Matt Millen lands yet another plum gig

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...t=Aq8uiOBVDsY2dX.2Vs8v41Y5nYcB?urn=nfl,157534

2. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

I think it's simply amazing that Millen, the architect of the NFL's worst team ever, and Mike Milbury, architect of the two most lopsided deals in NHL history, were both deemed in demand by major sports networks.

Needless to say, when Millen has any analysis, I will turn the channel.

3. Spled

Spled All Pro

In Millen's defense, most everybody had Charles Rogers rated over Andre Johnson when the Lions drafted him and his pick of Roy Williams will benefit the Lions in the upcoming draft. If I remember right, Kiper had Mike Williams rated #1 overall for the draft where the Lions took him. That's not something Kiper puts on the highlight reel.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The best thing that happened to us was that Millen had a pick before Casserly did or the shoe would have been on the other foot.

Millen isn't bad in the booth (that's how he got the Lion's gig) and is a much better talking about the game than he is running a franchise. I know I'm being Mr. Obvious here. :chickendance:

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I want to see that website that makes fun of Emmit just to see what good ol' Emmit's take on this is.

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Matt Millen's drafts looked great in terms of draft grades. He always graded out highly. It was only in retrospect did you see that his picks were horrible and based solely on "analysts" rather than actual scouting. He'll fit in well with the group who think they know what they are talking about

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I agree. I find it funny how so many people blast off on Millen like he can't be a good broadcaster. Being an analyst and broadcaster has nothing to do with being a GM of a football team. I don't think all of Millen's picks were bad at all on the forefront. THey just ended up being that way.

Rogers was a good pick and was a no brainer at the time. Him getting injured right away had nothing to do with Millen. He wasn't the coach. He just drafted a talented WR just like AJ was. And then he drafted Roy Williams who was just like AJ when he was drafted because after Rogers being hut they still needed a target for Harrington. ROy was sort of a bust as well, and hell Harrington was the QB over there who the Texans almost drafted as well.

Millen did a horrible job as a GM no question, but all of his drafts weren't bad draft picks.

The guy was an excellent player for the Raiders and the 49ers and knows the game very well. He'll be fine as a braodcaster.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree. He was decent on camera. His discombobulation of the Lions will definitely hinder the viewers perception of him though.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I disagree. My problem is one of credibility.

It's one thing to hear a blowhard like Kornheiser and know he's just a commentator, but another thing get a take from a guy whose football analytical ability was put to the ultimate test as a GM. Not only did he fail at that he failed epically.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=100095

You're only mentioning first round talent but fail to mention he bombed the rest of each draft. If you're not going to be a player in FA you've got to develop your own talent and each coaching staff HE picked failed. Not to mention how he'd go after players in public like the slur at then one of the better players on his team Johnnie Morton.

Meet the Nfl's version of this guy: [​IMG]

10. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Controversy creates cash right?...

People will watch. That's all they care about.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

And so did Casserly who did real well in Washington for years, and Casserly failed just as bad as Millen did so a successful GM could turn around and have some bad luck with draft picks and do just as bad.

Well Mariiuchi was a good coach in San Fran and wasn't a bad choice in my opinion. It just didn't work out well.

He did that once, and Morton was no longer on the team. Morton was on another team and Morton started up with Millen in the hallway, and Millen responded. He shouldn't have said what he said, but Morton was never that good of a player any way.

If I want to listen to a broadcaster, I want to listen to a guy that speaks well and talks about the game and the different situations in and around the game. All the GM does is make decisions on personel. He drafted some nice talent over in Detroit but none of the coaches did that well with the personell that they had. I like Millen a lot as a broadcaster, but just not as a GM.

The biggest problem the Lions have had under Millen was the same problem tons of teams have had, and it's not having a QB. Harrington stunk it up and so did the WR's that Harrington was able to work with other than Roy Williams who still wasn't what they drafted him to be. THe biggest problem Millen made was not making Detroit a defensive minded team since they had a poor QB. That is about the only way you can win with a bad QB, is to have a good running game and really good defense. Millen kept drafting WR's and offensive players that didn't work out. Calvin Johnson was a great pick for them though.

12. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

People - Casserly has a job as an analyst on Path to the Draft!

I don't see why it's such a surprise that Millen landed a job as a commentator. To be honest, Millen does a damn fine job as a commentator. Always has.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

He was a pretty good player on the 49ers too.

14. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

This year i wouldnt even turn to CBS until right before since that A$$hat Casserly would be on......

I still dont think i've forgiven him for trading up to get Babin.......

:pirate:

15. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Same here, but he did give us a going-away-forever-present...OD, Mario, DeMeco.

16. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Charley Casserly and Matt Milen should call a game together. :shades:

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

Millen would have easily become John Madden's replacement, but now with the mess he left in Detroit...it's going to be an uphill battle to overcome public perception of his previous failures.

Madden had success before becoming a broadcaster, which gave him credibility behind the microphone and camera.

I'll tell you who I think could take over Madden's spot: Mike Golic. He has credibility as a player, and has a great sense of humor. He isn't afraid to laugh at himself, and he's good at keeping things simple and to the point. Collinsworth just goes on and on and on and on, lecturing and laboring a point to death.

But Golic? He's got the goods, IMO.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

all that stuff about how you need to be a good football player or Coach or GM to be a good commentator is wacky logic at best. I could use a billion and a half examples but using familiar names off the top of my head Mooch was not a great HC but he is a hell of a good commentator, Andre Ware was a lousy NFL QB but he really does a fine job with his Texans color. Spencer Tillman was no better than a journeyman but he went on to a long career in TV as did Gifford Neilson. I could go on and on and I could probably mention that some of the best TV or radio analysts/play by play/color commentators have never even played the game or coached the game at it's very highest levels.

19. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

If Casserly shouldn't get credit for picking Mario Williams(which he shouldn't) I can't credit Matt Millen for making a no brainer pick in Calvin Johnson.

I guess we disagree. He might be a good broadcaster I just don't see how much credibility I can find in a guy who had the worst GM record over his tenure in the history of the NFL and whose team earned the distinction of the first 0-16 record as well. I would think his best credibility would be doing broadcast games of the Lions and explaining to people why the team sucks so much.

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

I'm talking about filling the void left by Madden (I probably should have worded my previous post a bit better). Continuing his legacy. I know the guy's not God or anything...but he was in a league all by himself. There were times when I know I was a lot less interested in the game on the field than I was in how John was going to phrase something, or analyze what he saw on the filed, or tell a story.

Obviously, not every "good" commentator is a former player or coach. But I think Golic is a guy similar to John: He has funny things to say, he's able to laugh at himself, pretty down-to-earth, a guy's guy, etc.