Mathis to be activated

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by FirstTexansFan, Nov 27, 2006.

1. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

In the live webcast of Kubiak, he stated that he is leaning towards activating Mathis for the next game. He also said, he didn't want any excuses, that he expected Mathis to be a receiver as well as a kick/punt returner.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  2. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

Great news!! I hope he regains his pro bowl form quickly we need all the help we can get right now.

3. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

:yahoo: :yahoo: :flowers: Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

It's about time and I hope Mathis has grown up some during his journey from Pro Bowler to "ain't doing a damned thing on Sunday"

5. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

WOOHOO !! We need it brother. If we return a kickoff past the 35 yard line I may **** my pants.

6. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

If nothing else...I hope that Mathis' speed can put a spark in our passing game and at least open up the intermediate routes, if not the long ones.

I hope that Kubiak will open up a little more of the playbook, because it seems like he's kept a tight rein on anything but the short, quick ones. I know we're using a West Coast system...but you have to throw it deep and take a chance at least twice as much as we have.

7. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Kubes said on his radio show that he doesn't think Mathis is 100%, although the x-rays came back fine. He expects him to be on the field as a receiver as well as returning kicks. He said it's time he gets on the field so "I can make a good evaluation of him".

8. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Dexter Wynn hasnt been doing a bad job, he just doesnt have that extra gear to get past the last defenders that Mathis has.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I agree, Wynn has been alright but for some reason whenever Mathis gets going at what we think is full speed, he is able to kick it into another gear.

10. ensign_lee

ensign_lee Site Contributor

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Kubes made an interesting and I suspect a somewhat telling statement in the news conference. He refered to Mathis's statement that he had done all he could do and now it's up to the coaches. Gary said "I think it's still up to him". Mmmm, anyone think Kubes might not like the kids attitude? He also made it very clear that Mathis can not/will not be just a KR. He HAS to contribute as WR. Remember the film from the ProBowl when they were doing the passing drills....Mathis isn't anywhere near a naturall as a WR. Might be another reason Kubes seems less than thrilled with him.

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

He shouldnt have any excuses he's had longer than anyone to sit around and learn the system without performing.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

This is awsome news. Maybe he can get involed in the passing game early, give both the special teams and offense a spark.

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Great news. Now I have something to look forward to.

15. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I think that this means it's ******* or get off the pot time for Mathis. If he doesn't produce on Sunday, it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone on Monday. Doesn't seem like Kubes has a lot of patience for him.

16. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

From the presser, it seemed like Kubiak was on the receivers and backs for not making plays (as well as Carr obviously). Its nice to see that he expects the very best even when his receiver is one of best statistically in the league.

17. Marcus

Kubiak said he told Mathis, "Jerome, I'm activating you. I want no excuses. I want you in as a wide receiver as well as returning kicks."

EDO, I agree with you regarding how Kubes feels about Mathis.

18. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I'm so excited!!! My name actually means something again!!

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this idea that Mathis has to be a good receiver to stay on this team. The guy was the best kick returner in the NFL last year and this team could really use ANYBODY who's the best at what they do, no matter what position it is. Why should I care if Mathis isn't quite as good a receiver as some other team's #4 receiver, who never sees the field on offense anyway? The only question in my mind is how healthy is Mathis really and when (and if) he can start producing as a kick returner, like he did last year, again.

20. Marcus

I would say it has a lot to do with how Kubiak feels about Jerome. I can't get away from the feeling that Mathis is in Kube's doghouse for whatever reason. He said he wants him out on the field both as a returner and wide receiver, so that he can evaluate him. To me, that makes sense, as that evaluation will play a big role in decisions he makes in the off season regarding the receiver position.