Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McCardell still on radar?

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
With the signing of B. Johnson.... I doubt he is enough to prevent us from signing Keenan if he does not find a better offer elsewhere and decides to come here. If that did happen, I wonder if BJ would still make the team or who would end up being cut? Bethel? Andre Davis?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/12189

Texas WR Corps still rates below average:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4955025.html

The veteran, who hails from Houston, is waiting to receive a better offer than the Texans' bid. The youngsters can handle the speed and special teams; McCardell would bring experience and professionalism to a group that has a lot to learn.

Rick Smith has already stated that McCardell won't be pursued further. All Jerome Soloman had to do was pickup the phone and give Smith a ring to find that out. More lazy journalism from The Chronic.

McCardell is 37 years old and played like it last season. 36 catches, zero TDs. he's not a #2 WR anymore. He's probably not a #3 WR, at this point. It would be a waste of the Texans time to put McCardell out on the field, when they can get the same (or better) production from younger players like Walter & Jones.

Rick Smith has already stated that McCardell won't be pursued further. All Jerome Soloman had to do was pickup the phone and give Smith a ring to find that out. More lazy journalism from The Chronic.

McCardell is 37 years old and played like it last season. 36 catches, zero TDs. he's not a #2 WR anymore. He's probably not a #3 WR, at this point. It would be a waste of the Texans time to put McCardell out on the field, when they can get the same (or better) production from younger players like Walter & Jones.

Not pursuing him further might simply mean, this is our final offer take it or leave it. Not sure how you read into that there is no chance of him signing here.:devilpig:

I didn't take what Solomon said as saying that McCardell is still on the Texans radar.

From The Chronic link above:

That is why it would be nice if Keenan McCardell decides to play for the Texans.

The veteran, who hails from Houston, is waiting to receive a better offer than the Texans' bid. The youngsters can handle the speed and special teams; McCardell would bring experience and professionalism to a group that has a lot to learn.
The point is, the Texans have moved on. McCardell no longer gets to decide to play for the Texans. And really, where is the roster spot for him, anyway.

AJ #1 WR
Walter #2 WR
Jacoby Jones either #3 or #4 WR
#3 or #4 WR (Anderson, Adams, Davis)
#5 WR/KR - Mathis or Bethel Johnson

The WR that takes the roster spot out of Anderson, Adams, and Davis will have to help on special teams. McCardell can't do that. I remember the Broncos brought Jerry Rice into camp a couple of years ago on a make good contract. No signing bonus. He provided "experience and professionalism" during training camp, then was cut before the season opener. That's probably what Smith and Kubiak had in mind.

TC, I know you're probably friends with Solomon, but I think he's a lousy writer. And an even worse talk radio host. Just my opinion.

From The Chronic link above:

The point is, the Texans have moved on. McCardell no longer gets to decide to play for the Texans. And really, where is the roster spot for him, anyway.

AJ #1 WR
Walter #2 WR

The WR that takes the roster spot out of Anderson, Adams, and Davis will have to help on special teams. McCardell can't do that. I remember the Broncos brought Jerry Rice into camp a couple of years ago on a make good contract. No signing bonus. He provided "experience and professionalism" during training camp, then was cut before the season opener. That's probably what Smith and Kubiak had in mind.

TC, I know you're probably friends with Solomon, but I think he's a lousy writer. And an even worse talk radio host. Just my opinion.

Heck, I'm just giving JS credit that he wrote something about the Texans that was an offseason analysis and wasn't about the QB position.

AJ #1 WR
Walter #2 WR

This combo with a newish QB is a little unnerving. No I don't think the Texans want McCardell, or that what Smith said was just posturing. Personally, I think the biggest value of the article was basically telling folks that the Texans are taking a big bet on upside.

I don't think the Texans are "betting on upside" versus doing a patch job and hoping. With A. Davis and B. Johnson, the texans (and the rest of the NFL) know they are dealing with mediocore at best players and have given them one year contracts. Jones is obvious unknown and upside, while I will listen to Walter in either camp (mediocore or unproven), but chances are that the Texans have an idea of what Walter is as a player. More of a situation where the texans know they can't resolve all all their problems in one year.

What exactly is new or enlightening in the Solomon article? I read it twice and I couldn't get past the "Yes, Houston had a problem" reference and the weeks old quote from Andre about Schaub. Yeah, it was probably the first article in the Chronicle ever to mention the names Onrea Jones and Terry Richardson, but so what? That just fortifies the suckiness of the NFL coverage we get in our only newspaper. McClain's passion is movies, Manfull couldn't write an article without a quote sheet if her life depended on it, and the self proclaimed King rolls out a yawner every two months or so. Whoopee.

I heard the same interview with Smith a couple of months back, and my impression was that the possibility of getting McCardell was off the table. At this point, I would rather take a chance on a younger player with potential then hope that a player at the end of his career has enough gas in the tank to make an impact.

