Mathis to Practice

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Nov 14, 2006.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

:francis:
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4332685.html

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, we definetly have the roster space for him. We could definetly use a spark plug on special teams as well. :fireball:

3. TxAg

TxAg Rookie

I hope he can play soon that dude is BAD**** he can run I got a chance to see him run a kickoff back for a touchdown live and that was awsome!!!

4. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Yeah, we did to. It was a game last year against Indy, IIRC. I have a picture that I took of the jumbo-tron that shows his name and the yardage of the kickoff return. I don't see him coming back to play this year though....just a gut feeling.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I hope your gut is wrong :)

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Huh?

He is inexpensive. And he is extraordinarily fast when healthy. He was the only thing worth watching in 2005. It is not easy to do the stuff he did last year.

ST coach had been looking for his returner with speed and got him.

Kubiak said before the season that he wanted him to work on his wide receiver skills, that he would be helpful in being another weapon on offense.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Why in the world would you cut a very cheap as in league minimum pro-bowl player? As for JUST being a kick returner--maybe, maybe not. I'd like to see a staff who actually has players improve under their watch take a stab at teaching him the WR position rather than folks who kept thinking Bradford was a peachy option to keep trotting out on the field.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

So I guess you dont have any hobbies or interest out side of your work.

9. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Even though I agree that he was foolish for riding on the cycle, I can't help but disagree. He was a late round pick and he required a minimal contract. As of right now there is no reason to let him go.

Besides.... if we let Mathis go, it would make my screen name kindof obsolete.

:crying:

10. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

No excuse for riding a motorcycle, or for his behavior/attitude.

That being said.. im all for bringing him back and see if he can overcome his past mistakes.

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Then the Steelers should have cut Roethlisberger and the Browns should have cut Winslow. Cmon.

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

its a very small lie.. and one that his team is backing up.. which leads me to believe that they are just trying to spare him and the team some negative press.

That is assuming that you are correct and it was an injury from the Motorcycle accident.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That's correct. Nobody truely knows how the injury occured. People making assumptions on his personality and behavior without substantial proof, leads to rumors.

I'm all for him coming back.

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

well it is pretty much a fact that Mathis has been difficult to coach, and feels that he doesnt need to learn any more about how to be a pro WR.

His attitude isnt (or wasnt) where it needs to be.

15. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

Very well said Grid...nice post! I certainly don't "know" that he hurt himself in the pro bowl but he did have a return that I remember seeing where he could have hurt his foot because that is where he took the hit that brought him down (inside the 15 or 10 yard line btw as I remember).

16. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I want to see Mathis worked in as a WR as well.

Hope he makes it back this year.

FYI and FWIW I had heard that the motorcycle wreck did cause the foot issue that has kept him out thus far. Supposedly this injury was incurred at the Pro Bowl last year.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Everyone should heed the advice of our member Gary Kubiak and never use an unfortunate mistake as a coaching opportunity. We all know, no matter what business we are in, that it is easy to find talent and even more cost effective to fire someone and retrain a replacement. :rolleyes:

18. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

You know this how? Not being rude here, just curious. If it's your opinion, then so be it. I would just like to know if there is an instance where this was proven that he was difficult to coach.

19. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I don't know whether he is a liar or not, but you sir, are engaged in rank fabrication, speculation and pullage of things out of your rear end.

I've pointed this out to you in the past, but here is a blog entry I did about the injury:

Link

In that entry, I put a medical article about the condition he had surgery for. You can read it here.

In sum, that type of foot fracture is common in elite athletes, especially track athletes, is difficult to diagnose, and doesn't really show itself unless you are engaged in running or jumping.

It's typically an overuse type of injury, not a traumatic injury.

So, yeah, Jerome Mathis made a mistake riding a motorcycle and crashing. But to claim that his foot got broken because of it, is just making stuff up, flies in the face of all public information provided about the injury, and isn't particularly consistent with the type of injury he has.

infantrycak, edo783 and Errant Hothy like this.
  20. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Could it be he had a small fracture in his foot and then when he crashed his cycle he roke it completely? That would still mean the foot injury happened on the fileld for the most part. It would also mean you were wrong about calling him a liar. If you call him a liar you are also calling anyone who defends him a liar as well.