Matchup Preview of Dallas vs. Houston tomorrow

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Aug 27, 2010.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I remember how encouraged I was after the 2004 season. The Texans had won 7 games and been competitive in most losses. It is humorous now to think back to my lofty expectations of that team for the following season, when I go through that roster: David Carr, Seth Wand, Robaire Smtih, Todd Wade, Jay Foreman, Petey Faggins, CC Brown, Antuan Peek, one-legged Kailee Wong, Billy Miller, Phillip Buchanan… Regardless, though, I entered the 2005 preseason hoping and even expecting to see a team that could challenge for a playoff spot. Then the preseason happened. I think the offense only scored 10 points in the first half of the first three games. Our final preseason effort was against Tampa Bay and the coaches pointed to the game as the time to straighten out the offense. The first team offense was scheduled to play at least a quarter and as much as a half. Well, David Carr was 1-5 with two interceptions and the Texans were trailing 24-0 at halftime. I remember watching the game and feeling my expectations for the season plummet and become replaced with dread and frustration.

Now I look back at that and I am grateful, because that was the watershed mark for the Texans and the beginning of the transition to the current organizational structure led by Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith. Tomorrow, however, is another such point of time for the Texans and this coaching staff. Now, regardless of what happens, this team isn’t going 2-14. They are far too talented for that level of putridity. But, the coaches have placed special emphasis on this game in response to last week’s poor performance in New Orleans. Therefore, if they come out flat, it is a sign that these players under this staff can not be properly motivated throughout the season. If they come out of the tunnel motivated and intense but are ineffectual, it is a sign that this team will be unable to handle the more talented teams in the NFL. Unfortunately, that is who they play this season… lots of good NFL teams. However, if they come out of the tunnel motivated, focused, and are able to execute the gameplan and win many of the individual battles throught the first half, then this is a team that is ready for the season and positioned to do some great things. I’ll be there, nervous but hopeful. Here are some specific matchups to keep your eye on:

1. Interior O-line versus Jay Ratliff and A-gap blitzers, particularly Bradie James (8.5 sacks in 2008). Ratliff is a monster! He may be 30 lbs lighter than most NT but he had 7 sacks and 33 QB pressures, not to mention causing havoc against the run. The Cowboys don’t run a traditional 3-4 defense. The front three does a lot more stunting and slanting, rather than simply eating up blockers. I have been impressed with Myers and Caldwell this preseason but this will be a difficult test for them. They are unlikely to receive much help from backs since they will have their eyes on the OLBs (Ware and Spencer).

Read the rest here: Texans Bull Blog

2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I watched a bit of the NO game tonight. That is a pretty good football team. If we played up to our capabilities or even half that, we may still have come up short but I don't see that same kind of precision coming out of cow town.

Does that mean we win the game? Who cares. I know, I know, some of you do. I don't. I expect us to look dominant for 2 and a half quarters. I'll be suprised if we don't.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I don't know that this will translate to great things in the regular season.......BUT, it may serve to lessen my need for more Pepcid in the interim. Before we get too excited, LET'S KEEP IN MIND that this is our 3rd preseason game........characteristically, the MOST IMPORTANT of the preseason games........while this is the Girls' 4th game, characteristically the MOST IMPORTANT for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teamers.

I believe what happens in the trenches (on both sides of the fence) will be the main thing I watch this game. I strongly believe that where our lines go..........BOTH 1st AND 2nd team, there goes our season.

4. Dwade

Dwade Veteran

I read somewhere that the Cowboy's starters are playing 3 quarters...I forgot where but I think it's true.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

In 2007, we played:

Chicago 20-19 Loss
    Arizona 20-33 Win
    Dallas 16-28 Win
    Tampa Bay 31-24 Loss

We opened that year against Kansas City 3-20 Win & Carolina 21-34 Win.

I believe we got a little over confident that year, we ended up going 8-8.

