Mark Cuban has lost his mind

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TEXANS84, May 30, 2007.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465

2. Il_Bruno

Il_Bruno Veteran

this is ridiculous, the talent pool can barely hold well across the current 32 teams, much less an entire new league.

Mark Cuban is insane

3. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Mark Cuban IS insane. This the XFL all over again.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The only problem with the XFL, was the TV monopoly of the NFL. There was no coverage on any news stations. & the stations/programs that mentioned the XFL, were cynical at best.

Sure, there wasn't a team in the XFL, that could hang with the Colts.. or the Patriots. But it wasn't bad football. It was in the off-season, and I for one, rather enjoyed it. I thought it was better than NFLE, in it's inaugural season. Given time, it could be as big as college football.

And, with players like Kurt Warner, Joe Horn, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, and countless others who actually go unnoticed in these obscure leagues, how can you say the talent pool is too thin. Unless you believe NFL GMs never miss.

Marquez(sp) Colston Anyone??

Think about it. Our Starting QB has been sitting on someone else's bench for the last three years.

5. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

How many leagues have there been now that have competed with the NFL? How many are still around? Only reason Arena Football works is because it's different.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I couldnt agree more .... And what else does Cuban have to do with his money other than let the next several generations of grand kids spend it ? :cool:

Would be nice if they would run their season in the NFL's offseason .... give us football junkies something to do other than wait for some snipet of news or the draft . :play:

7. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I like how you can invest in a team. Makes it much more fun. I would probably watch it if it were in the offseason. During the season, on Friday nights, doubtful. Getting so called "2nd round picks" to sign with them instead of the NFL is also intriguing.

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I can watch football anytime but this experiment has failed too many times.

9. real

real Guest

I'd watch it....are you serious ?!

I can't believe we have football fans complaining about MORE football...

It would just be more exsposure for players that go unnoticed or fly under the radar....I liked the XFL, and I feel like the only reason it didn't survive was because of how it was treated in the media, and the monopoly of air time by the NFL....I like watching good football...NFLE is borderline terrible at times...I wouldn't mind having another quality football leauge...

10. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

IIRC, the USFL did all right as long as they were a Spring and Summer league. It seems like they went under when they switched to a Fall schedule.

I watched on XFL game. I'll do the same for the new league. If I like it, I'll watch more.

11. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Are we seriously talking about this? Cuban is a JACKASS!

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Anytime you have more demand than supply people with a lot of money get interested, make it happen and get out by turning a quick profit. There are so many channels looking for content and emerging markets in the US, specifically in the west. Moreover, what happens when the NFL attempts to go international? They will need to draw their talent pool for front office, operations and players from somewhere.

The value proposition for this seems to be sound in my opinion, but it still does not mean I would watch.

13. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

The players that will more than likely be playing in this new league are the same as those that are being allocated to NFLE, so the product on the field should be more or less the same quality. Kinda like NFLE US edition.

14. real

real Guest

Read the article

15. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

If Cuban and the gang was smart, they would start their season in April and have their championship game on Labor Day. It is not smart to comptete head to head with the NFL. I am for more football and think that having it in spring in summer would be great. The problem with competing with the NFL is where would it be broadcast The Outdoor life channel? The NFL has contracts with Fox, CBS, ABC,and ESPN during the NFL season. However during April-Labor Day there is no NFL so theoretically this new league could be broadcast at that point.

Oh, and the reason the XFL failed was becuase of Vince McMahon. People didnt know if it would be fake like wrestling or a real event. Also the talant in the XFL wasnt too good. I mean HE HATE ME says it all.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I like football as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time watching 'bad football. And if it's not NFL or NCAA, it's probably going to be 'bad' football.

17. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

I understand they would like to compete for players drafted below the 2nd, but realistically we are talking about 2nd day picks mostly. Players drafted in the 3rd at least have some job security in the NFL because they know the league won't fold in a year or two and most teams don't give up on their 3rd rounders for a few years if they are at least able to supply quality depth. I think the salary would have to be considerably higher in this new league, or the league would have to target players drafted by bad teams, to get any late first day, early second day players to defect. Otherwise, you're left with basically the same type players that are being allocated to NFLE.

18. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

The NFL could use some healthy competition. I think that we could have teams in some of the markets that the NFL is missing. What a great idea to provide a league with some 3rd round - UFA talent and some bad apples that the NFL won't sign. It has to work!!!

Sincerely,
    Vince McMahon

19. real

real Guest

That's one way to look at it...

Here's another:

If I'm a third rounder coming out of college, and this new leauge guarantees me more money than I'd be making in the NFL and basically guarantee me I'd be a starter, and quite possibly a star in the leauge I'd definitely consider it....There's talented players in every leauge from NFLE, to AFL, to these little semi-pro teams....IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could get some quality football players....look at all the players drafted in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round this year....you have some guys that were 'stars' in college but because of issues off field slipped to later rounds...and you also have guys with semi-big names who slipped because of the combine or workouts....

No one is suggesting that the talent will be as good as the NFL, but if it is a step above or below the NCAA I'd watch it....of course that's just my personal opinion, but I seriously doubt that if it were a step above or below college football that others wouldn't feel the same way I would...

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I agree completely with the concept. I love football and that is their selling point. Their isn't enough football. I'm just trying to figure out how it will all work out. Will it end up being developmental and a better version of NFL Europe or will it be competition?The best non-NFL league IMHO was the USFL because they had Jim Kelly, Young, H. Walker, etc. I thought they had cool unis too. I have no complaints I just think you'd have a hard time competing with the Jerry Jones of the world when it comes to power in a league and there are many other owners, like JJ, with some major power to maybe quash many moves another league might offer.