Maybe they know what they're doing?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

I've been hammering the Texans for a while, but today it struck me: maybe they know what they're doing.

Look at it this way: in FA maybe they are making small but significant improvements. Weaver is, by all accounts a solid player. Sage Rosenfels, well, I don't know. He's reasonably tall. The fullback looks like a solid, serious guy. THe other people they're looking at--the center, the tight end, Givens -- they're all solid players. Not spectacular, but maybe significantly better than what we're use to.

So maybe that's the FA idea--incremental improvements over a wide range of positions.

And yes, they're overpaying. And yes, I'd rather they go after top guys, even if it meant they only had a couple three years left in the tank. But maybe what they're doing isn't so bad, and we'll come out in the composite significantly improved? Doesn't that seem like a possibility?

I mean, I hate to be rah rah, but I'm just sayin' :monkey:

TexanBacker93 likes this.
  2. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Who are you and what did you do to nighthawk?:spy:

awtysst likes this.
  3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I wouldn't discount this point of view. I've been thinking the same way. A couple of average players in key spots would be significant upgrades for us. Therefore I think Weaver was probably a good pick-up. In addition, I think an average pass blocking center would help us out immensely.

Funny.

4. big homey

big homey Veteran

Nonsense! Casserly is an ***** and this FO is going to ruin this franchise for eternity!

But seriously, I think the moves they've made so far have been good - Weaver is a solid run-stopper, which nobody should be complaining about when you reflect on our run defense last year. Cook is a special teams guy, bolstering what was our strong point last year. Rosenfels is, well, better than Banks at least.

We may overpay somewhat, but at least the FO is showing they're willing to push out the big chips to try and improve the team. That might go a way toward attracting some other FA's who know we aren't cheapskates in Houston. Just being optimistic.

5. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

nighthawk you're speaking in logic, people here don't understand that

6. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

hahaha

7. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

WTF?? I can't believe it. A glass-half-full type of thread on this message board? I think I'm going to faint.

8. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

I think it makes for a rather pleasant change. :ok:

This board has been negative for so long - perhaps we are in a rut, so to speak. Surely the powers that be aren't leaving Casserly out there hangin' about to make his own decisions. :brickwall Seriously, someone with a brain just has to be telling Cass what to do, although I'm not real sure about Rosenfels, I'm not a QB coach either. Seeing the big bucks James and El Randel went for - maybe they figure a bunch of average guys beat one or two "stars" as we need so many players at this time. That makes sense to me.

I think instead of arrogance as someone else posted, I shall think of these little FA decisions as faith in their coaching ability. I do know that for the first time in all of my put togethers, I'm going to be interested in the pre-season games.

Go Texans!

9. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I like this. Positives. Being negative can get to be a habit and not really good for the digestion either.

10. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Hey ... it's your choice. Eat Tums or live in a delusional, out of touch with reality world that Jags and Titans fans live in...

11. bATXle red

bATXle red Rookie

who knows till we see these guys in a texans uniform...

12. BeerFan

BeerFan Veteran

you know, the Patriots don't sign stars either. Neither do the Broncos. Please don't tell me Plummer was a star, because he wasn't. Champ Bailey is a star, but he was acquired through trade. I'm sure fans of these teams weren't pleased with their type of acquisitions at first either.

so quit whining. all people do on this board is complain about Reggie Bush, or Casserly, or Young, or Capers, or Carr, or Pendry, or the O-Line. its getting quite old.

see beyond the allure of stars and understand what the FO is trying to do here. You don't need to fill the roster with pro-bowlers to win games. Look at the Yankees. Look at the Knicks. the teams that do this are not the teams that win.

i'd take smart moves over glitzy moves any day.

Cook - may become the starting fullback. there's no reason for signing him otherwise.

Rosenfels - come on! its a backup quarterback. we know Carr is going to take every snap anyway, so don't worry about what this guy can and can't do. He's no Marino, but he could easily be a Detmer. role players are important too.

Weaver - did you notice us stop the run last year? neither did i. this is an improvement. he's also a better pass rusher than whatever fat turds we managed to be playing at end. this leaves Babin and Peek on the other side, which could possibly become an effective platoon, so to speak.

13. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Me too. Lets name them. I'll start.

uh

let me get back with you on this .. :rolleyes:

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

last season I made the "mistake" of being positive about our acquisitions and not judging until I saw enough of them on the field to say one way or the other.

You could say that I was mistaken last year, seeing as we had a terrible season, but I dont think I was.

