Mario Williams combine results

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Sportsfan, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Anyone know what Mario's combine numbers were last year?
    Like 40 time, bench press reps, vertical, etc, etc...

Just interested in knowing so i can compare to some of the D-lineman of this years class.

Thanks

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

3. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Damn, he was a freak..sorry, is a freak

4. texans83

texans83 All Pro

He deff put up some great numbers

5. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Thanks buddy.

40+" vertical is crazy and a 4.7 for a 300 pounder is nuts.

6. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

He is definately a rare talent, his floor was MUCH higher than VY and RB, and he proved the hype with his combine numbers. I look forward to watching him in 07 at 100%.

I feel the Texans made the right decision with him as the 1st overall pick and it will be up to him to put the skeptics to rest this season. :ok:

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

dunta robinson was on cold pizza and he said that mario has so much potential. that he see mario being in a lot of pro bowls during his career. go mario...hope they are all w/ houston!!

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Its going to be fun watching him, DeMeco and Drob anchor our D over then next few years.

A toast to the wins to come!

9. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

except people keep saying we need a 'true passing rushing threat'. if Mario isnt a pass rusher then what the hell is he and why did we take him #1?

10. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

The D-line is made up of 4 people, not 1. No man is an island.

11. Ole Miss Texan

Yea mario is 1 guy along the line of 4. each have their own role...since we're rebuilding we can only pick 1 guy at a time and build from there.

Mario is a run stopper...nobody can run by this dude..he's simply amazing. Thats why i wouldn't be against drafting a guy like gaines adams to play opposite mario...adams is more of pass rusher not a run stopper. or even amobi okoye who can push the pocket forcing the qb outside to help mario. i don't see weaver being able to sustain playing dt the whole season.

12. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

I realize the D line works as a unit. I'm just saying the story on Mario seems to have changed. I guess I was lead to believe that he was a pass rusher. I mean, isnt that why you take a DE? To sack the QB?

13. Ole Miss Texan

DE is supposed to put pressure on the qb imo. sacks are just one of the stats. but qb hurries are just important to me.

if he forces the qb to alter his throw or throw too quickly he's done his job. a lot of times those hurries will turn into INT's.

14. trutxn

trutxn Veteran

Super Mario is coming, but we still need to give him some DL help on the inside. He would dominate in one-on-one matchups.

15. trutxn

trutxn Veteran

If we give him a solid DT that can take away some of the double and triple teams, he will be a solid pass rusher.

16. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

yes. that may be true. but if so, why is it 'we need a pass rushing DE' instead of "we need better DT's to take the heat off Mario"?

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I have to agree with those who are confused with mario's transformation from a pass rusher to a run stopper.

It takes speed and strength to rush the passer, something Mario supposedly has from his combine.

Weaver was supposed to be the run stopper replaced by Babin/Peek in passing situations. Mario was always supposed to rush the passer

Casserly said Marios job was to put pressure on Peyton

18. AGGIEZ

AGGIEZ Rookie

"Nobody can run by this dude"? Tell that to VY...

19. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Why does Julius Peppers need Kris Jenkins?

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's what he will be. right now, he isn't this awesome pass rusher, and he wasn't one in college.

We need to let Mario play his game, and get comfortable, just like he did in college. He was a monster run stopper, havoc wreaking S.O.B. The QB was secondary to his M.O.

His sacks came when the Offenses stopped worrying about him, and started focusing on the pass rushers. Then, he just mopped up the gravy.

That's the way we need to let him play in the NFL. Stop the run first, then get the QB. our first game against Tennessee, this was our approach, and defensively we stymied their offense, holding them to 197 total yards, and 14 points.

When they came to Reliant, for some reason we focused on a rookie QB, and let the worse group of recievers we faced all year & a midget tailback to beat us. We should have stopped the run like we did before, and force Vince to beat us.

But, like I said. We need to allow Mario to play his game, let him get comfortable, & then we can get him to adjust his game to the NFL.

We've been asking Mario to transform his game from day one. Nobody asked Freeney to stop the run in his 4 year career. Nobody asked Kearse to learn any kind of technique till he left Tennessee.

He'll be all the things we want him to be.