McClain says WR only offensive position that might go First Round

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by nunusguy, Feb 16, 2005.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Rookie

Basically what he is saying is that we don't need to spend our first round pick on a wide receiver. We need to either draft another shutdown corner so that our linebackers and safeties can blitz more, or get another outside linebacker.

My personal opinion would be to either draft a cornerback (PacMan Jones) or Marcus Spears with our first pick.

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think he's saying it would be less likely that they'd take a DL or LB in the first round than a WR and WR is the most likely position on offense that they'd take a first round pick with. Most of this tends to go against conventional wisdom or popular belief to this point - our top pick would be either DL, LB, or OL.
    Maybe Cass is feeding McClain a bunch of BS to divert attention from what
    his top priorities really are.

4. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, or Shawne Merriman in the first round unless DJ somehow falls to us.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

So McClain wants the Texans to 86 the deep passing game & go conservative.
    Didn't they try that in '03? The only season where Carr had any serious injuries. McClain forgot to say throw more dump offs to the RB and run more on 1st & 2nd downs. Yeah, that's a much better idea than improving the offensive line.

McClain points out that the Texans need a better pass rush. Who knew? But, they can't take a defensive lineman or outside linebacker?
    Well, Pittsburgh did use a 1st on NT Casey Hampton. And the 3 time Super Bowl Champions, the New England Patriots, have used 3 1st round picks on defensive linemen in the past 4 drafts. And teams like San Diego & Oakland have only run the 34 defense for a year, so we really don't know what their position on taking defensive linemen early is. Maybe it's a little soon to "rule that out".
    Why? If you have the Texans moving Wong inside, pointed out that the team probably isn't "high" on Peek, then who plays the ROLB spot?

The Texans could select a young, talented corner in the 1st round this draft. But, the logic McClain uses to get to that conclusion is dubious. They could also select an offensive lineman, defensive lineman, or linebacker. Who that player might be will likely be determined by where the Texans have him rated on theor draft board.

6. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

At this point, McClain's just saying what he wants to see happen. It holds no more validity than any opinion posted on these boards. I seriously doubt CC will refuse to take another DL in the first round, just because McClain thinks teams don't do that. I'm not saying we will take DL, just that we're not going to rule it out for historical reasons.

At this point, the Texans probably only have a few rules regarding the first round ... no QBs and no special teams players. The teams in front of us in the draft will determine what position we pick.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Reading between the lines a bit...

I think the Texans may have a couple of WR's rated pretty high and they will not pass on a very highly rated player to fill needs with a high salaried number 1 choice if a defender doesn't carry the same grade (or darn near close to it). The only players that won't be considered with our first pick are probably QB and kicker, but if all is equal or semi-equal they will take a defender.

8. TheTim5125

TheTim5125 Veteran

I was looking a t few mock drafts and i saw Mike Williams dropping to us what if that happens do we take him.?????

9. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Yes, in a heartbeat.

10. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I think if Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards falls to us, we take them. Otherwise, I think we will go front seven on defense.

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Peek has been a liability against the run. I guess we could throw him in the deep end and see if he can swim.

12. LikeABoss

LikeABoss All Pro

I kinda get the feeling from this article that the author feels the Texans should draft another CB with the first round pick idonno: I wouldn't complain about that, just as long as he can come in and contribute.

13. Blake

Blake MMQB

This is not a bad plan at all. Some would say, why use a 1st round on a nickle back. But what they dont think about is what if, and I hope it doesnt happen, but what if Dunta goes down? Who will fill the shoes? Faggins? Who will play nickle if he is hurt? And more likely, what if Glenn goes down for a few games or the season? I think you really need to look at the CB's.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

makes sense to me too. the combines will be critical (times, sizes, lifting, testing & interviewing) in determining the Texans draft board order, even if they do have thier list already narrowed down to a player. Hence I think before we attempt another Mock Draft that we wait until March 14th to officially begin the 2nd chapter. This would allow time to anaylze all the data plus free agency begins 1st of March, allowing teams to make moves like they have in years past, thus setting drafting needs more in order. :twocents:

15. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I'm starting grow on the idea of drafting another young corner like Pac-man Jones or Antrell Rolle. We need to have 3 good corners anyway in our division because of the Colts.

16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:howdy: What McClain is saying is that CC usually does not draft linemen in the first round . Hes trending a bit . He also said that they would probably consider a WR. on offense in the first and thats it . Thats his opinion no conspiracy . If Ced Benson fell to 13 I would not pass on him .

17. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I think in a deep draft for CBs we should wait until the 2nd. If he's going to start out in the nickel anyway, might as well get someone with good upside in the 2nd/3rd to groom for another year behind our other CBs.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Casserly stated that the combine is not critical at all. Their scouting is done and the only thing that the combine gives them is a medical report.

The only thing that really changes is the internet "scouts" mocks.

19. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

CC is not a big fan of workout warriors . Thats a good thing cause the road is littered with guys with great 40s who can't play . The Texans will get a shot at a really good player . 2 QBs, 3 RBs , 2 CBs , 2 WRs , 2 LBs thats 11 top notch players and there may be more . You just know there will be a couple of picks for need before 13 . That leaves the Texans with options.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'm gonna be right at the head of the line of guys asking that qustion. OK
    look, last year NE drafts a very good Miami DL (Vince Wilfork), in the first round and uses him basically as a reserve this year. And that's probably what the Pats had in mind for him. But hey, we're no NE. NE may have the luxury
    of keeping 1st round picks around as reserves, we're in no such position. This
    is a fairly high pick 1st rounder (13th overall) - we really oughta think first about getting someone who plays from day one like the rest of our #1s - Carr, AJ, D-Rob, Babin.