Mathis needs more action as a WR

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by LBC_Justin, Dec 8, 2005.

1. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

How many catches does Mathis have this season?
    three?!

How many touchdowns does he have?
    three. One as a WR, two as a KR.

Ok so we know this guys has play making skills, lets see them.

Also, I would like to see some of our other young guys get some action. Heck I like David Carr and think he is "our guy", but for grins I would like to see how well Ragone does against a first team defense.

2. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

He disappeared from the offense as soon as he caught that touchdown pass. The logic escapes me.

With those legs, Mathis could be a touchdown machine at WR. They need to get him some playing time.

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

It's called Capers logic.

4. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I am sure the reasoning is that "he doesn't run good routes yet".

So what? Send him in a straight pattern deep. Thats all he needs to do. Worked against the Browns.

5. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Well let him get some freaking practice running routes in a game so he can learn how to improve them. Of course why would capers want to HELP the next coach.

6. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I agree, Mathis needs a lot of time at WR, maybe at the slot.

7. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

I think everyone knows he needs more run at WR. The problem is his injury status makes it difficult to use him that often. Capers stated after the game Mathis caught the touchdown that he could see him bringing the same type of game Bradford brings and more. The problem with that is he was injured the next week. Everyone talking about Reggie Bush should notice that we have Jerome Mathis who is faster, already a WR, and cost about 40million less.

8. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

But Mathis has no spin move whatsoever.

9. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

we dont know if hes faster than bush... its certainly debateable going off of game tape, we'll have to see what bush runs at the combine.

10. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Mathis is the fastest recorded time at the combine with a 4.26 I will bet you money right now that Bush does not run that.

11. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

he was the fastest last year... and i think it was 4.28, and i never heard of it being the fastest ever.

not to mention i wasnt talking just about 40. shuttle and cone also matter

12. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

Mathis has "World Class Sprinter" speed. The kind that gets you into the Olympics for Team USA. Bush has a different type of speed, he is quick in a shorter distance, makes good cuts, and direction changes.

Obviously they are both very very fast. But Mathis is the fastest guy in the NFL. Like Mathis said, he is the fastest guy in the NFL and if someone disagrees he would be happy to prove them wrong in a race.

But alas...Mathis isn't a threat if we don't throw him the ball. I think every single game we should at least take one or two shots at bombing him the ball. If nothing else the threat will be there and it will be in the back of the mind of the opposing teams secondary.

13. NYSigma

NYSigma Rookie

Mathis would beat anyone in the NFL in a 200 meter race. He was a Quarter finalist for the Olympics but a Hamstring injury forced him not to qualify. He qualified wiht a 20.77 I think. That time compares with most of the other top performers (who train all year round with Nike etc. while Jerome was playing football). Capers has no idea how much damage this guy can do at the WR spot. With a play action he is deadly believe me.....Just revisit the clips from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=4&dl=nfl Check the ones out where he had to "wait for the ball" then accelerate to full speed again. Imagine what he can do with a NFL QB....

14. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

id like to see him, michael bennett, and moss go at it.

it might take a few years for all 3 of them to not be injured at the same time though :sleep:

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

why does it come up with a green screen in the video. I cant see the video. I was already starting to drool:drool:,and then just disappointment. :crying:

someone has to understand a computer!

16. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Does anyone recall Walter Payton's/Barry Sander's/Eric Dickerson's 40 time? While I agree Mathis is a stud and should get more looks at WR (when healthy), I think you are off-the-mark when trying to argue that Mathis' speed alone makes him as (potentially as) valuable as Bush. Football players need much more than speed to be successful (see J.J. Moses).

However, just think about Johnson, Mathis, Bush and Davis all on the field at the same time! Try sending your best corner to Johnson, your second to Mathis - and having to go cover 2, etc. so you have safety protection with each (or leaving them in single coverage). Then you have the potential of a nickel back or a linebacker trying to cover Bush and a nice wide field for DD to roll through.

Can't a PSL holder dream....:drool:

17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

well, if all of this can happen in under 2 seconds every play, consistently, im down for it.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Exactly.

I've heard a Texans assistant coach say that they want to work him more at WR but they don't want to injure him again. They were saying it is hard for guys to get used to the increased reps and getting hit. So they are increasing his workload slowly. It is not that they have anything against him or that they are so enamoured of the guys who are playing--they want to get him on the field but they don't want him being hamstrung guy.

You might not like everything the coaching staff is doing, but they are not oblivious to Jerome's abilities.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yes, yes, yes be very, very carefull. He can start next year for the new coach. :)

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score