Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mathis needs more action as a WR

LBC_Justin

Rookie
How many catches does Mathis have this season?
three?!

How many touchdowns does he have?
three. One as a WR, two as a KR.

Ok so we know this guys has play making skills, lets see them.

Also, I would like to see some of our other young guys get some action. Heck I like David Carr and think he is "our guy", but for grins I would like to see how well Ragone does against a first team defense.

He disappeared from the offense as soon as he caught that touchdown pass. The logic escapes me.

With those legs, Mathis could be a touchdown machine at WR. They need to get him some playing time.

I am sure the reasoning is that "he doesn't run good routes yet".

So what? Send him in a straight pattern deep. Thats all he needs to do. Worked against the Browns.

Well let him get some freaking practice running routes in a game so he can learn how to improve them. Of course why would capers want to HELP the next coach.

I think everyone knows he needs more run at WR. The problem is his injury status makes it difficult to use him that often. Capers stated after the game Mathis caught the touchdown that he could see him bringing the same type of game Bradford brings and more. The problem with that is he was injured the next week. Everyone talking about Reggie Bush should notice that we have Jerome Mathis who is faster, already a WR, and cost about 40million less.

cadahnic said:
Everyone talking about Reggie Bush should notice that we have Jerome Mathis who is faster, already a WR, and cost about 40million less.

But Mathis has no spin move whatsoever.

cadahnic said:
I think everyone knows he needs more run at WR. The problem is his injury status makes it difficult to use him that often. Capers stated after the game Mathis caught the touchdown that he could see him bringing the same type of game Bradford brings and more. The problem with that is he was injured the next week. Everyone talking about Reggie Bush should notice that we have Jerome Mathis who is faster, already a WR, and cost about 40million less.

we dont know if hes faster than bush... its certainly debateable going off of game tape, we'll have to see what bush runs at the combine.

Mathis is the fastest recorded time at the combine with a 4.26 I will bet you money right now that Bush does not run that.

cadahnic said:
Mathis is the fastest recorded time at the combine with a 4.26 I will bet you money right now that Bush does not run that.

he was the fastest last year... and i think it was 4.28, and i never heard of it being the fastest ever.

not to mention i wasnt talking just about 40. shuttle and cone also matter

stevo3883 said:
we dont know if hes faster than bush... its certainly debateable going off of game tape, we'll have to see what bush runs at the combine.
Mathis has "World Class Sprinter" speed. The kind that gets you into the Olympics for Team USA. Bush has a different type of speed, he is quick in a shorter distance, makes good cuts, and direction changes.

Obviously they are both very very fast. But Mathis is the fastest guy in the NFL. Like Mathis said, he is the fastest guy in the NFL and if someone disagrees he would be happy to prove them wrong in a race.

But alas...Mathis isn't a threat if we don't throw him the ball. I think every single game we should at least take one or two shots at bombing him the ball. If nothing else the threat will be there and it will be in the back of the mind of the opposing teams secondary.

Mathis would beat anyone in the NFL in a 200 meter race. He was a Quarter finalist for the Olympics but a Hamstring injury forced him not to qualify. He qualified wiht a 20.77 I think. That time compares with most of the other top performers (who train all year round with Nike etc. while Jerome was playing football). Capers has no idea how much damage this guy can do at the WR spot. With a play action he is deadly believe me.....Just revisit the clips from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=4&dl=nfl Check the ones out where he had to "wait for the ball" then accelerate to full speed again. Imagine what he can do with a NFL QB....

LBC_Justin said:
Mathis has "World Class Sprinter" speed. The kind that gets you into the Olympics for Team USA. Bush has a different type of speed, he is quick in a shorter distance, makes good cuts, and direction changes.

Obviously they are both very very fast. But Mathis is the fastest guy in the NFL. Like Mathis said, he is the fastest guy in the NFL and if someone disagrees he would be happy to prove them wrong in a race.

But alas...Mathis isn't a threat if we don't throw him the ball. I think every single game we should at least take one or two shots at bombing him the ball. If nothing else the threat will be there and it will be in the back of the mind of the opposing teams secondary.

id like to see him, michael bennett, and moss go at it.

it might take a few years for all 3 of them to not be injured at the same time though :sleep:

why does it come up with a green screen in the video. I cant see the video. I was already starting to drool:drool:,and then just disappointment. :crying:

someone has to understand a computer!

Does anyone recall Walter Payton's/Barry Sander's/Eric Dickerson's 40 time? While I agree Mathis is a stud and should get more looks at WR (when healthy), I think you are off-the-mark when trying to argue that Mathis' speed alone makes him as (potentially as) valuable as Bush. Football players need much more than speed to be successful (see J.J. Moses).

However, just think about Johnson, Mathis, Bush and Davis all on the field at the same time! Try sending your best corner to Johnson, your second to Mathis - and having to go cover 2, etc. so you have safety protection with each (or leaving them in single coverage). Then you have the potential of a nickel back or a linebacker trying to cover Bush and a nice wide field for DD to roll through.

Can't a PSL holder dream....:drool:

houstonhurricane said:
Does anyone recall Walter Payton's/Barry Sander's/Eric Dickerson's 40 time? While I agree Mathis is a stud and should get more looks at WR (when healthy), I think you are off-the-mark when trying to argue that Mathis' speed alone makes him as (potentially as) valuable as Bush. Football players need much more than speed to be successful (see J.J. Moses).

However, just think about Johnson, Mathis, Bush and Davis all on the field at the same time! Try sending your best corner to Johnson, your second to Mathis - and having to go cover 2, etc. so you have safety protection with each (or leaving them in single coverage). Then you have the potential of a nickel back or a linebacker trying to cover Bush and a nice wide field for DD to roll through.

