Maybe last years draft wasn't all Phillips.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DocBar, Apr 26, 2012.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

LINK
    Just some food for thought here.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Not sure what this has to do with last year. It's documented that Phillips gave Smith a list of players he wanted. And Smith drafted 5 of them.

Credit Smith for actually drafting the players. He did move up to take Harris. But it was Phillips' list he was drafting from.

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Last years draft was 2011 not 2009.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Don't be starting a thread that hints at Rick Smith being good in the war room ... not here ..... TT won't have any part of that. :foottap:

5. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Not that I don't believe you, but where is the documented evidence of this? Just curious because things tend to become fact around here after enough people say it...

I agree with the OP. The FO has gotten better at drafting, before Phillips came in and the trend has continued after he came in.

6. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

I getcha DB, making the point that it isn't the first time we've drafted well on D.

2009 has turned out to be a good draft, especially when you consider that some people see it as the worst overall draft class of all time (not the Texans' draft class, the draft class as a whole).

Wade definitely made a big contribution last year, but you can't discount that the bulk of the work was done by the scouting team etc with Wade likely picking based on information provided to him.

I also don't know why people are lauding last years draft as some kind of 2006 repeat right now, only 3 of them made any real contribution so far, with potential for more going forward, but we just don't know yet.

You simply have to wait 3 years before beginning to grade a draft, rewind 12 months and I'll give you the general consensus on the 2009 draft -

Cushing - PED pumping rookie season, garbage once he came off the juice
    Connor Barwin - reasonable contribution in rookie season, injured sophomore, undecided but with potential
    Glover Quin - Poor CB who held the team back
    Caldwell - Decent starter about to be beaten out in camp by Briesel
    Casey - Can't get ahead of Dreessen on the depth chart, low contribution
    McCain - held us back in the worst secondary in football
    Troy Nolan - people actually probably rated him higher 12 months ago than they do now.

And yet people already want to grade last years draft as some kind of epic win, I'm quietly confident, but lets wait and see eh?

7. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

Year and title are off but damn good draft nonetheless. Let's go Texans!!! Man I'm pumped.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That's very well may be true. Smith all but admitted in his PC and on the 610 interview that he was basically learning on the job. Especially working with other teams.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...nference/62a8c4f6-de04-4926-ba34-638dc7b01b9d

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
  10. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

2009 Draft has turned into a great draft class!

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

No, I'm not. I'm saying he didn't really know how to run a draft when he got here. On the job training, more or less. Similar to that of our owner, who also admitted he was learning as he went

12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Well, if Cushing played like garbage last year, I certainly hope he continues to play like garbage. I mean WTF?

Edit: Oh that's right - rewind the last 12 months, doh!

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Its everybody. Wade didn't lock Kubiak and Smith in a closet till the draft was over. The Texans are very much into having multiple coaches from both sides of the ball scout players. Wade had more of a plan of attack, and led the players infinitly better than Bush, but he is not 100% responsible for that draft. Thats not the first good draft we have had. Had a few prior to him arriving.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

This is what I was saying after last year's draft.

Smith is pretty good at working the draft.

I think a big part of Smith's "problem" in drafts was the coaches he was working with. I think Smith is the kind of GM who sits down with the coordinators and the positional coaches, presents them with lists of guys and what the scouts think, and then creates his board off of what the coaches tell him they want.

I think he got some great feedback from Phillips and the new defensive staff and I think that resulted in a great draft. In previous years, I think he'd gotten some crappy suggestions (especially wrt defensive backs) and that led to him drafting some guys he maybe shouldn't have drafted.

BigBull17 likes this.
  15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

Yeah, see... his point was that 2011 was a great draft. But 2009 was a great draft too and it was before Phillips. So maybe Phillips isn't the only reason we had a good draft in 2011.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Agreed. Bush didn't know his elbow from his *******.

17. Rey

Rey Guest

I agree.

I also think that he will continue to get better the longer he does it. I think he has learned from things he's done in the past and I think this will be a good draft this year because of it.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You would think Rick may watch a little film so that he could be educated on those lists. He** he might even compile a list of his own? (Doubtful)

19. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

This post is all kinds of fail.

20. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Since you've got the finger very close to the pulse of the Texans FO office, what are Rick Smith's preparations exactly?