MarkBerman -- TJ Yates suffered an AC joint separation in his left shoulder

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nut, Jan 1, 2012.

1. nut

nut All Pro

2. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

He said it is his left shoulder and he doesn't need it.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Although a non-dominant shoulder injury isn't serious like one to the dominant one, it can possibly still significantly affect leverage and accuracy since it affect counterbalance. Hopefully, it is such that it will not. Try throwing with your non-throwing arm by your side instead of out to the side and up.

4. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

Bum said on the post game show it was a separated shoulder. He used some initials like CH or something. CND - any insight?

5. Naiirb

Naiirb All Pro

MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman
    Texans QB TJ Yates suffered an AC joint separation in his left shoulder against the Titans. Texans have not confirmed specifics of injury.

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Hes fine.

7. CloakNNNdagger

8. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman
    Texans QB TJ Yates suffered an AC joint separation in his left shoulder against the Titans. Texans have not confirmed specifics of injury.
    16 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Uhhh, Dr. CND ..... a little help here??? :headhurts:

9. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Jake Delhomme, NEXT MAN UP!

10. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

He can play through that if needed. They will put a shoulder brace and shorten the pad shelf on the left side to make it tighter. I thought it was just bruised?

11. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Is a banged up Yates better than a healthy Delhomme? Thats what we need to figure out....

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Don't be surprised if Delhomme starts. Just saying. And between the two, I'm not sure it matters. Either has his good and bad points.

13. CloakNNNdagger

If they have not accurately characterized his separation, he should be in a sling/brace until the MRI. He was on the sideline unsupported. They are taking for granted that it is probably a Type I (see my above post for diagrams in post #7). There would be little or no immobilization and the player should be entirely healed by 2 weeks. This would have little implications to his throwing arm except as he may be affected by that noted in my previous post (#3). He should return next week.

If it is a type II, he may be immobilized for a few days to a week, and should be healed in 2-3 weeks. Return to play still probably next week with the possible limitations noted in my initial post.

Type III, is trickier and is sometimes further subcategorized to worse variants of IV, V, and VI. Type III may require surgery, but even without surgery return to play normally can be around a 1-3 months with full healing not for 3-6 months. Again, in a non-dominant arm, its whatever will be as soon as tolerated by pain and the limitations aforementioned, probably not less than 1 month. The surgical type III, IV,V and VI will all keep the player out more time than what we need to discuss here.

14. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

If TJ can't play, that very well could be a blessing in disguise.

After watching today's game, I thought Delhomme played a decent game today, all things considered, all things considered. So I don't think it matters one iota whether TJ plays or Jake plays.

15. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

16. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I agree that it's pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other.

While Yates' upside may be higher, he's still very raw after just five NFL starts. At this stage of his career he's no better or worse than the veteran Delhomme.

17. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I realize there are details (or maybe more than details) that we don't currently know, and might not ever really know. However, on the "This could be a non-event" side of the argument, I give you Matt Schaub in Dec. 2009.

Matt separated his left shoulder in the 12th game of the season (a loss to Jacksonville). He started all 4 remaining games, had 3 games over 300 yards, 3 games with a passer rating of over 100, and the Texans went 4-0 over those last 4 games.

I am absolutely not suggesting this injury means T.J. will lead us on a 4 game winning streak (although that would be nice), nor am I implying that he will have even one 300 yard game or any game with a passer rating over 100 from here on out (that is to say I am not suggesting this will improve his play). I'm only saying that depending on the severity and other things we may never know, it could very well change nothing.

If you want to cheer that as good news, or curse it as horrible news, feel free - just pointing out one possible way this could play out.

18. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Delhome sucks. He sucks so bad the Browns dumped his ass and he was pig farming a few weeks ago.

Was Reliant built on an ancient Indian burial ground? This is insane that year in and year out we have so many injuries. I think the curse lies next door. It's time to blow up the Astrodome.

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

You won't get any arguments from me on that one.

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

Delhomme hung in a pocket unlike the old Delhomme would. My memories of old Delhomme was a guy always running around and getting into trouble with bad decisions. Erratic.

I saw a Delhomme today who looked pretty dang good all things considered. Most of his throws were tight and in the right spot, a few were high, but overall he made all throws...something Leinart was NOT doing.

Would Kubiak consider yanking Yates if he's struggling in the playoff game? I would heavily consider it based on TODAY'S Delhomme. Not stirring a pot, just saying today's Delhomme was adequate enough to be an option if Yates bogs down bad enough to warrant a switch.