Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Matt Leinhart

Blake

MMQB
Dont have a link for it, but heard it on Cold Pizza this morning.

If you find a source please help me out.

Should be today around 5-6pm.

I predict Matt Lienart will stay at USC for another year. He is a king at USC, and that power is more fun than being a rookie QB, even with millions. Even if he has an average season he will still be a first round pick.

If he does stay, I will be shocked. All he has to risk is injury. Hes got the Heisman, hes got the championships, hes got the top 10 grade. What he doesnt have? Millions of dollars. An NFL contract. Endorsments. A mansion.

I just think he needs to move on as well. Hes done basically everything he can in college ball.

Here is some banter from some NFL scouts. As usual, opinions vary, but some are not real high on Leinart apparently.
“Alex Smith can really run. Not just average. He can run. He had a 55-yard run. I thought he handed the ball off on one tape. I had to rewind it, and it was Smith. He’s going to test out of this world. Right now, he’s 6-3½, but he has to grow into the body. He has the build to be 225 or more. And that’s fine.”

One general manager who has seen each junior play said Rodgers could be the first pick in the draft. Size — he might measure under 6-foot-2 — could be a liability to evaluators.

“If you rate them as athletes, it goes Smith, Rodgers and Leinart,” he said. “Mentally, rate them Leinart, Rodgers and Smith. That’s kind of a readiness-to-play scale too. We don’t doubt (Smith) will be the best 3-4 years down the road.

“Hands down, Leinart was the best-prepared by his college experience.”

The college scouting director concurred, and said teams who criticize Smith’s arm strength might not be studying him closely enough.

“The thing with (Cal coach Jeff) Tedford, he has those guys so programmed to the system that they look like they always make the right decisions. But if you break down the tape, that’s the only read they have. You know what I mean? The same was true of Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington.

“You know Leinart can read the field. That was a pro-style offense.

“Alex is up in the air. The offense they run was a lot of misdirection, option stuff. What we loved about Alex is this: If you watch him every week, especially in warm-ups, he carries himself like an NFL quarterback. People are wrong on the arm — he has the arm of an NFL quarterback, throws like an NFL quarterback. You don’t see it on tape, but that’s the offense. Once he works out for people, in-person routine, he’s a slam-dunk.

“Rodgers has the best arm of the three. I’d say Smith is two, Leinart is three. I’m not knocking Leinart for that. He likes to step into it; he’s good enough for the league. But he throws a touch pass too much, likes to drop in on the target. That makes you believe he might not have the strength, but he does.”

One scout who said he has seen Leinart play more than 10 times believes Leinart’s long, exaggerated release will keep him out of the first half of the first round.

“It doesn’t get out fast enough, not for a West Coast offense,” he said. “The three-step-and-out is a problem. Can you fix that? I think so, but he’s had it forever.”

That rap wasn’t a consensus, however.

“The kid is tougher than (nails),” said another college scouting director. “He takes some serious shots. More than the other two, I can say with confidence that he’ll hold up.”

Ah yes, confidence. The QB evaluation game isn’t foolproof. The human element disqualifies science from the equation, and the bottom line is, the only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain.

“These guys are hard to figure out, as you know,” one scout said. “The best grade I ever gave a quarterback was Ryan Leaf, the Washington State kid. That was the best grade. I saw him play live five times. I couldn’t find anything wrong with him.”
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2004/reynolds011005.htm

What decision ? Its a no brainer. What else can he do in college- well lets
see, maybe he can go back to USC and blow out a knee out this fall. Hey, he's won the Heisman, USC is national champ, and his brand is as hot as it will
ever be. Just do it ! Take the money and run fool !

He has delayed his decision until tomorrow. It will be announced live on ESPNEWS at 4:30 our time, so I am guessing will all of this hoppla he will go the NFL and end up with the not-so-amazing 49ers.

I can't imagine him arranging all of this just to say, "yep I'm gonna stay at USC and try to win a national championship".

But you gotta love this kid..........he wants to stay and enjoy college and not go after the money. Then again he may be trying to aviod the 49ers..........

i don't know what he is going to do. he can make millions but i think that he just loves USC. he is the man and it is almost a given that he can win another heisman and national title.

pardon my language but Lienart's got to be up to his eyeballs in women, he has to run the school, and have a chance to go down as one of College footballs best QBs ever.

even if he had a cataclismic injury he would still be drafted cause some team would take a flyer on him. The money will be there next year, but he will never have the chance to play college football again.

IMO, you go to college in order to be better prepared to make a living (some do it for altruistic reasons, but generaly your there for earnings capacity). If you have a MAJOR boat load of bucks available you take it and protect your living. That's why your there. Screw the "RAH RAH become a majore legend" stuff, because if you get hurt, not one of those people will put up the bucks you will miss out on. Yes, someone will still pick him, but the money will be SOOOOO much less he will never be able to make it up.