The Cowboys who lost that "all-important" 3rd Preseason game, and looking pretty pathetic doing so, wound up going 13-3.

I honestly don't believe winning or losing will have much affect on how we do this year. I don't believe "looking" good, or bad will have much affect on how we do this year.

What I believe is most important, is that our players do the things the coaches tell them to do, and they are able to use the resulting film to illustrate and teach our offense & our defense to do their jobs better.

If that means we are in two deep zone when the Cowboys go to their big package on 3rd and 1, so be it.

To me, the most important thing is that our guys are focused on getting better, not on winning games.

When the season starts, their focus should be on winning games.

6. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

It wasn't overconfidence, it was losing AJ for 7 games or so due to his sprained MCL.

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

And Schaub with his whatever it was that sidelined him for a decent portion of the year. Also, DR sustaining that ridiculously horrible injury as well, because he was pretty solid that year.

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Let's see. 3rd preseason game against a team we will see in about a month. I know we won't see much in terms of schemes so I guess I'll be looking at whom we match up against the dallas skill players. Maybe which specific player will be on Witten (Pollard? Maybe even Diles or Cushing? None of that makes me feel any better), how KJ does as a whole. Then I'll be watching Nolan when he's in the game as well as McCain/Molden.

Offense I'll be watching the guards and who causes turnovers (fumbles mostly). I really don't want to see AJ or Schaub play for as long as Kubiak indicated about the starters but whatever.

NO INJURIES.

9. CloakNNNdagger

Phillips really doesn't tell us much as to the specifics.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

1314hrs... still no gameday thread, or any thread discussing this game on the Cowboys forum.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Sorry, my previous post is incorrect. There is one thread where this ESPN preview is posted, but no replies as of yet.

12. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

Look up at the very first thread on this page..........

edited to add that reading is fundamental....I just noticed where you said on the Cowboys board..my bad

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Personally, I want us to come out totally vanilla. I'd prefer that we play our 1's only for a quarter.

This is one game where I'd prefer that Kubiak TOTALLY work off his script and script the entire game so that there's nothing that the Cowboys can look at and use against us in the regular season.

I don't even care if the Defense plays Ole all day and doesn't tackle a single person.

I don't think that's what's going to happen but if I was the coach, I'd definitely be playing this game close to the vest.

I do want to see KJ get picked on, however. I want to see how he performs.

14. CloakNNNdagger

We already saw enough of that last week. I would like to see plain vanilla with our personel holding their own head for head with the Girls. Another show like last week will not justify the risk of the regulars being in there for any time, and will not lead to any worthwhile evaluation of backup or fringe players.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

For you, or me, or the talking heads on TV.

Do you remember last season's preseason games against Minnesota, & the Vikings?

How do you think we got from that, to one of the best defenses in the league against the run?

16. CloakNNNdagger

Some Cowboys fans posts:

17. CloakNNNdagger

I certainly don't see how our losing ways in the preseason contributed to that. But it certainly seemed consistent with our poor show in the first 3 regular season games.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

And we can go over those first three games again if you want. We played just as well in those games with the exception of a handful of plays.

My point, is that those preseason games were not good indicators of how our team would perform in the regular season.

They are practice..

19. CloakNNNdagger

Our D in those 1st 3 games were an extension of the preseason experience. We gave up mucho yards in each game. It didn't predict the ultimate regular season results, but it seemed to have predicted the slow start which dulled the season's end.

20. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I put the least stock of any of the games in this one. Why? We are going to see them in a few weeks. I think we'll see vanilla from both teams and whatever happens won't really represent what we will see in the regular season.

I think we'll get all kinds of posts about how we were telegraphing our blitzes etc and I honestly hope we do. I'd almost rather NOT put our starters in the game and instead put them in the last game. It just doesn't make sense, we know we're not going to show anything we don't have to so let the scrubs play and see which ones of them are able to stand up to first teamers.

Mike