Mathis Could Replace Gaffney

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanFan881, Jun 1, 2005.

?

Who do you think would be our best #2 Wide Reciever

1. Jabar Gaffney

40 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Corey Bradford

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Jerome Mathis

33 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Derrick Armstrong

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

If anything I would have thought that Mathis would be a third wideout but I don't think that he will beat out Gaffney. Who do you think would be the best number two wideout and post your comments.

2. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

I think he'll beat put Bradford for his spot, i mean he's aging, hands arent very good.

3. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

I think in the future Mathis will be the Texans #2 but I don't want David to have to learn a new reciever next year. I like our corp of recievers and I believe they will do fine if David has time to throw the ball.

4. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i think bradford will be the number two guy swapping gaffney in and out regularly...mathis might pull a glenn earl and replace them both halfway through the season...but to start the season it will be bradford

5. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

1) A. J.
    2) Mathis/Armstrong
    3) Armstrong/Mathis/Gaffney
    4) Gaffney/Starling
    5) Starling

I have my doubts about Bradford making the final roster.

6. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Rookie

I agree Bradford will have a hard time making the team. The Texans F.O. did not want him for anything more than the league minimum. :dangit:

7. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

The problem for Bradford is we have a lot of younger guys with more potential waiting to get playing time, and he isn't significantly better than any of them other than experience, which is why they need the PT.

8. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

bradford will be here this year. hopefully he'll play better since he'll be a free agent next year if i'm correct.

9. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

i agree , gaffney will be our #2. but it'll be bradford and armstrong battling for #3. mathis and starling can battle for #4. also, i wouldn't look past sloan thomas. i haven't heard much about him lately, but he may make the team and battle for that #4 spot.

10. mes311

mes311 Rookie

hopefully he'll play better since he'll be a free agent next year if i'm correct.

He was a free agent after last year too, and he didn't play any better.

11. mes311

mes311 Rookie

Swinton was signed as a kick returner also. He could battle for the 5th spot or maybe be the sixth guy.

12. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Mathis is a guy like Bernard Berrian who David threw to in college. I think Mathis could be one of the biggest surprises this year. David likes to hit the quick elusive receiver with good hands with short passes. It gives the receiver a big advantage when he can take a missle from the QB as it gives the receiver the extra time and separation necessary to break away from the defenders. The defense has a harder time setting up against that type of attack particularly if the QB and the receiver can capitalize on the defense cheating.

13. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

Mathis will be our DD of the 2005 draft and he'll be starting at number 2 if hes good and consistent and if Gaffney doesn't improve.

14. jwag630

jwag630 Rookie

Mathis will probably be better suited for the third spot behind Gaffney and in front of Bradford at least for his rookie year.

15. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Bradford will IMO, start out as the #2wr. It's the speed and experience thing. IF and it is a big if for a rookie, Mathis shows he can run routs well and catch the ball, he MIGHT wind up as the #2 by the end of the season. Gaff just doesn't have #2 speed. However, with the shorter timing routs that may not be as much of an issue as it has been. Gaff runs good routs, has good hands and can get open. The very same thing can be said for Armstrong also. It will be interesting to see if the posession type recievers become more important in the shorter rout, timing, quick deleiver scheme.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

You think or you hope ? I hope you're right, but so far to me Mathis is still just a track guy on the football field. What he may or may not have done at Hampton doesn't meant squat, because that level of competition is so far
    beneath what he'll see in the NFL there's really no way to accurately measure his ability to compete effectively at the higher level. When we start to see him in some preseason games against real NFL corners, then we may get an inkling of any upside he might have.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I don't want to get into a level of competition debate, but the "track guy on the football field" description of players is overused IMO. This isn't some guy (Corey Bradford--one year of college ball prior to going to the NFL) who didn't play football and was spotted on the track team and asked to come play speedy wideout. Mathis has played football back through HS including being an all-state WR and KR. Just because a player also runs track doesn't make them a track guy--for ex. Andre Johnson.

18. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

MY predictions - IMO think the Texans will carry 6 receivers next year. Palmer will put in the 5 receiver formations this year. Gaffney will stay at #2 as he is our second best possession receiver. Bradford will stay at #3 but split time with Mathis. Mathis and Starling will split time/compete at the #5 WR spot all year long. Mathis will return kickoffs or punts this year and get experience this year. NExt year Bradford will be let go and Mathis and Starling will battle out for #3 spot.

A sad but true factoid - Most of this is made possible by the subtraction of JJ moses from roster.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Think you forgot Armstrong from the equation.

20. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Yep Cak - I left out the #4 Receiver Armstrong as I feel he has solidified his position allready on the squad as the #4 guy and #3 possesion guy behind Andre and Gaffney.

I figure when the team goes to the "Hands" basic set - AJ, Gaffney, Armstrong and Miller come in. All Possession guys and Armstrong has decent enough speed to be the #3 guy in the set.

I figure when they go to the fly set [5 receivers] It looks like this AJ, Gaffney, Bradford, Armstrong, Mathis/Starling.

I figure Armstrong to be subbing in for Gaffney more than any other guy on the squad as he has almost as good hands.

What will be interesting to see is how many times they go to the hands set since we are going to be using more short dumps and timing routes this year on the Offense.