USC QB Matt Lienart has decided to return to USC for his senior season....looks like he was trying to avoid the 49ers after all.

I'm not really that surprised. I heard him say on an interview after the championship game that he'd be really hard for him to leave early and he thinks about what they've got rolling at USC. Can't blame him. The money will be there next year too.

Matt Leinhart is staying at USC, and I love his decision. He wants to complete his college courses and get a socielogy degree or something like that, and he doesn't want to leave his school and his team, say the money can wait and that he doesn't want. Thats a class guy right there. I predict they win the National Title with Leinhart at QB (I think they would have even without Leinhart at QB) and Leinhart will be once again in New York, but will have to compete with Vince Young, Reggie McNeal, and that new speed demon at The Ohio State.

If the 49ers take Aaron Rodgers because they feel they still need to grab their franchise QB with the first overall this year, I'll LMAO.

Gotta be one of the more surprising and ill advised decisions from a college
player re coming out early to the NFL before using all of his eligiibility we've seen in recent years.
If he wanted to stay in to get his degree - with the signing bonus he could have got, he could buy libraries, buy whole universities to lounge around in & behave in a scholarly fashion. Seriously, he's got the rest of his life to get a degree(s).
Maybe he wants to go back to college this year to win the Heisman Trophy or lead his team to the Natiuonal Championship - oh that's right, he did that this year - he did both of those things.
Something about he didn't want to play for SF or another franchise ? The way
the NFL is these days, when a team has only a handful of wins, they can just as easily turn around and go deep into the playoffs the next year.
He and/or his team could performance poorly next year; worst of all he could suffer a severe injury.
I don't get it ?

I think it is so refreshing to see a player stay in school. Yes he would of been the first overall pick, but who cares. He will be drafted in the first round next year no matter what. So often people complain about kids leaving school when they are not ready. I heard he could graduate this semester but he would have to take 18 credits to get it done. Let the boy enjoy his college life and have fun while he still can. In some cases I think it is ok to jump to the pro level at different sports (Lebron James reference). I do believe he was ready to play at the pro level but if he wants to stay good for him!

QUESTION- What would you have done in his situation?

I would do the same thing, be around all my friends for a year and try to make college football history, while still earning my degree.

This MAY work out fine, but if it blows up on him, he will be kicking himself in the backside for the rest of his life. I wish him well, but it is a TOTALY uneccessary roll of the dice in lifes play.

leinhart made the right decision for himself...granted he just lost the number one overall pick in the draft but hey whatever makes him happy right

edo783 said:
This MAY work out fine, but if it blows up on him, he will be kicking himself in the backside for the rest of his life. I wish him well, but it is a TOTALY uneccessary roll of the dice in lifes play.

From watching ESPN yesterday, Leinart has bought an insurance policy that pays him a great deal of money should he suffer a career ending injury while stll in college.

For those people who think that Matt is trying to avoid being taken by San Francisco, it could very well be that the Forty Niners have the first overall pick in the 2006 draft as well. :rofl:

The insurance policy that Leinart has..........well everybody has. But you only get any money out of it if you do have a career ending injury, and how often does that happen.

Somebody ask whats left to be accomplished at USC for him, heck he won the Heisman and a National Championship TWICE.............he wants to win another one its that simple. Nobody has ever won 3 straight National Championships.........and USC has a very good chance to do it and Leinart wants to be the guy to lead the Trojans doing it. Remember with the AP poll out of the BCS, even if USC losses a game they can still get the AP National Championship. Leinart wants the legacy of being the best QB ever in college, and with the people he was around him on offense, most of them.....infact I think all but 1 returning.........its scary.

I like what Dan7 said that if he is avioding the 49ers they might have the #1 pick again next year........thats very true and funny. The 49ers have no will to win right now, and Leinart may never be a winner if he is in the 49ers organization.

I respect Lineart's decision, and it DOES show a lot of class.

What it doesn't show is wisdom.....If I was Matt's coach/mom/etc., I would've asked him to have a conversation with Willis McGahee before he made the call. McGahee could've told him about those insurance policies - They 1) Pay nowhere near what his signing bonus alone would've been. 2) Only pay after Lineart is declared out for 2+ years. 3) If Lineart got injured and re-habbed and returned in say...3 years, he might have to repay the policy. (These details were all present in McGahee's case)

I don't think he had anything left to prove, and there really isn't much upside (if any) to him staying at USC. I equate it to the comments after GB was eliminated in the playoff regarding Favre's future in the NFL...."It's a lot easier to go out on top!"

Back