Mario Williams now a licensed peace officer in TX

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by srrono, May 18, 2013.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Jerome Solomon ‏@JeromeSolomon 5m RT @MarkBermanFox26 Buffalo Bills DE Mario Williams is now a licensed peace officer in the state of Texas. http://tinyurl.com/a44fmsc

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Scarey. Three months and $2700 = Barney Fife. Lone Star doesn't offer any hands on experience to mention. They go through basic academics and arms and driving technique training. But as opposed to a formal police academy like HPD (a rigorous six month academic and physical training program comparable to a military style boot-camp), they offer no self defense training or any field training time.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think it's cool.

Sort of like Mike Lowrey...

But I wonder why HPD. Surely he could have done the same thing in Buffalo. I think it's interesting if he decided to continue to reside in Texas. From what I understand, Demeco did too.

4. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

Lower property prices, better climate, plus they already have long standing ties to the area. Didn't Shaq have a home in Sugarland during his playing days at some point? I'm guessing no state income tax doesn't play into it as much since the players have to pay their taxes based on where the games where played.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I hardly think Mario needs any of the laughably described "rigorous ... physical training program comparable to a military style boot-camp" which results in their final exam of 15 push ups (oh and six trigger pulls with each hand - is there really someone out there who cannot do that?). You can't enter boot camp without doing 15 push ups. They hold people indefinitely at the reception station or bust them out entirely.

Any of these people like Shaq, Steven Siegal, etc. are always going to be accompanied by vets.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I understand what you are saying. But those police officers I've known over the years have all emphasized the importance of field training which is not available through Lone Star. Foreshortened programs like Lone Star's can get graduates that choose a lesser screened security guard-like position in trouble very quickly with their limited training.

7. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Grats on fulfilling a life goal, Mario. With a lot of the football news this time of year being about world class screw ups, it's nice to have some positive news about a player who wants to do some good with their life.

8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I second that.

9. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Why wouldn't you stay here? Great weather (Minus August and July) not state tax, a large city to get lost in, etc etc.

This is not a bad place to live in.

10. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Well if this Mario ever tries to make a citizens arrest all a criminal has to do is pull out a big fake gawdy gumball machine diamdon ring and toss it and say go get it boy go boy go get it!! Mario will take off after that ring a retrieve fetching a stick.

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Tax perks aside, I think the guy genuinely likes it here..which goes against everything many people believe about him based on his normal demeanor and him leaving for buffalo....

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

For anyone who cares, his commission is held in reserve in Montgomery Co. But if he ever really wants to be a cop, he should probably think long and hard about letting stuff like this out (from the engagement ring thread):

13. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

LOL! Exactly what I was thinking. Some are actually thinking this is a good thing when you have an above average size male who is admitting to having suicidal thoughts & abusing drugs & is now a licensed peace officer. Take away the name of the person & just lay out the above situation & I highly doubt many, if any, would believe this was a good move or cool. Just saying...

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Sounds like he ain't got no game & he's trying to make her feel sorry for him & not leave him.

15. TwoFive

TwoFive Rookie

He should have arrested mike goodson lol

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Mario's off-season has been interesting.

LINK

17. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

That's par for the course. Mario accepted a load of cash without ever living up to expectations.

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Law enforcement training program suspended

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Jeez, that took this long to hit the news? This happened in the summer. I thought about posting something at the time, but thought better of it.

20. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

poor Mario, at least he's still happily engaged.