Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Matt Schaub, it's about what you don't do..

Arm strength was not a factor on that play. I can't even imagine why that would be mentioned. Earlier in the game he threw a ball three times as far to Walter into a non-existent window. Heck Gruden was gushing all game long about how Schaub was throwing lasers.

I disagree. Arm strength is the factor when the fundamentals are not present. Favre, Flacco, Rivers, etc. can all put some "umff" on the ball off balance while back pedaling. Schaub can not, his passes hang up and he throws a "floater".

When Schaub set his feet and steps into his throws and he can put some mustard on it or "throw a laser" as you stated. But he needs to set his feet for those types of throws.

I am not knocking the guy, it is what it is. He's got great poise, he's top tier QB in terms of intelligence, he's very accurate and I am glad he's on our team.

I also referenced cutting down on the mental errors as well. Using passing lanes or elevating the ball over the DL is what I was referring to. He threw a pick today on a floater and he had a couple batted down. I stand by my analysis.

So I guess Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers weren't elite last year.

Manning didn't even make it to 2:1.

I think it's fair to say that Manning and Brees weren't elite last year - at least not by the standards they set with their own performance in the past. Brees threw a crapload of picks last year, and Manning was just bad for a decent stretch of games int he middle of the season. That doesn't mean they aren't elite QBs on the whole, but they weren't elite last year. Or if you prefer, they didn't have elite seasons.

I don't even know Rivers' stats from last year, nor did I watch any of his games (except ours, where he looked elite; but so did Tutu guy), so I have no comment on him.

Are you seriously disputing Schaub's severe lack of mobility/escapability?

i'm saying he can make plays with his feet. He is no vick but he can step up in the pocket and elude pressure to make a play. The Redskins and Chiefs game are good examples and he made damn good throws on the move.

Schaub showed a bit of what not to do today. He even got lucky on his TD pass. I'm not dogging him, but I hope next week looks better in the TD:INT ratio.

Schaub showed a bit of what not to do today. He even got lucky on his TD pass. I'm not dogging him, but I hope next week looks better in the TD:INT ratio.

he almost looked complacent out there. Schaub is very accurate i think we will see better things when it is a little closer game.

Schaub is like most NFL QBs that have ever played the game, when he is on, he is Great, when he is off, better hope the running game is working....

i'm saying he can make plays with his feet. He is no vick but he can step up in the pocket and elude pressure to make a play. The Redskins and Chiefs game are good examples and he made damn good throws on the move.

Two games?

Of course he can do it on occasion. Even manning has run for first downs and gotten out of the pocket to make throws.

But the point is that it's not a regular staple or extremely effective part of his game like brees, Rodgers, Vick or even Phillip rivers.

I would be one to agree that schaub was not crisp last night.
With that being said, I do like how the rest of the team played well especially the D. It takes the pressure off of Matt that he doesn't have to put it all on his back. I think with that pressure off of him, we will see better things in the up and comming weeks.

Schaub is a great QB. He just needs to find his tempo and make better reads. That INT in the 3rd Quarter on 3rd and 8 was just a downright awful pass, as far as I could tell there wasn't even a receiver in the vicinity of where that ball was thrown. An equally awful pass cost us the Ravens game last year. Matt's proven that he is the real deal, now he just needs to perform like it consistently. He should get a lot of help from the defense, which now has the ungodly ability to put him on the field.

Schaub is a great QB. He just needs to find his tempo and make better reads. That INT in the 3rd Quarter on 3rd and 8 was just a downright awful pass, as far as I could tell there wasn't even a receiver in the vicinity of where that ball was thrown. An equally awful pass cost us the Ravens game last year. Matt's proven that he is the real deal, now he just needs to perform like it consistently. He should get a lot of help from the defense, which now has the ungodly ability to put him on the field.

First, it was a horrible pass and he never should have thrown it.

Second, it was Slaton running behind the non-moving player (who caught the ball) that Schaub was throwing to.

It never should have left Shaub's hand but if that's the worst thing that happens all game, I'm okay. I think that is the one flaw with Kubs taking the foot of the gas. The team gets a little complacent and they make bad plays such as this one. If the game had been closer I don't think it would have happened and the team would have been more aware of what's going on. I really think that at this point the whole team was sleepwalking through the game.

Hopefully one of the coaches kicks them in the butt about it.

I had alot of mixed emotions on that INT. On one hand, it seems Gary Brackett always makes that exact play everytime we play the Colts, and it just wouldn't have been the same without him doing that (joke...kind of).

I was also thinking "what in the world are we doing throwing it right now?" We had a huge lead and the name of the game at that point was to not turn over the ball. However, I recalled previous games with us and the lead and was glad to see Kubiak staying aggressive for once and keeping the foot on the peddle!

Every time Schaub one step drops it seems the other team bats it up in the air. Maybe that shows up too much on game film or Schaub just doesn't get any air underneath it, but that could use some improvement.

Back