Matt Schaub 20K yards passing.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANRED, Nov 5, 2012.

1. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

If Schaub passes for 146 yards this weekend he will have passed for 20K yards for his career. Not to shabby for a guy that didn't get to start until 2007. Eli is at 30K and he has been starting since 04.

It is also looking like he is going to have another 4000 yard season. Hopefully this one counts unlike the 2009 and 2010 season.

2. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Schaub has really been a solid QB. Not flashy or anything but he just seems to get the job done. He'd have to have some really good games to reach 4k (he's on pace for 3.8k). The offense hasn't needed to pass a lot so if things stay the course, he may not have the chance to get there. Either way, I'm glad he's our QB.

/wave Red

3. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Should've fired Schaub when we fired Smithiak. :kitten:

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Schaub isn't flashy or creative, but he's steady and doesn't do a lot of things to hurt the team. He also sells the PA better than any QB in the league. I'll take that over a gunslinger type QB.

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  5. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

thats only like 25 more yards a game. all it will take is a few really close games instead of these blow out and run the ball the entire second half games and he can get to 4500 yards.

6. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

[​IMG]

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  7. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Schaub reminds me of Brady early in his career. People forget that Brady didn't have flashy numbers early on. He was just calm and steady.

Mike

8. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Schaub has shown over and over that if he needs to, he can sling it around with the best of them. The problem with that is that it invites mistakes and turnovers -- tipped balls, misreads, bad throws.

What Kubiak wants, and he's said this from the beginning, is to minimize mistakes and take advantage of the opponent's mistakes. That's part of his strategy for winning. He wants an offense that takes what the defense is giving with a couple of shots thrown in for good measure.

If the defense is giving us the short pass like the Jags did, we take that. If the defense is giving us the long pass like the Broncos did, we take that. We want to get a lead and then pound away with the rock. But if the score gets out of hand, then he'll do whatever it takes and if that includes airing it out, our O can do that, too.

This year, Schaub has been (for the most part) doing exactly what Kubiak wants. He's taking what he's given and making good decisions. That's not the flashiest of football but it's a winning combination.

And remember, Elway didn't win back-to-back Superbowls until the onus of the offense was shifted off of his back and he eased back into more of a game-manager type of role. He could still sling it but they only used that when they had to. That's exactly the role Schaub is filling now.

GlassHalfFull likes this.

9. Atl Cav

Atl Cav Veteran

Good post Pencil. I have always felt this way about Schaub.

10. DaTruthExplodes

DaTruthExplodes Anti-Homer

20k passing and not a single playoff game.

11. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

[​IMG]

Dutchrudder likes this.
  12. DaTruthExplodes

patience in sports? especially the qb position?

he's been a texan qb since 2007. patience expired a long time ago.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

102 posts and not a single one worth the time to read.

14. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Yup. Pretty much dittoville on that.

15. DaTruthExplodes

yet every time i post and every time i make a thread, im always quoted and people always respond and are relegated to name calling instead of challenging my football post.

16. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Totally agree. Look at guys like TJ Yates who have been in TWO playoff games and has less than 1500 passing yards.

17. DaTruthExplodes

what is the point of this post?

18. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Well, you're complaining that Schaub hasn't been to the playoffs yet conveniently overlook the fact that he would've been in the playoffs and probably would've taken us further in the playoffs had he not been injured. So obviously since TJ Yates has played in playoff games then he's a better QB using your logic. So is Sanchez, Tebow, Dalton and a bunch of other crappy QB's throughout NFL history.

Dutchrudder and GlassHalfFull like this.
  19. DaTruthExplodes

i never said that. stop jumping to extreme conclusions to prove me wrong.

the fact of the matter is schaub has been a texans qb since 2007 and he hasnt yet been to a playoff game.

its a reasonable critique. using tj yates, who was a rookie 5th round pick last year in defense of schaub is laughable.

20. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

The play of Schaub last year got us to the playoffs. TJ just had to hold on to the end of the great start of the season. Schaub was a member of the team at that time and as such, has been to a playoff game.

I promise you that TJ and the other members of the 2011 Texans team would consider Schaub a major part of last years playoff run. Even after he got injured, he worked extensively with TJ to get him ready. Would P. Manning or Favre have done that?

Dutchrudder and TheIronDuke like this.