Mark Sanchez on the brink of setting NFL play-off record

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Rey, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/artic...s-if-jets-beat-steelers-on-sunday-456886.html

2. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Twice? Are you confused?

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

It just goes to show that statistics can often be misleading. Here this kid is ranked 29th in the regular season, but he's winning the games that count.

I hope he loses Sunday, though. :D

Even though I predicted Green Bay and NYJ at the beginning of the season to my dad, for whatever reason(s), I just can't get behind the Jets. Maybe it's their fans, or the hype, not sure, but just can't do it. Although I don't like rooting for the Steelers, either.

5. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

They have so many stats and records I'm sure something is surpassed every year.

"Believe it or not, Jackson will have more road playoff gatorade deliveries to players than any waterboy in league history if his team continues on to the big game. The 68-year-old juice dispenser is currently tied with......"

6. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Misinformed is more like it. Tom, a big time Steelers fan told me that when we were discussing this Sunday's games. My bad for not checking it out first.:shades:

7. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Maybe its because Jets fans are so mentally challenged they have to prove to the rest of the NFL that they can, in fact, spell every time something even remotely good happens?

Personally, I find it really hard to believe that no QB in the history of the NFL has won more than 4 road playoff games. What that means is that the great QBs of all time consistently gained home field advantage. To me that personally says the Jets (not just Mark Sanchez) has gotten lucky and snuck into the playoffs for two straight years and are well coached enough that they get hot when it counts.

But for the love of all that is good I can't imagine a worse Super Bowl for me excluding the Titans if the Jets make it in.

8. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

From the article, http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2011/01/19/nfl-quarterbacks-looking-at-playoff-road-records/

4-1: Len Dawson, Roger Staubach, Mark Sanchez.
    4-3: Joe Flacco.
    3-0: Ben Roethlisberger.
    3-1: Eli Manning.
    3-2: Tom Brady, John Elway, Steve McNair.
    3-4: Mark Brunell, Donovan McNabb.
    3-7: Brett Favre.
    2-1: Jim Plunkett, Aaron Rodgers, Bart Starr.
    2-2: Dan Fouts, Otto Graham.
    2-3: Terry Bradshaw, Jim Everett.
    2-4: Randall Cunningham.
    2-5: Peyton Manning, Joe Montana.
    1-1: George Blanda, John Brodie, Jack Kemp, Bobby Layne, Babe Parilli, Tobin Rote, Fran Tarkenton,
    1-2: Drew Bledsoe, Rich Gannon, Johnny Unitas, Michael Vick, Kurt Warner.
    1-3: Troy Aikman, Joe Ferguson, Bob Griese, Jim Kelly, Phil Simms.
    1-4: Ken Stabler, Warren Moon.
    1-6: Dave Krieg, Dan Marino.
    0-1: Boomer Esiason, John Hadl.
    0-0: Sonny Jurgensen, Joe Namath.
    0-2: Ken Anderson, Drew Brees, Kerry Collins, Roman Gabriel, Steve Grogan, Jim Hart, Ron Jaworski, Y.A. Tittle, Norm Van Brocklin.
    0-3: Daryle Lamonica, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young.
    0-4: Matt Hasselbeck.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

That was my first reaction...

But after thinking about it, its so tough to make it into the play-offs...For some guys it's not a year in year out experience....

Also, like you said...teams that are really good get home field advantage and/or bye weeks...

And then that's not even taking into account the road play-off games that they lose...

10. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

:evil:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

12. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Well, maybe he'll do it next year when they lose in the AFC championships again. (They're starting to remind me of the Bills.... just can't... quite... finish.)

13. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I have to give Sanchez his due. The kid has heart. He plays like a veteran. Even after he took some MONSTER shots from Pittsburgh he didn't give up. If NY is smart and keeps a good offensive line and some receivers for him to throw it to he'll do great and eventually get a Superbowl.

14. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it. He makes some really boneheaded decisions, and a lot of the big plays he makes seem to be a result of Edwards and Holmes' talent. Without Holmes the Jets looked pretty weak at the beginning of the season, save for the New England game. Maybe I'm wrong...I just don't see him as a top-tier QB without high-end WRs.

15. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I'll admit he made some mistakes that a true vet wouldn't have made, BUT consider that this is only his second season in the NFL. He'll improve.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I don't think Sanchez is anywhere near elite, but he's a solid QB. And just being his second year in the NFL and already played in two AFC championship games is impressive.

I think he could be a good game manager if he's got a solid cast around him and a good defense. Sort of like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. Not great QBs, but good enough to make some plays and get rings.