and that is not good.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There have always been some starters on the ST coverage teams. I haven't checked recently but Casey, Quin, and Barwin have played on the coverage teams over the past couple of years.

7. houstonspartan

True. Still, I can't see Marciano staying if this continues being a problem.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

That's about as damning a quote as your gonna get from Kubes in the middle of a season, and for McClain to add anything to it would serve no purpose (nobody pays any attention to McClain's conjecture or opinion anyway).

And nobody's said there weren't and aren't, but Kubiak specifically said that backups should be your top special teams players (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and mentioned Walter and Reed as players who would be inserted if necessary (with the clear undertone that he didn't want it to be necessary). I'd say if we see either or both of those guys playing ST's, it's a pretty clear signal that 2012 is Coach Joe's swan song as Texans ST coach.

9. houstonspartan

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Thanks for saying it more clear. Kubiak is fairly clearly saying: Yeah, we can do that, if we have to, but, we shouldn't have to.

That's how I read the quotes in this article, and that's how I read his comments over the last few weeks.

Heck, I watched the short video of Kubiak's rah-rah speech in the locker room after the Baltimore game, and he was clear even then.

Paraphrasing, because I don't remember the exact wording:

Kubiak: "Offense, you guys had a heck of a day, you did great."

Then: "Defense, you guys did a great job."

Then: "Special teams, there are still some things we got to work on, but you guys did well, too."

Joe should be scared.

10. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Coach Joe should be replaced.

I think it's one of those situations where you manage it the best you can for the remainder of this season, hope it doesn't cost you too much, and make a change for the 2013 season.

That said, Coach Joe is one of those guys who you root for, and while I don't normally like this approach, in his case I wouldn't mind if they "promoted" him to a position where he couldn't do any damage (or at least gave him that option).

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Hopefully special teams is not the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs when teams are often equally matched. We cannot afford to have the last ranked ST unit if we really consider this a potential Super Bowl team.

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

One would hope not...
    BUT...
    I'd hate to have to make up a TD that poor kick coverage gave away.

Or worse, lose an overtime game because of a kick return against us after we just scored a FG and were looking to Wade's D to shutdown the opposing offense.

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Yep. Or even something as simple as the difference between a three and out drive that starts at the 40 compared to one that starts at the 15.

You punt from the 15 and it's almost guaranteed field goal range for the receiving team.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault It's on me.

It's true though. Special Teams are a major weakness.

15. CloakNNNdagger

I agree with you that Marciano should be replaced. In fact I would have done it last year. But when we start talking about our ST players need to be bolstered by more starters, I have to say that you could put all starters out there, but if those players are given schemes that are determined with a dart board, the results will not be any different.

One last thought. Our ST coverage team has been terrible except on isolated occasion like the Ball play. If we have known this, why then has our kicker not been instructed by Marciano to put it out of the EZ for no return. Starting on the 20 yd line would have been a pleasant gift most of the time.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The short bus is offended by that comparison. :truck:

17. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

NICE!! :fostering:

TJ

18. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Pretty sure they would kick it out of the endzone if they could. Graham just doesn't have the leg. The only time it gets out of the endzone is when they line drive it toward a corner.

19. CloakNNNdagger

That doesn't make sense to me. TC and Pregames, he kicks it out of the middle of the EZ.

20. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

A mention of the "short bus" just woke me up a bit.... I know a little about being on the "short bus"............... Signed, Texan_Bill :D