Molds ....... rounds 2, IMO

As a Titans fan if you do get him I hope Harper covers him all day. They can play bingo or something ....

What exactly is new or enlightening in the Solomon article? I read it twice and I couldn't get past the "Yes, Houston had a problem" reference and the weeks old quote from Andre about Schaub. Yeah, it was probably the first article in the Chronicle ever to mention the names Onrea Jones and Terry Richardson, but so what? That just fortifies the suckiness of the NFL coverage we get in our only newspaper. McClain's passion is movies, Manfull couldn't write an article without a quote sheet if her life depended on it, and the self proclaimed King rolls out a yawner every two months or so. Whoopee.

It's not terribly new or enlightening to us, but the general fan base doesn't read anything other than what is in the Chronic.

Yeah, that was my point--it was the first time that I could ever remember an offseason article in the newspaper about the Texans that was an analysis of something other than the quarterback position. I was reading the paper going, what the heck is this doing here? It was peculiar.

I just read it as something that suggested to Aggie fans not to get their hopes up that Bethel Johnson would be The Answer. Though giving out McCardell's name as possible help ain't likely either unless we are doing the poor gulf coast version of the Patriots WR hoarding.

AJ #1 WR
Walter #2 WR

Remember that JJones is also a kick returner, so Anderson, Adams, and Davis could be battling for two spots and Mathis and Johnson could both be out unless they can add something with their receiving.

Remember that JJones is also a kick returner, so Anderson, Adams, and Davis could be battling for two spots and Mathis and Johnson could both be out unless they can add something with their receiving.

People keep saying JJones is a kick returner.. at 6'2 210+ I just don't see that... Maybe I'm way way off... but usually long stride guys (haven't seen ANY game film.. just judging by his height) aren't very good returners due to the time it takes them to change direction and the fact that while they may have very fast 40 times... they are deceptive because they take longer to get going. I know Mathis to me seemed to be one of the taller returners I'd seen... and he's only 5'11.. I know its only 3 inches.. but just seems big for a returner...

Mike

I just went and looked (dammit I can't do anything without stats can I?) and of the 13 guys with over 1000 return yards last year... only 1 was over 5-11 and he was 6'1.. everyone else was 5'8 - 5'11... with most of the guys having higher averages being in the 5'8 - 5'9 range.. if you ask me I think it makes them harder to find... and lets them slip through smaller creases...

People keep saying JJones is a kick returner.. at 6'2 210+ I just don't see that... Maybe I'm way way off... but usually long stride guys (haven't seen ANY game film.. just judging by his height) aren't very good returners due to the time it takes them to change direction and the fact that while they may have very fast 40 times... they are deceptive because they take longer to get going. I know Mathis to me seemed to be one of the taller returners I'd seen... and he's only 5'11.. I know its only 3 inches.. but just seems big for a returner...

Mike

I just went and looked (dammit I can't do anything without stats can I?) and of the 13 guys with over 1000 return yards last year... only 1 was over 5-11 and he was 6'1.. everyone else was 5'8 - 5'11... with most of the guys having higher averages being in the 5'8 - 5'9 range.. if you ask me I think it makes them harder to find... and lets them slip through smaller creases...
The reason why everyone keeps saying he is a returner is because he did it very well in College. I definantly gey your point but even though Mathis is just a hair under 6' the main reason why he is a great returner in simply because of his ability to find and explode through a crease. Mathis actually is a "longer stride" guy, he simply has amazing straight line speed.

From what I understand, Jones is fairly shifty. He also took kick returns in OTA's. I guess we will find out in a month.

People keep saying JJones is a kick returner.. at 6'2 210+ I just don't see that... Maybe I'm way way off... .

I posted some commentary on this a few days ago as I tried to find someone to compare him to since most returners seem to be shorter guys. The 49ers John Taylor was a very similar prospect from a small college, taken in the 3rd round and was a heck of a punt returner in his day. Beerlover pointed out that they were both selected in about the same draft slot as well. I'm not calling him John Taylor...but at least we have some knowledge of a player much like him turning out to be a dynamic player on special teams and as a WR2.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=689211&postcount=14

Vinny said:
Re: Jacoby's Dream Realized

I've been trying to think of a tall punt returner/WR2 in recent time and perhaps John Taylor of the 49ers is someone who Jacoby Jones may be comparable to as far as upside. Taylor was 6'1" out of tiny Delaware State College and was a hell of a punt returner and a great compliment to Jerry Rice. Taylor also ran a 4.67 40 at the combine that didn't really impress anyone but proved to have deceptive speed and excellent YAC ability due to his great body control. Taylor was really known for his ability to run with the ball after the catch...and that is Jones strength. Both guys are in the wco in the NFL as well. Lots of similarities to these players on paper.

Back