Mario Williams on the Combine

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexanAddict, Mar 3, 2006.

1. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

2. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

3. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Big strong and fast. I would say that he is the 3rd best player in the draft.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

After all the posts (made with hindsight!*) I've read in the past couple of months that say it was intuitively obvious that Peppers should have been picked before Carr, I wonder why Mario Williams isn't the front runner for more people around here.

I have finally made up my mind that he should be our first pick whether we trade down or not. He fills a glaring weakness for us, in general rookies on defense can make a more immediate impact, a pass rush should also improve our weak secondary, etc. etc.

* apologies to those people who truly wanted Peppers before the draft.

TexanAddict likes this.
  5. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

mario williams is probably the top talent in this draft...when you look at the athletes we have in this years draft with williams, bush, young, davis, hawk, and ferguson there is some seriously talented guys in the draft

6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Even though I started this process as a Bush guy and can admit that VY is an incredible talent, I have changed the past month. I wrote this a few weeks back but if you want to get a playmaker that will help the team and stop the VY v. Bush argument, this is the guy. The Steelers showed what D playmakers can do against the best of defenses.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

If he is a Peppers clone the #2 overall seems pretty much inline. as a fan & not a GM I would rank them as follows:

• Matt Leinart
    • Mario Williams
    • D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    • Reggie Bush
    • Vince Young
    • AJ Hawk
    • Jay Cutler
    • Vernon Davis
    • Michael Huff
    • Tye Hill

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

D'Brick dominated Mario during the Senior Bowl week (don't remember if it was the game or the practice) and we spent a 1st round pick on a DL last season.

9. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Mario is a junior and wasn't at the Senior Bowl, nice try though. D'Brick did play well against most of the other guys there, but he did get beat some too, and Mario is easily a better pass rusher than anyone at the Senior Bowl.

10. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

As MorKnolle pointed out, Mario wasn't even at the Senior Bowl...I think you're thinking of Kiwanuka or Hali.

We did take a Dlineman last year, but there is a BIG difference between the DT that we really didn't need last year (IMO) and the DE that we desperately need now since we are switching to a 4-3 scheme.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

My draft board in 2002 for the Texans in the first round was Peppers and Portis. This year it is Mario Williams and Eric Winston. Winston is admittedly a wish. I just can't get Ferguson out of my mind being beat by Tapp from VA Tech so easily.

TexanAddict likes this.
  12. beerlover

I could live with that :thumbup

but I just think the temptation to finally nab a franchise LT that fits the Texans new scheme perfectly will be to much for Kubiac and Casserly to ignore along with owner Bob McNair's two year old promise to get David some protection. just a feeling :stooges:

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The only thing McNair owes DC is cash pursuant to his contract. McNair owes this team players on both sides of the ball. DC has been pampered this off season with an extension and a new staff.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I agree...also, when has he NOT been pampered here?

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That must be a rhetorical question. :) Carr has been a regular at Reliant Spa for four years.

16. beerlover

GAME DAY

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

It was Mathias Kiwanuka (BC) that was dominated by D'Brick.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I think with the way they drafted in Denver and from what the O-coordinator said that one day that we may be headed D or Bush with O-line in the second. Random but with their success in lower rounds and Kubiak knowing what kind of guys he wants on the line I just don't see them pulling the trigger. Especially with the chance to get one of 5 or so playmakers....something we really aren't full of, line or not.

19. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

I the Texans picked Mario Williams first overrall, I would not shed a tear. This guy is an absolute beast. From what I heard on ESPN, the Jets are all hard-up for Lienart, so I say the Texans trade picks with NJ, the Jets get their guy and we get addtional 2nd pick this year. If someone has already come up with this scenario, sorry.

20. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

What happened with Pennington and the Jets? If he didn't restructure, the Jets wanting to trade up is far more likley.