Mario Williams # 1 ?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by The Dude Abides, Apr 10, 2006.

1. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3782968.html

They are covering all their bases as they should.

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I for one am glad that they are bringing him in. I hope they will think long and hard about drafting him too. Even at the #1 spot.

I was thinking about this today, do we have even one defender that another team sees on the depth chart and they go "oh no" about??

Some might say Robison but do other teams think that or do we just cling to him because he is the closest thing we have to a decent defensive presence.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't think anyone is "afraid" of D-Rob because all they have to do is not throw to his side of the field if he starts to dominate, but that's not his fault. It's not like he's Sanders in his prime though. We can't just let him go 1:1 on any receiver, no matter what the route is, and let the safety help somebody else, allowing an extra LB to blitz, etc. I would hate to see the Texans spend that prized #1 pick on anyone but Bush (or if we were looking at QBs). I guess it could turn out to be worth it, but where was all the Williams, Hawk, Fergason for #1 talk all year long? I think it started with people looking at alternatives just out of curiosity and now people are taking the idea too seriously. Now, a Trade Down would make me real happy and, although I'd like to see a LT out of it, I could live with this guy.

PS-It's good that they're looking at him though. That never hurts.

4. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

He clould def. upgrade this D. I wish they would also bring in A.J. Hawk, and Mike Huff.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

It sure takes a while for our crack media team to notice anything that doesn't involve Bush and Young.

Even if they are already sold on Bush, they should still look at other players in case they get that godfather trade deal. This is a good move.

6. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

This is why I told all the fellow Bush campers not to think it was a foregone conclusion that Bush would be a Texan. I do think we will regret not taking Bush:twocents:

7. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

The talk has been there all year long, it has just been drowned out by the bush/young debate. I, for example, have supported D'brick/Mario at #1 before and still do.

8. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

John McClain is on 610 right now & he claims this is all "posturing" by the Texans front office & that they will take Bush. Take that for what it's worth:twocents:

9. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

The Chron indicates the Texans are not only working out Mario Williams but are talking contract with his agent....

Will anyone be happy if this guy really becomes the # 1 pick?

10. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I would be happy with Williams, yes.

11. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i would be happy with mario, but happier with bush, talent like bush rarely comes around

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Bush is clearly the BPA in this Draft, or last years Draft, or probably the 2004
    Draft also, etc. But there is still a possibility for a godfather offer, therefor
    we need a back-up plan for the BPA on the Board if picking at 4 or 5 or whatever. Therefor good idea to look at other top picks just in case.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Texans | Team to have pre-draft visit with M. Williams
    Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:22:41 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will conduct a pre-draft visit with North Carolina State DE Mario Williams Monday, April 10. The Texans insisted Sunday, April 9, they are serious about taking Williams. Under NFL rules, they can negotiate with any players they're considering drafting with the top pick April 29. They can negotiate with Williams, USC RB Reggie Bush and Texas QB Vince Young and sign one before the NFL Draft.

14. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

With the #1 pick? absolutely not.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am not surprised, but there are many on this board that will be. Good to see we are seriously considering the BPA for our need not necessarily the draft.

We cannot go wrong with Reggie Bush or Williams.

16. done88

done88 Veteran

Simmply a contract ploy. If they were going to go after Williams they would be better off to trade the pick and try to get Williams also. Bush's agent is asking for more thenthe Texans think he should. They thought that by bringing in Youn it would put pressure on Bush to lower his demands. Since that did not work they are tryiong to gain leverage through Williams. It's how business is done.

17. SteelBlueToro

SteelBlueToro Veteran

If they draft Williams it will be if they trade down.

18. Farough

Farough Site Contributor

I wouldnt mind it at all!... either Williams or Bush at #1 and ill be perfectly happy.

19. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I don't think you can sign him then trade down.

I would love, love, love, Mario Williams. Hate to see Bush let go but Defense wins championships.

20. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

This man is correct.