Mario Williams is NOT a bust after all.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANRED, Nov 6, 2007.

1. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

So I was looking around to compare Mario to some of this years high round pick rookies and some notable DE's that are big names. This is what I came up with:

Jamal Anderson: Has not even played yet. He was picked 8th.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=0656

Gaines Adams drafted 4th overall: 1.5 sacks 17 tackles 2 PD
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8258

Dwight Freeney, 3.5 sacks, 20 Tackles, 4 FF
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5897

Robert Mathis 4.0 sacks, 20 tackles, 1 FF
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6474

Michael Strahan 4.0 sacks, 26 tackles 2 PD
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=2579

Julius Peppers 1.5 sacks, 26 tackles, 4 PD 2 FF
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=5888

Mario Williams 4.0 sacks, 23 tackles 1 PD, 1 TD
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=7750

So I guess my question is, when comparing Mario to the rest of the stud DE's and high round draft picks, are we expecting to much?

2. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

People plan their games around guys like Freeney and Strahan. Not so much around Mario yet. The reason those guys have fewer tackles is because the offense tries to make plays away from them.

I agree he is not a bust, but I just felt that needed to be added to this. He is well on his way to becoming a playmaker and game changer.

:texflag:

Second Honeymoon likes this.
  3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Yes, becuase to some fans he will forever be linked to YKW and Reggie Bush, and it does not mater that either those two are not living up to the hype.

Mario will never, and I mean never escape the 06 draft, espically from the sea of fairweather sports fans in Houston; and that's a shame.

4. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Agreed.

5. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

it's a little sad that we even have to reassure ourselves he's not a bust.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Nobody has really been lighting it up it seems.

However Jamaal Anderson has been playing...espn must have messed up their stats.

8 games(8 Games Started):16 tackes (12 solo/4 assist), 0 sacks, 2 pass def.

Mario has a ways to go to become a really good DE. His pass rush his suspect but teams have been consistently running away from him, he's a good run stopper and tackler.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Why does it have to be bust or hall of fame? Why can't I as a fan root for him yet be honest enough to say he has not done as expected? If he gets four more sacks and several QB hurries in next seven games, then he is a good DE. Not great, but good. In his next year, he then should move to a very good DE.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I dont think too many people have decided he's a bust.

He was hurt last year, and is playing very well this year. He's just not yet lived up to that 1st overall pick billing yet

Our DL as a unit, the 1st round crew, even though many are playing well individually, is a bust IMO

9. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

Of course they are......and he's not a bust AT ALL. And yes, Defenses DO gameplan around him. They also gameplan(ned) around Dunta. You're crazy if you think they don't. Just b/c he doesn't have the stats doesn't mean he hasn't played extremely well. Those of you hyped up on Okoye should know that at least two of his sacks were people running scared from Mario. He's done well. Not great. Just like VY and Reggie. None have lived up to they hype, and that's b/c there is TOO MUCH HYPE. Every year people act like there are 4 LaDanian Tomlinson's in the draft, and 4 Joe Montana's. They're wrong every year. I'm very happy with Mario's play, and I even think TJ is stepping up. Once Okoye had another year under his belt, they will be feared in 2009!!!!!!!

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The Freeney thing is a myth and an excuse. They just had a piece on the Colts defense a couple of weeks ago on ESPN and the whole point of their offseason was to stop concentrating on sack numbers and to become more of a force holding the line and becoming a more complete D. It has worked so far. Freeney gets much more attention than Mario and is always gameplanned for. Julius Peppers started out as a force and is having an off year and now he is like Mario too?I'm not getting the comparisons.

Can you pass what you are having over here?I don't think Mario is a bust per se. I just don't see what you are seeing and I don't see a guy who is living up to potential yet. We will see.

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I haven't seen Mario called a bust by many folks not Chronicle sportswriters or sports talk hosts.

Mario is going to be alright. We just have to be patient about it and don't set ourselves up for unrealistic expectations.

12. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

Anyone catch James Harrisons performance for the Steelers last night?

9 Tackles
    3 1/2 sacks
    6 Qb Hurries
    1 Int
    2 forced fumbles
    1 fumble recovery

Just freakin Awesome!

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Too bad Baltimore isnt on our schedule this year... Steve McNair looked like the demon child of Drew Bledsoe and David Carr last night.

14. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Let me first say that I am NOT saying that Mario Williams is a bust. He has been dissapointing so far for being a #1 overall pick. But he has plenty of time to improve. But on the players you mentioned, you are picking and choosing.

Michael Strahan- Secound round pick. He wasn't supposed to come in and dominate right away. He got better as his career came along. But he wasn't even a first round pick.

Julius Peppers- Yeah he has 1.5 sacks this year. But look at his first 5 years in the league.

2002-12 sacks
    2003- 7 sacks
    2004-11 sacks
    2005-10 Sacks
    2006- 13 sacks

Dwight Freeny

2002- 13 Sacks
    2003- 16 sacks
    2004- 11 sacks
    2005- 13 sacks

My point is that we don't know if Mario is a bust yet, But to me he hasn't lived up to his potential. He can improve just like Michael strahan did. He is still young, but he has to have the drive and not just rely on talent alone.

15. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

Man I wish he would retire. I always respected his toughness but he has hung on too long, add to that he joined a Ravens team that has had nothing but offensive struggles since Jamal did his stint in the pokey.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it's been brutal watching Gaines Adams this year. completely outmatched on every play. although he's looked much better against Arizona. but man, it's been tough to watch.

ironically he's been great against the run, which everyone thought he could never do.

17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I'm in Tally so I get Bucs games every week as well. I agree with you, and he has not looked anything like he did in college either. It's odd watching him play this year. I thought he was going to make some sort of immediate impact but he looks non existant for most of the games I have watched. I still have faith in him.

I think Mario has been a solid young player. He hasn't done anything to suggest he should be benched or anything of that nature but he hasn't shown me why he was selected #1 overall. However, if Vince or Reggie had come here I would be saying the same thing. It would be interesting to see how many people were happy with their #1 overall pick's performance for the first 3 years of their career. I was not happy with David Carr's, but I am not so sure it is representative of the #1s.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Mario Williams is playing on a horrible defense.

His "mentors" are ND Kalu and Anthony Weaver.

He is playing with mostly inexperienced guys and street free agents.

And an inexperienced guy is running the defense. Someone with no philosophy or track record other than saying he likes running an aggressive 4-3.

And the secondary is by most accounts the worst in the league, so you can't expect much as far as coverage sacks.

Williams does stuff that doesn't show up in stats as far as his hurries. It was interesting to see how many times that the Raiders ran away from him the last game.

That being said, you see moments of potential mixed with needing to work on technique and not overpursing.

Those who question his effort, I do not think are watching closely.

As for the bust talk from the Chronicle, I think at least some of the writers there feel the need to scapegoat. I also think that some are upset that Williams isn't as niiiiiiiiice to them as they would want him to be.

You know, basically, they want to be able to call him a mistake every chance they get, but don't understand why he isn't open and niiiiiiiice in talking to them.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

That would be great info except we have gone up against some pretty regular offensive lines and average Qbs. Even with all you say, Mario should be better.

20. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Texans_Chick made some good points

He has the tools to be a monster, but inconsistence is his biggest weakness right now.

They guy can go out and dominate an O-Line one week, then have Reggie "Bust" Williams make him his ***** another week.