Mayock's Top 20 Players

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ole Miss Texan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Just saw this across the screen during the Combine (Monday Night):

1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forrest
    2. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    3. Jason Smith, T, Baylor
    4. Brian Orakpo, LB, Texas
    5. Eugene Monroe, T, Virginia
    6. Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    7. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    8. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St.
    9. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    10. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    11. James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio St.
    12. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
    13. Andre Smith, T, Alabama
    14. B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    15. Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn St.
    16. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.
    17. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    18. Brian Cushing, LB, USC
    19. Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
    20. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

2. Ole Miss Texan

Go Donald Brown!!

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't understand the ranking of Pettigrew at number 8. I think he is going to fall on draft day.

He just doesn't seem to have any offensive threat. He ran a very disappointing 40 at the combine, and wasn't a top performer in many other categories. He had a disappointing season last year (no touchdowns), and has a felony arrest charge for assaulting a police officer.

Wheres the upside?

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That guy can catch and block, have you watched him play at all on the field? He is a stud in my opinion. I have no idea what he has between the ears, but he gets it done.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think it's obvious that Crabtree might fall a bit. I'm also a little surprised to see Orakpo listed as a LB.

6. Spled

Spled All Pro

Pettigrew wouldn't be bad for The Raiders. He could catch passes for Russell and block for their 3 running backs.

7. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

There is gonna be so much posturing and media hype and players falling and rising...I can't wait till after the combine and see where Walter Football ranks these guys. It really seems to me that the best value this year isn't in QB or RB. Yes the RB class is deep, though not alot of burners. I do see alot of RB's to back up Slaton. The wide reciever class is awesome...lots of burners...It is a very good Defensive class this year. Time to put Peyton in his place...face down a$$ up......:whip:

8. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

Whoa now football is no place for that kind of hanky-panky.... :headhurts:

rarazz00 likes this.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Thats the way Carr used to suck.

swtbound07 likes this.
  10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Nope, never watched him personally in a game. So this could all be meaningless. I watched him during the combine and thought he did OK on the position drills but disappointed in the workouts. Comparing his stats to other TEs seems to indicate he isn't nearly the offensive threat that others are. Maybe its his offensive system.

I know he's a better blocker, but I also listened to a few GMs say they prefer TEs who can catch because defenses are so worried about them slipping by, they don't need to be great blockers.

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Curry is a great prospect at LB but after that I got serious reservations about Mayocs ranking of the LBs ?
    I'm now to the point where I'd take Matthews over Cushing and I dunno if Laurinaitis even gets drafted in the first round ? It wasn't just he had a slow 40, he didn't look at all athletic or agile in the drills, yet Mayoc has him at
    #11 ?

12. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Interesting to see Laurinitis back on the rise. I wonder how much run the Texans are giving him at 15? LB seems to be pushing up the scale of importance as the only true 4-3 DE (MJohnson) has plenty of questions surrounding him. Personally, I'd like to see Matthews in a Texans uni, bring that great tradition back to Houston. He's seemed to play his way up into the bottom of the first so maybe a trade down would be in order...

13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I don't get the idea that just because Orakpo can play rush LB in a 34 that he can't be a DE in a 43.

Mayock thinks he can do both but he lists him as a OLB because he thinks that he would be better at it.

As for Mayock's rankings, IIRC he ranks players based on how good he thinks they will eventually be, not on where he thinks they will be drafted.

14. Ole Miss Texan

Question:
    Answer:
    That's how rankings (big boards) are supposed to work. Listing them on where they might get drafted is more of a mock than a ranking.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

You didn't answer my question.

The question was why do some people think he can't be a 43 DE?

Just because he would be better in a 34 doesn't mean that he still isn't the top 43 DE in the draft as well.

I have him listed as the my top 43 DE & my top 34 OLB.

As for rankings, I haven't seen any "experts" besides Mayock that rank them this way. Kiper always lists his big board by the order he thinks guys will go.

Ex: Mayock doesn't believe that Ayers will be a 1st rounder but he lists him high because he thinks that eventually he will be that kind of player. Kiper lists Ayers lower because he is a "2nd round" guy.

16. Ole Miss Texan

I thought you answered your own question! Mayock thinks he could play both 43 and 34. But he lists him as a LB because he thinks that why he'll get drafted and where he would be best suited.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My question isn't why does Mayock list him only as a 34 OLB.

My question is why do some people think that he can't be a 43 DE? I keep seeing posts like MJ is the only 43 DE and stuff like that.

I think it is very likely that Orakpo could get drafted by a 43 team.

My question really has nothing to do with Mayock.

18. Ole Miss Texan

I like the idea of listing the prospects like how Mayock does. He goes out and says that Robert Ayers, Donald Brown, etc. are better players than those listed below them. It doesn't matter where they end up getting drafted b/c each team and situation is different.

For example (hypothetically): I don't like the idea of saying Beanie Wells is a top 10 player b/c of how the teams/needs/prospects set up. I prefer saying Wells is a late first round kind of RB. Chances are he will get selected much higher, but his value is selecting him in the 20's. Or I might say something like Clay Matthews is one of the top 20 players in this draft. He'll most likely have a long successful year. Chances are, this player will get drafted in the late first round and may slip to the top of the 2nd round... but he's a top 20 player.

Everyone has their own way and sometimes that way is better than the other. I prefer looking at it differently though (easier for me to see who I think were reaches and who were steals). Doesn't mean I'm right though :foottap:

19. Ole Miss Texan

I hear you. Short answer? Probably b/c most people repeat everything they read on the internet about these prospects without watching them and developing their own opinions. :heh:

20. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Olemiss, what do you and the nfl.com guys (and also Casserly!) see in Curry to rate him #1 overall, I'd like to know!

Did Gruden say that his guy is ReyRey (without saying who he rates as number one overall)?