McClain:How would you motivate Mario?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/08/how_would_you_motivate_mario_w.html

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Send your Madden '08 covers to Mario c/o the Houston Texans. :neener:

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

the best way to motivate players that don't produce is to bench them and take away their starting spot...no better time than now when it doesn't count. It's sad that we are even talking about motivating Mario and his 50 million guaranteed cash.

4. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

I agree....other methods in practice are obviously not getting through to this guy....if he's playing like a 3rd stringer maybe the coaching staff should treat him like one and take away his minutes.........

5. Double Barrel

I am extremely disappointed that Mario requires outside motivation at all. It is not consistent with everything I've ever read about the great ones in sports who motivate themselves from within. It's called heart, and obviously some have it more than others.

6. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

vince has heart.........

*dream runs and leaves thread*

7. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Not exactly sure we can question a mans courage and heart that played in extreme pain for most of his first season when he quite easily could have had himself benched.

I'll wait for the season to unfold before passing judgement.

I'll also hope for the best.

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

We are talking about motivating Mario because John McClain thinks it is an issue. From the comments:

Though Mario wasn't terribly effective yesterday, at least from my eyes it didn't look like a lack of effort. (Though I suppose, I should just look at stat sheets instead of my eyes). You know, where you are begging your readers to come up with ridiculous ways to motivate Mario so that you can publish them in the newspaper and get lots of page hits with a pile-on Mario post.

FWIW, this is what Kubiak says on the effort issue:

I guess that is coach speak for: "I really hope the Houston Chronicle readers come up with ways to motivate Mario, such as the witty threat to mess up his Lamborghini blast. Boy howdy, that's some great humor."

9. Vinny

I just wish effort equated to good play. I'm sure Carr gave a good effort for all 5 years he was here.

10. Double Barrel

We've talked about it before this article, as well. When we hear a coach telling us that he had to chew Mario out to make him mad, and this resulted in better practice for him, then I see outside motivation being required.

I want the guy to succeed as much as anyone, but he still looks like a force field is sticking him to the first offensive lineman that hits him. I'm not seeing a fierceness in his play that refuses to allow someone to stop him. I watched yesterday's first team several times, and Mario never seemed to get away from his first block.

If there is something 'magical' that happens when the games count, then consider these games pointless to analyze. But I think you play like you practice, and I'm having a hard time believing that Mario is just going to turn it on when regular season starts. We should be seeing some indication of something right now, IMO.

11. Rex King

Rex King Veteran

I don't see a problem with his motivation on the field. Off the field, he may not be doing everything he can - studying film, working on his own technique.

I can see why we have two senior coaches devoted fulltime to the d-line. There are more than four guys who they have to coach up. Zgonina's the only real vet. There's no Reggie White or Jevon Kearse to mentor any of them. It would be a lot easier if the rest of the line was established and Bush or Franklin could devote their time to working with Mario or Amobi.

12. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

[​IMG]

guess chron can run R.I.P. photo?

13. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Well alot of posters on here seem to think he lacks the effort. He displays alot of effort IMO. It's also good to here it from Coach Kubes as well.

Let's see how he does in his 2nd year. I think Mario will have a bigger impact on the Texans in a good way than David Carr did.( I know that's not alot, lol)

“A watched pot never boils.”

14. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Exactly.

I am expecting to hear a lot of the debates about Carr being rehashed as Mario stuff.

(coaching carousel, young group he is working with, no talented veteran leadership, how can you evaluate fire and heart blah blah blah. He also has the black cloud of the 2006 draft hanging over his head so his good will with the fan base is very limited and the burden of living up to a fat contract that often fans and teammates resent).

That being said, I think you can overlearn mistakes of the past. Carr is Carr, and Mario is Mario. All players have pluses and minuses. I would like to see more. I'd also like to see more from the defense as a whole. (Richard Smith is going to get a pass from John McClain until and unless it gets impossible not to critique him--McClain likes him a lot).

15. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The thought itself...motivation..for a #1 pick that people doubt is flawed to start with. That right there should be motivation enough. Personally I hated being doubted when I played sports and wanted to kill the other team. I'd hope that the people you put on the field have that same mentality and at some point hard work in general pays off.

16. Vinny

agreed on many levels....right now we are what we are (to steal a phrase from the Tuna), so while patience from the fans isn't always something that is easy for us (or more specifically me)....I think all we can do is be patient and hope that Mario starts making plays. It's not like we can go exchange him like a bad lawnmower you get at walmart. Hopefully one day we will eventually have something to be proud of when it comes to 1st overall selections.

17. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Hopefully the cheers for VY will get him going. If not, then maybe the "Reggie! Reggie!" chants that will more than likely fill Reliant will do the trick.

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I know you are joking but if that gets him motivated we are in sad shape...

Cheers for vince twice a year and cheers for Reggie 1 out of 4 years.. (when we play their respectable teams)

Just being with Demeco out to be motivation enough esp with his well deserved rookie of the year award

19. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Here's the team picture of Mario. I didn't realize he was born with a heart two sizes too small.

[​IMG]

20. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I don't think Mario is guaranteed on $50 million, it's probably somewhere in the mid 20's

As to motivating a #1 draft pick with a huge contract, it's not like we haven't dealt with this before. We get rid of one and continue with another.

So it seems.

By the way, Schaub looks pretty good! I have heavily analyzed that personnel move, it looks like it's going to pay off.

Trying to look on the bright side of things.