Mario Williams interview on ESPN radio

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

2. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Interviews with players are never that informative, except when they talk about their injuries (or knocking the piss out of someone). In this case, we're informed that his injury is still lingering.

3. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

This is the first time I've heard Mario talking all the right shit.
    He's definitely a leader in that locker room, and he and the leaders
    need to turn their words into action.

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

This is just my pure speculation but I think its more Mario not being satisfied with being told in Philly to go back to camp and you'll heal on your own. I can understand how a player wouldn't be satisfied with that diagnosis especially when you're in pain. A part of the diagnosis was that the pain won't subside immediately but gradually over a few months. Its normal that he still feels this way and this is in line with his original diagnosis.

5. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

What was the original diagnosis? I thought no one was certain.

6. stevn8r

stevn8r Zombie

good find Tailgate.. dont hear much from super mario...he is talking the talk now we need to walk! screw that, RUN! :devilpig:

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

In a previous thread about Mario’s injury, because of the presentation of combination of groin, pelvic and hip pain (which led to the team’s presumptive diagnosis of “sports hernia”), I put forth the impression of 3 potential diagnoses—hip stress fracture, avascular necrosis and labral tear [http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1490644&postcount=44] Now putting all the information gained from what he has already undergone and now states about a predicted continued inflammatory problem, I’m converging my attention to one of those diagnoses in my differential..........a hip labrum tear.

For those of you not familiar with the term “labrum,” it most commonly in reference to the shoulder and hip joint. The labrum is the cartilage coverage of the socket surfaces of these ball and socket joints:

[​IMG]

Why am I honing in on labral tear?..........Because:

*Symptoms shared with a sports hernia (ruled out)

*The injection was described as therapeutic, very likely into the joint, of steroid (probably mixed with local anesthesia). This would help explain his immediately improved “Mario-like” performance against Arizona.

*The injection into the hip could have very well included a dye injection into the hip joint to enhance MRI diagnosis. (MRI without dye contrast is very unreliable, and with dye can still notoriously under diagnose or miss the diagnosis.)

*Need for rest often

*Need for strengthening of muscle “around that area.” (To stabilize joint)

*A prolonged unknown prognosis of inflammation/potential recovery could apply to the hope that the conservative treatments could delay or avoid the need for surgery.

If anyone is interested, I have tried to find a short understandable article that you can review to see how this diagnosis very well fits the picture of we know to date. LINK

BIG TORO and Tailgate like this.
  8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7145603.html