Maurice Clarett arrested after highway chase

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by texan279, Aug 9, 2006.

1. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5858558

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Maurice Clarett was arrested early Wednesday after a highway chase that ended with police using Mace on the former Ohio State running back and finding four loaded guns in his truck, a police spokesman said.

Officers used Mace to subdue Clarett after a stun gun was ineffective because the former Fiesta Bowl star was wearing a bullet-resistant vest, Sgt. Michael Woods said.
    "It took several officers to get him handcuffed," Woods said. "Even after he was placed in the paddy wagon, he was still kicking at the doors and being a problem for the officers."

Clarett was taken to police headquarters to be interviewed. Police planned to charge him with carrying concealed weapons and other counts, Woods said.

Clarett made an illegal U-turn on the city's east side and failed to stop when officers, in a cruiser with lights flashing, tried to pull him over, Woods said.

Police were pursuing Clarett on eastbound Interstate 70 when he darted across the median and began heading west. Clarett drove over a spike strip that was placed on the highway, flattening the driver's side tires of the SUV, Woods said.

Clarett exited the highway and pulled into a restaurant parking lot, where officers removed him from the SUV after he failed to obey numerous orders to exit the vehicle, Woods said.

After Clarett was placed in a police van, officers discovered a loaded rifle and three loaded handguns in the front of the vehicle, Woods said.

Woods said he did not know where Clarett got the guns or why he had them, and that federal authorities plan to trace their ownership.

Clarett, 22, is currently awaiting trial on two counts of aggravated robbery, four counts of robbery and one count of carrying a concealed weapon in a separate case. Authorities said he was identified by witnesses as the person who flashed a gun and robbed two people in an alley behind the Opium Lounge in the early hours of Jan. 1.

Messages seeking comment were left Wednesday morning for Clarett's attorneys in that case, Nick Mango and Michael Hoague.

2. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Looks like these guys will be busy for quite a while ....

3. Titan "Tack" Fan

Titan "Tack" Fan Hall of Fame

I wonder if he plays "Grand Theft Auto" video game, cause it sounds like he's playing it out in real life.

4. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Think about how different his life would've been if he stayed in school rather than trying to go into the draft.

5. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

WOW, just WOW.

There's not a lot of wiggle room here for the last remaining Clarett supporters. Wearing a bullet-proof vest, loaded weapons in the front seat, trying to do his own re-enactment of a "Cops" car chase sequence (including spike strips)...these things don't bode too well.

I hope he gets himself straightened out while in the slammer, looks like he's destined to spend some time there.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Maurice was merely on his way to Cincy for a tryout. Who wouldn't vest up and pack some artillery if you went to the Bengals camp?

Hervoyel, Porky, Mr. White and 2 others like this.
  7. Chicagotexan1

Chicagotexan1 Hall of Fame

In a van down by the river next to another van dow
    Think about how different his life would've been if he stayed out of trouble and didn't hang with thugs. I take that back, that was not fair. Perhaps Clarrett IS just a low life thug on his own?

8. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Please move this to off topic!! It offends me as an Ohio State and an NFL fan that he keeps making ESPN headlines.

9. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

what a twit.

10. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

What a punk. Hes going to busy for awhile.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

"Officers used Mace to subdue Clarett after a stun gun was ineffective because the former Fiesta Bowl star was wearing a bullet-resistant vest, Sgt. Michael Woods said."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5858558

Wow, 4 guns and a bullet proof vest. Wonder if he was heading to run errands..lol. I guess he was looking for action.:hunter:

12. stx-texans

stx-texans Rookie

what a waste of a talent and a life, hope he can get his life together.

13. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

14. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

LMAO!!!

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Holy mother of all that is holy!! 4 loaded guns and a bullet proof vest and a police chase don't really go together at all. What was he expecting? Was this his way to restart or maybe even end his life? This scrub is freaking nuts!

He's even crazier than francis: :francis:

16. houstonbuckeye

houstonbuckeye Rookie

IT never fails to amaise how dumb this guy is

17. Peldon

Peldon All Pro

I'm suprised the police only found four guns, they must have forgotten to check the trunk.

18. KKHouston

KKHouston Veteran

As much as I don't like his behavior, I can't help but wonder what psychological problems he has. It's sad, really.

19. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

5 Stars. Line of the month! Two thumbs way up. :yahoo:

20. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

If you are going to call someone dumb, at least spell "amazed" correctly. Come on. I'm normally not a "spell check cop" but felt compelled to do so in this case. On Clarett, oh well, my mom always told me a hard head makes a soft ***.