I think you really cant just remain negative about every move we make. Yah you might not agree with it.. yah we would all like to see our FO pull off some miracle and sign 3 probowlers for 10 year contracts at $6.50 an hour... but it doesnt work like that, not always, and you cant really expect huge changes and immediate improvement in every phase of the game.

Look at the Browns. Yah..they have made some nice signings.. but do you really think that the Browns have fixed their team now? They havent solved all their problems, despite all the money they have spent. I am sure it has entertained their fans, but personally, I am more entertained by wins than by having notable players on my team. Ask the Patriots about that. Look at the Redskins.. they have sold the farm repeatedly to get big names in Free Agency.. has it helped them? sure..they even made it to the playoffs last season.... the playoffs... not the superbowl. Despite having established players.. great coaches.. probowlers.. and a huge fanbase and being the #1 most profitable team in the NFL... and all of their trades and huge signings got them the privilege of sniffing the superbowl, not playing in it.

By contrast.. look at the Patriots..the Colts.. the Seahawks..the Steelers... what have they done? have they been big players in FA? have they sold the farm? Only on their own talent.

All we have done during the FA periods, every year, is get solid players that we think can make a difference for us. Have we had to pay them more than they are worth? yes.. due to the "risk" involved with coming to an expansion team that is struggling to find itself..we have been forced to overpay a bit. I dont see it as a big deal.. we arent in cap hell.. and we arent likely to be in cap hell any time soon.

I want to see us get Gaffney and Peek back.. that is the kind of home grown talent we need to hold onto. Other than that.. I am not worried about this FA period.

Ive gone off on a tangent. The point is.. you cant base your opinions on this team on how familiar the names of our FA signings are. We have a new coaching staff.. we have a bright future with alot of young talented players.. and that is enough. LeCharles Bentley may have helped us get our offense straight.. but his contribution would have been miniscule compared to the impact that a new staff and a very qualified Oline coach will have.

Try not to pull your hair out people.. we arent killing ourselves..we arent digging ourselves a hole.. we already made our key acquisitions in our coaching staff... now we are just making solid signings to fill some needs..so that we can go into the draft and have the freedom to take the best players available to us.

15. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I'm close to 6'2, and with cleats maybe a little bit over. Can I play for the minimum? Just practice with the team, build some muscle. Maybe I can get a free trip to Europe in a year or two once I'm physically ready. I'm pretty accurate too for someone that never played football, and you can't teach that...

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the players they picked up, but the price they paid. The argument about the Patriots not signing big name guys isn't valid because they didn't tap out the Scrooge McDuck cashpile for their signings.

16. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

I have no problem with getting Weaver.

but paying him pro-bowl money is ridiculous. Hes a smaller, weaker, less athletic Travis Johnson in my eyes.

17. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Allow me to take you into a time machine into a time when we thought Buchanon would be a shutdown corner and the Texans, Lions, Packers, Jets, Saints, and Cardinals were actually contenders for the playoffs. Back when Destiny's Child was still together.

Mike Shanahan was ridiculed by anyone who pretends to know anything about football. He traded a good RB and acquired all the Browns' D-linemen. Then, he signed Ron Dayne, drafted Maurice Clarett and allowed Jake Plummer to be the only QB on the roster capable of "leading" a team. Then the regular season came...and did it come. The Broncos had a great season and ended up losing in the playoffs to the eventual Superbowl champions. Do you know who else helped significantly? Gary Kubiak. Neither of us here are GMs, so don't critique the moves of a guy that has actually carried the Lombardi Trophy.

But then again, this is Charlie Casserly.

18. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

if only we played flag-football, with girls, on a tennis court, Buchanon WOULD be a shutdown corner!

19. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Check the archives...even I thought he was going to team up with D-rob for double-digit picks...:crying: ...we all grew from that.

Now, the only thing he can shut down is his computer..

BradK10 likes this.
  20. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

this is why i feel compelled to speak

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT SALARY
    54 109 776 49.5 7.12 77 6 6 3 68.4 1,540,900

Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate SALARY
    2356 1278 54.2 15315 6.50 85 77 73 227/1432 191 43 72.4 1,053,943

Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate SALARY
    40 20 50.0 135 3.38 24 0 1 8/39 1 0 47.4 605,000

qb #1 is our recently acquired sage rosenfels....our brilliant free agent signing, requisite with multi million dollar signing bonus. the man has thrown 109 passes IN HIS CAREER.

qb #2 is our established veteran backup, Tony Banks, who has won games in a texans uniform

qb #3 is Nfl europe Mvp dave ragone, who has only been given 2 career starts, and was drafted in the 3rd round to fill exactly the role we just handed to sage-y.

Front office gets faith for what now?