Can't a PSL holder dream....:drool:

well, if all of this can happen in under 2 seconds every play, consistently, im down for it.

cadahnic said:
I think everyone knows he needs more run at WR. The problem is his injury status makes it difficult to use him that often. Capers stated after the game Mathis caught the touchdown that he could see him bringing the same type of game Bradford brings and more. The problem with that is he was injured the next week.

Exactly.

I've heard a Texans assistant coach say that they want to work him more at WR but they don't want to injure him again. They were saying it is hard for guys to get used to the increased reps and getting hit. So they are increasing his workload slowly. It is not that they have anything against him or that they are so enamoured of the guys who are playing--they want to get him on the field but they don't want him being hamstrung guy.

You might not like everything the coaching staff is doing, but they are not oblivious to Jerome's abilities.

Ive also heard from a reliable source that mr. mathis has the worst hands out of all of the WR, including bradford, and that he doesnt care to practice as a WR in practice. supposedly he is quite content as a KR and thats what he wants to do. I also have heard he goes out and parties every night of the week. sounds to me like he has not dedicated himself to wanting to improve his skills.

He's a rookie getting acquainted with his new found riches. Hopefully he'll get some good coaching in there next year to bring him around. Clearly this team is in the wilderness w/o a compass at this point.

Cincinnatikid said:
Ive also heard from a reliable source that mr. mathis has the worst hands out of all of the WR, including bradford, and that he doesnt care to practice as a WR in practice. supposedly he is quite content as a KR and thats what he wants to do. I also have heard he goes out and parties every night of the week. sounds to me like he has not dedicated himself to wanting to improve his skills.

and what reliable source would this be?

Cincinnatikid said:

I've heard quite the opposite, actually.

According to the Houston Chronicle Mathis should see more time at WR this week .

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3513446.html

Another young guy might get more looks this week. Rookie Jerome Mathis has taken more repetitions at wide receiver than he has through much of the season.

"I think he's the healthiest he's been now, and obviously we've wanted to work with him more at receiver for the last few weeks, but we've just been limited because of the injury situation," Texans coach Dom Capers said.

Used primarily as a kickoff and punt returner, Mathis has missed numerous practices and four games with injuries.

Cincinnatikid said:
Ive also heard from a reliable source that mr. mathis has the worst hands out of all of the WR

If that statement were true he wouldnt be returning kicks or punts .... especially for a conservitave coach like Capers

MorKnolle said:
and what reliable source would this be?

its someone that knows what they are talking about. and in terms of hands, its easier to catch a kickoff that floats down to you while you stand still than it is to make running catches. I dont know if you all ever saw coverage on espn about being able to catch having to do with focusing your eyes so they dont bounce around as you are running. It makes it much easier to catch when you are standing still. Also, he doesnt have any moves other than speed, ive yet to really see any lateral greatness, only vertical

bigTEXan8 said:
. By the way, Sean "The Steak" Salsbury just said we aren't the worst team, that the Jets are the worst team. .

I dont put much stock into what Salsbury has to say ....In fact I find him to be one of the WORST comentators on ESPN ... I seldom like what he has to say nor how he says it .... ESPN get a new QB !

Speaking of QB's .... Thats where the Jets are lacking with Pennington being out for the season .... Aside from the QB position they are probably better than the Texans .... Their O-lines are about equal

corrosion said:
I dont put much stock into what Salsbury has to say ....In fact I find him to be one of the WORST comentators on ESPN ... I seldom like what he has to say nor how he says it .... ESPN get a new QB !

Speaking of QB's .... Thats where the Jets are lacking with Pennington being out for the season .... Aside from the QB position they are probably better than the Texans .... Their O-lines are about equal

The Jets have a better O-line than that of the Texans, when healthy. Mawae is an All-Pro center and Scott Gragg, their right tackle, is better than Wade. I don't know much about Adrian Jones, their LT, but he wasn't rated too highly coming out of college. I'm pretty sure they had someone else starting there earlier this year (I know they did last year), but not sure what happened. They've had some injury problems. Their guards are young, but so are ours.

bigTEXan8 said:
By the way, Sean "The Steak" Salsbury just said we aren't the worst team, that the Jets are the worst team.
Just one persons opinion, and of little consequence. What is of major
consequences though is whether or not we end up with the worst record
this year.

rmartin65 said:
I agree, Mathis needs a lot of time at WR, maybe at the slot.

I would love to see him line up at the slot.

Here's an idea...have Carr call an audible at the line and throw it to Mathis. You know he will be wide open, the whole world has to know that we only change to run plays at the line. Usually DD off the left side.

Mathis anywhere on the field is a GOOD thing.

:texflag:

Cincikid I think your intel is a little off. Mathis does not have the best hands on the team, but he is in the top 3. He might have better hands than even AJ.

The point is, nobody really knows how good his hands are because he's hardly played WR this year. There's nothing to lose at this point, maybe they should have him opposite AJ all the time, or in the slot as I mentioned earlier. We will not make the playoffs this year, so instead of playing the people that lost 11 games, they should try some new things.

We'll see him at WR in time. I think Mathis has just a lot more to learn. He hasn't shown he can run routes, and his hands have been questionable. He needs time. And injuries haven't helped that cause either.

He is just a rookie right now, and it has shown, especially at WR.

jerek said:
That's cute. I don't know who your reliable source is, but mine says that he has the hands and the willingness to learn and do whatever he can do for the team. That you could point to Mathis' performances this year those rare times he has played WR, and then say he has worse hands than Bradford ... I'd say your source better be Capers himself, because obviously he is the one making the decisions around these parts. I buy the injuries/healthy argument, but not for one second do I buy the pile of flaming dog dung you are shoveling at the moment.

you beat me to this, but always nice to hear another voice of reason and common sense.

Back