Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mathis

Oilers/Texans said:
Is Mathis going to get rid of that ugly #13 and pick up 82 or 89??

I'm glad you brought this up.

I was under the impression that WR could only take a 10-19 number if all the 80's were taken. Since, as you say, 82 and 89 are open, surely Mathis has no choice but to change to one of these?

Paul31 said:
I'm glad you brought this up.

I was under the impression that WR could only take a 10-19 number if all the 80's were taken. Since, as you say, 82 and 89 are open, surely Mathis has no choice but to change to one of these?

I believe they can request a number from the NFL if they wish.

WildBlackBear32 said:
I believe they can request a number from the NFL if they wish.

What number did Mathis wear in college?

Anyway, I am assuming Mathis had to take #13, because Miller and Swinton had #82 and #89 locked up, until they were cut.

i believe 2 years ago the NFL changed the rule that WRs can wear 10-19 if they wish, even if a number in the 80s is available

#3 was his college number yes. And the rule "was" changed 2 years ago that they can wear 10-19 even with numbers in the 80's available.

It would be hard to have all the numbers in the 80's taken. A team would have to have 10 WR/TE's on thier roster.

RTP2110 said:
It would be hard to have all the numbers in the 80's taken. A team would have to have 10 WR/TE's on thier roster.

Not if you take IR, PUP and PS into consideration.

Texas said:
#3 was his college number yes. And the rule "was" changed 2 years ago that they can wear 10-19 even with numbers in the 80's available.
Doesn't randy moss have a jersey with a teen number on it?

sprtsfanatic said:
Yeah I believe his number is 18...can someone shed some light on this...or was that just a preseason thing??

No that is his number and would have been his number when he came into the NFL(because he wanted the number and didn't want to be like every other WR out there) but he would have been suspended by the NFL because some of some rule stating that recievers numbers have to be in the 80's. That rule has been changed in the last 2 years.

What you should be more concerned about is his hammy since he had to leave practice again yesterday (because of tightness). I hope this doesn't become a chronic thing with him. This is the second time in a month.

aj. said:
What you should be more concerned about is his hammy since he had to leave practice again yesterday (because of tightness). I hope this doesn't become a chronic thing with him. This is the second time in a month.
Is PB the only player besides Mathis we've got for kick-off/punt returns? If
so, we're gonna be real thin there in the event Mathis is injured. I don't even
like the idea in the first place of a starting CB who came at a pretty high price to us being used in this capacity.

sprtsfanatic said:
Yeah I believe his number is 18...can someone shed some light on this...or was that just a preseason thing??

It is. They made the rule about players can have a 10-19 or 80 - 89 number last year so about half the rookies ot number 11 (Boldin, Roy, Reggie Williams, Jenkins). Burress also changes his number to 17 upon moving to the Giants. I guess the 80's arent cool anymore . . .

nunusguy said:
Is PB the only player besides Mathis we've got for kick-off/punt returns? If
so, we're gonna be real thin there in the event Mathis is injured. I don't even
like the idea in the first place of a starting CB who came at a pretty high price to us being used in this capacity.

Hollings can be used on kickoff returns and Gaffney on punt returns in emergency situations.

aj. said:
i think he'll be okay. those things take time to heal. for a while, they will be sore and tight after everytime he plays. it should go away after a while.

aj. said:
Hollings can be used on kickoff returns and Gaffney on punt returns in emergency situations.

Might as well put Chester Pitts or Gary Walker back to return kicks.

Anyone remember watching Gaffney try to catch punts last year???

Back