Mario Williams: bleh... I'm tiring of him

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Jan 4, 2011.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

2. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

He's just a bit concerned...calm down man....however, I get your point. But, I can't fault him for that.

3. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Still on the "I hate Mario" march huh? reaching for straws, bro, reaching for straws...

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I think that Mario may have good reason to be concerned about a 3-4. He has had decent sack numbers over the years. But he is not the "dominant" DE that we were hoping for him to be. He has virtually NEVER tended to "take over" a game in the 4-3. In a 3-4, the DE is not necessarily going to get that many sacks because the DE is more supposed to act as a work horse to "tie up" the OL and allow for the LBs to get in there to consumate the sacks. Mario may feel that she should be more of the "show horse" than the "work horse."

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I was thrilled when we drafted him. I was very supportive of him as a rookie and through 2008. I doubt that I criticized him once last season. I know he was trying to play through a hernia this season, but, as I watched the season (not being informed of his injury), I really struggled with what appeared to be a lack of effort. Perhaps it was due to his injury. Perhaps 2009's mediocrity was due to his shoulder injury and his 2006 season was a result of his foot injury.

Still, though, come on! After 4 years of awful defense and one average season as a defensive unit in 2009, how can a true competitor be worried about how a major coaching upgrade will affect his personal statistics (it shouldn't, at the least, be his primary consideration).

6. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Some people are averse to change. I'm not terribly worked up about this.

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Find the word "hate" (or a synonym) on anything I have ever written regarding Mario Williams. You won't!

8. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Like the poster above me, I can see you're still making a habit of hating on Mario. edit: BullNation4Life I mean

In this case, he has a pretty good reason to be concerned. He is a 4-3 DE and that's about all there is to it. Moving him to 3-4 DE or OLB is a huge change and one that might never work out. Of all the people on the defense that are worth a shit, he is the one that should be worried most.

9. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Can't blame Mario for being ....wait for it....Wary.

Thank you, thank you...I'll be here all week. Be sure and tip your waitress.

keyser likes this.
  10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Did you read the story? I laid out Bruce Smith's accomplishments under the same system- past his prime. He was with Wade Smith from age 32-36. All four seasons, playing in Wade's 3-4 defense as RDE, he never had less than 10 sacks. Oh, and Bruce Smith was about 20 lbs lighter than Mario and a much better speed rusher. If anyone should've been concerned about such a switch, it would be someone with an edge rush. Mario does not have one. He's a bull-rusher that "can't handle" being moved inside (at least that is what the Texans coaches decided in late 2006). Now, Antonio moves all over the line (though he weighs less than Mario) and Mario only plays on the edge.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I like Mario but have thoughts he might not be very productive in 3-4. I'll get clobbered for this but we need to look at trades for him and Cushing. I am also uneasy about Cush in coverage but maybe with 4 LBs he will not be called on that much. How does Barwin (if healthy) project in 3-4?

12. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Sure about that? and I quote...

"There were another half dozen or more plays we could have added that would’ve shown the same lack of interest and intensity from Mario. The best hope I have is that he’s INJURED. Otherwise, I have to hate the guy!":kubepalm:

here is the like to your own blog...

http://www.texansbullblog.com/wrong...onio-smith/featured-articles/isolated-review/

like I said, still on the "I hate Mario" march...March on young soldier, march on...

13. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I'm fairly certain that Barwin would move to OLB.

14. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Me thinks the lady (in this case the poster) doth protest too much.

Mike

15. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

Isn't 2011 the last year of his contract? I don't blame him for not wanting a change. At least we know he'll be working his ass off.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes it is.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:rolleyes:

I think anyone who's played football before would understand what Mario's thinking. I don't know if you've played or not, but I know I'd be worried when I played in a 4-3 for so many years and was going to be forced to play inside.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I think he'd be a good one too. That is, if he's able to return to full health and is confident in his leg.

19. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

The Mario Motivation Thread is that way --> :kitten:

Mario, if there's one thing he tends to do exceptionally, is a great run-stopper. That spells success for a 3-4 DE. As far as statistics go he might not have awesome numbers, but I have no doubt he would be successful were there a great pass rusher behind him, also.

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Meh. The grass is always greener on the other side isnt it?