"Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nitrofish, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Nitrofish

Nitrofish Pastafarian

According the Marshall Faulk, Matt Schaub, not Teddy Bridgewater, or anyone else give the Texans the best chance to win in 2014. I know this is a loaded question with some of you, but, agree or disagree and why?

Faulk, one of the most vocal Schaub bashers over the last few seasons, my jaw was agape when I watched the video below.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...t-chance/f78701a1-c544-44f9-b823-9a836bd68240

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm only interested in "According to Bill O'Brien..."

3. Nitrofish

Nitrofish Pastafarian

So for you if O'Brien says Schaub is the guy that gives the Texans the best chance to win 2014, you are ok with that?

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Go home Marshall, you're drunk!!

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Yep.

OB knows more about these things than I do. [IMGwidthsize=45]http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/f/football-3861.gif[/IMG]

Nitrofish likes this.
  6. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IlliniJen likes this.
  7. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'm open to it.

My level of concern over his foot injury is increasing though.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

This.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It's like I've been saying, historically with rookie QBs, you lose while they develop.

The odds of us having a winning season with a rookie QB are slim.

So.

If we want to win now, it means that either:
    1) OB is able to "fix" whatever's wrong with Schaub
    2) OB is able to develop either Keenum or Yates
    3) OB is able to get the rookie QB going extremely quick... which we've seen done a few times recently

In terms of probability, fixing Schaub is probably the best strategy for early wins.

I just don't see that happening.

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

ehh.... we just need to part ways with Schaub..even if it's only to free up the cap space. I'd be fine with letting Yates or Keenum get the early starts while we continue to rebuild...we can't be that much worse than we were this past year so it goes without saying we'll still be seeing some measure of improvement with either of the 2 at the helm.

11. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

12. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Marshall gets the best of weed in Cali!

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If the question is winning, I don't know how OB can answer the question until camp. But from a business stand point I don't see how Schaub can enter camp with a $14M cap number, especially with the season he had last year.

Of course, if we're talking about designating him a June 1st cut, we're not in any hurry to cut him until before the season starts.

But looking at the FA QBs out there; Freeman, Vick, McCown, McCoy..... Schaub's the most successful of the bunch.

Nitrofish likes this.
  14. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

Matt Schaub will never wear a Texan uniform again.

15. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

Basically how I view it. Just too significant of a salary hit to justify a placeholder at the position. Looking at the past salaries of the free agents on the market he would have to take a significant cut to stay with the team when it comes down to the business side of things. I don't think Schaub is as bad as last season and would be an ok guy to have while developing a rookie but not at the cost he presently stands.

16. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Rookie

I'd rather give Josh McCown a 2 year contract and draft Teddy B, then keep Schaub..

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I dunno, maybe Faulk knows what he's talking about, after all sometimes guys lose their stuff then mysteriously rediscover it. Ever hear of Brad Lidge ?

Nitrofish likes this.
  18. Nitrofish

Nitrofish Pastafarian

I think taking a pay cut goes without saying. I think Schaub is realistic enough to accept that if given a chance to stay on for one more year. After the way he was pushed aside, he may not want to stay anyway.

Despite what some think on this board, Schaub is far and away the best QB on the Texans as of now.

19. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Eh, I don't know about best chance to win, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea that the team absolutely must part ways with Schaub and that there are no other options or recourse for him. I do believe that the Texans should not be the highest bidder for Schaub on an open market, but if there are ways to re-work his contract to decrease his cap hit and he's willing to do that then I don't understand why he would have to leave the team if that were the case.

I honestly don't think we should really have it in mind that the Texans are going to compete next year, no matter how many pieces come out in the offseason trying to link the Chiefs resurgence in 2013 with a possible Texans resurgence in 2014. Stuff that talks about what gives the Texans the best chance to win games are already trying to paint a similar picture and I do believe that righting the ship defensively (or a hot rookie QB) could give us just as good of a chance to win games in 2014.

20. Nitrofish

Nitrofish Pastafarian

The thought that any of us armchair GM's think we know better than someone like Marshall Faulk is laughable anyway. Schaub had a bad year. It happens.