McClain: Let's Fix the Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MojoX, Dec 12, 2006.

1. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

In a new blog entry, McClain offers up a plan to fix the Texans. He offers up assessments of the offense and defense and means to fix both. It's a long one. Follow the link for the whole piece.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/warning_dont_read_this_blog_if.html

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

question is if HE can get over not having VY here

BattleRedToro likes this.
  3. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Other than that, I pretty much agree with his blog post.

4. texaslifter

texaslifter Veteran

That is DEFINITELY one of the better blogs by him.

5. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

He must be getting heat form the Texans, b/c he has been ripping them harder than anyone. You know he really doesn't feel this way, after he told them over and over last April they were making a huge mistake. He was one of the many who told them that...

6. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

Well, he does reiterate that they made a huge mistake by passing on Young and goes so far that the Texans know it now too. I think McClain is being sincere. He's just trying to let the past be in the past and look ahead.

7. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I disagree with him on like 80% of what he wrote.

If Jake plummer comes here, I'll be as ticked as the Carr haters, and Adrian wont have great games because the O-line still is junk. Its been 5 years and for some reason ALL OF US have asked for the O-line to be fixed and frankly A Peterson has injury issues.

8. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

This may actually be theraputic - bottoming out like this. That way we (McClain too) can look to the future and bury the frustration we've had since last April. No where to go but up... until Bush comes into town next year or unless Carr gets traded and takes his next team to the Super Bowl.

9. texaslifter

texaslifter Veteran

I'd like to add that I do not want Adrian Peterson. Not because he isn't a good runner - he is. But he has injury issues, he just gets hurt too often. Putting him against harder hitting, bigger, stronger defenses in the NFL can't make it any better.

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

lol so heres the plan:

draft a stud LT in the 1st round.
    draft Adrian Peterson in the 1st round or a feature back sometime later.
    draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to be groomed.
    draft a starting caliber CB that hits hard AND covers well.
    draft a starting caliber S that hits hard, plays the run well, and covers well.
    draft a starting caliber OLB
    draft a speedy pass rusher that gets a lot of sacks

So basically, we need to have 7 draft picks before round 2 is up in order to accomplish what he's saying here...

11. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Get rid of Carr ... I'm giving McClain a neg rep .

12. texaslifter

texaslifter Veteran

No, he says you can get a good RB in later rounds, same with lineman. He also says that we can look to free agency for a number of these needs.

13. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

LOL - It so easy - Why didn't we THINK of this last year?!!?!!

14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

He's saying the turn around may not be complete until 2008 . There's no reason that we can't be above average next year .

15. texaslifter

texaslifter Veteran

Part of me thinks its a blessing in disguise that Mario is hurt. He was obviously becoming a force earlier in the year before his injury. There is no reason to believe that won't continue as he gets more experience and the injury bug leaves him.

But what does that mean? The team loses a couple more games with one of its 'impact' players not being so 'impact'. A higher draft pick, and a solid defensive unit next year.

At least thats what I'm hoping for.

16. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

That's pretty much it. Winston would be a very large guard as he's really jumbo tackle sized. I guess if he can run, go for it.

Anyway, McClain sees the same need areas with more work from the inside out. I think he's off regarding one position although it might be possible to pick up one of these track guys. It's obvious they need a burner who can stretch the field. Two would be ideal. Harrison and Wayne would be nice. On defense more rush will make the guys they have in the secondary now all pros. Later rounds should see a lot of secondary picks. Peaty going to marauder on the dime will be strong with a new CB and one or two more new guys in the secondary.

17. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

OK, so lets break down McClain’s scenario....

RB = 1st pick - has to be Peterson - b/c the chances of picking him up as an undrafted free agent aren’t good (even in McClain's fantasy scenario)

Stud LT = Probably won't get a starter in the 2nd round; so I'm guessing you'll have to pick up a stud no one wants through free agency. No bid deal, we pick up a stud LT every year like this. :)

young QB = We need a veteran, so we will plug Rosenfeilds in here and not let him cover kicks next year. Now all we have to do is draft a QB; Lets use our 3rd round pick and give him a clipboard. Do - able.

OLB starter = 2nd round; this is where we got Ryans - so this is feasible

DE pass rusher = 4th round; - but wait a second; if we can get quality DE talent in the 4th round - why did pick Mario in the 1st... oopps - need to look to the future.

CB starter = 5th round. There should be plenty of starters available in the 5th round… but wait a second; if we can get quality CB talent in the 5th round - why trade multiple picks for P Buchanan... oopps – sorry need to keep looking to the future.

S starter = 6th round or free agency; no problem.

Hmmmm...

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Not a bad blog by McClain. But it's just another voice in the wilderness, because this off-season could go many different directions.

I wouldn't mind 'drafting ugly' if it addresses our o-line. A RB or defensive player wouldn't bother me, either. We've got so many holes on this team after four years of Casserly/Capers & Co. sorry building that we could use that pick on several different positions for needed upgrades.

19. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Good blog post by McClain. Texans fans have to start thinking ahead not what could have been. We don't have Vince or Reggie, they have to deal with it. Obvioiusly, many of the comments he recieved didn't read the warning.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

If you want a starter you have to use a first or second rounder or at least a first day pick at CB for the most part. This isn't like finding a rb.