Mario Williams Vs. Michael Strahan

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by light, Dec 14, 2006.

1. light

light Rookie

Mario Williams
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 291
    Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks
    2006 Texans 13 36 27.0 9 4.5

# 92 Michael Strahan
    Position: DE
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 255
    Born: 11/21/1971
    College: Texas Southern
    Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks
    1993 Giants 9 3 1.0 2 1.0
    1994 Giants 15 38 25.0 13 4.5

2. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

Wow, with those stats from Strahan from 1993 & 1994 then he must be a BUST! :rolleyes: :shocked

3. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Strahan was not picked #1 overall. Therein lies the difference when comparing the two. No one is really saying Mario sucks. People are just saying HE SUCKS as #1 overall pick....especially when you consider what we passed on.

its an ugly truth but the truth nonetheless.

4. BigSaint8050

BigSaint8050 Rookie

One word.... HA.....

Multiply that by 1000, thats my response.

5. dantem

dantem Veteran

He was only picked no 1 because he fit our needs at the time, what does the order he was picked in have to do with weather or not he is a good player?

6. dantem

dantem Veteran

By the way, the saints must have been crazy to pass up DeMeco Ryans and take Bush.

7. t_flare

t_flare Veteran

McNair said it today with should make sense for everyone... they are BUILDING this team from the ground up... Dom and Casserly build it up then got rid of Glenn, Sharper and the vets and took it down.

If find another pass rusher to play the LE spot. Have Mario RE, Travis Johnson and Weaver to stop the run. Find OLB that are better than what you have now, Ryans in the middle. Find a 2nd CB, move Faggins to nickel and upgrade one or both safties.

This Defense can be top 15 this year after their terrible start. You upgrade it more and make it like a Chicago, like a Denver, like a Baltomore.

Then your offense doesnt have to me magic to win games.

So in for Mario, he is playing injured since the 8th game of the season. He shows flashs of great DE plays as a rookie. IF he gets better, he is a DE starter for the next 10 years.

8. light

light Rookie

i still think mario is a better pick than reggie bush. especially if he maximizes his ability. defese wins super bowls, and kubiak knows the offensive side of the ball. The texans did make the mistake of not seriously considering vince young though. Reggie cant handle the years of pounding the nfl has in store for him, i give him 5 years tops.....

9. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

Unfortunately, but we didn't pick Vince Young ( the living GOD), so we all need to move on & don't dwell on the past! Until the living GOD wins multiple Superbowls, then I will change my tune! We ALL gotta support Mario, 1st pick or not, this is not he's fault & he seems to want to become better! I have a feeling once Mario becomes better the sting from not drafting the living GOD-Vince will lessen!!!:secret: :)

10. light

light Rookie

thats his first two seasons in the league, he really didnt take off until '96

11. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

Light- I know! I was being sarcastic with all of these "We should have pick Vince, or the slash2 aka Bush over Mario comments! I think if Stahan wouldn't have been injured-the Giants should have beaten the Cowboys or Titans, among others. Stahan + healthy = HAVOC on opposing Offenses!:mario2:

12. Second Honeymoon

You can read what you want out of my quote. My main point was when people mention Strahan's early career statistics and production you have to remember that Mario was the #1 pick overall. Strahan was not the #1 overall pick, thus Mario should be making more of an impact on the field than Strahan did Year One.

Please leave Vince Young out of this. It really just outs you as a bitterman. He beat us, get over it. This is a Mario v Strahan thread. Because Mario was by definition, a reach, the organization will always be forced to deal with the multiple impact players they passed on to pick Mario. Mario could be better than Strahan for all we know. I already like his ability to play with pain and not further injure himself, and I think he could get a mean streak oneday. However, he was chosen #1 overall thus he is judged by a different standard than Strahan was.

Strahan ended up working out for the Giants as he developed over the years into the DE he is presently. Great story and a great smile. The fact is that Mario MUST develop into a Strahan level talent (not the longevity necessarily) in order to justify where the Texans took him. Period. Mario wasnt the only DE in the draft after all.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Yes, its brutally frank and difficult to accept, but there it is. And its the truth.
    But nobody is saying Mario is going to be a bust. Not by a long-shot.
    IMO Mario will be a good, maybe a very good NFL DLineman as long as his
    career is not slowed down too much by injuries.

14. Tayton

Tayton Veteran

We know, now go home.

15. Second Honeymoon

Is that a 'Go Back To New Orleans' blast? If so, that is a first.

16. light

light Rookie

17. light

light Rookie

we know what we're talking about. did you use to play defense?

18. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Alot of people say we should have traded down rather than pick Mario #1.. yet ive heard of no offer that we passed on.. just the opposite actually.. ive heard that no one in the top 5 offered any worthwhile trade, and if we had traded out of the top 5, we wouldnt have gotten Bush, Williams, or Young.

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"The Jets made small efforts to try to trade up to 2 for Bush (we offered our 2 1st round picks and our 2nd rounder but the Saints wanted at least another 1st round pick)"
    http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26325&page=4

According to the above post on the Jets MB, it was common knowledge up there that the Jets tried to work out a deal with the Saints for Bush, and offered their 2 first (#4 & #29 overall) and their 2nd round pick, but the Saints wanted more.
    That same deal had to also be there for the Texans before they made their choice.

20. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

not necessarily.. the Jets probably didnt make that offer until we took Williams.. there is fairly large difference in worth between the first and second pick.