Mario "shh'ing crowd"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Twitch-Houston, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Twitch-Houston

Twitch-Houston Hall of Fame

OK I just have to say this because it kinda bugs me. This season Mario seems to continue to put his finger to his mouth after making a big play as if to say "shh". I know he's doing it because of all the flack he's taken in the media and on message boards, but not all of us Texans fans have been bashing him, and I must say it kinda feels like a slap in the face to those of us who have just sat back and hoped he developed into his "potential". I didn't have a white jersey to wear for the game on Sunday so I bought two. A Ryans one and a Williams one. I had faith he'd step up.

I guess my point is it just feels "wrong" when he's "shh'ing" his home crowd. That something you're supposed to do when you make a big play in a road game. Granted, if him feeling like he needs to shut up his critics is his motivating factor, then by all means keep "shh'ing" us. I'm just saying as a fan of the team, being told by my own team's player to "shh" when he makes a play just feels foreign. Maybe I'm too old fashioned....ha ha

I know it's not a big deal and I'm mainly starting this thread to get a dialog going, but anyone else feel a little uneasy when he "shh's" us?

-Twitch

YellerLotYeller likes this.
  2. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I've seen a lot of players make this gesture, not just Mario and not just Texan players.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I guess if he sshhh 's the crowd 25 times it's ok . If he only does it 5 times ... well he needs to stop .

4. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

If the dude makes plays, disrupts the offense, and scores TD's on defense... He can put his finger anywhere he wants. :includeme:

HJam72 likes this.
  5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Doesn't he do it towards the opponent's bench? I think it's his way of dealing with the negative attention, and if it makes him play like Sunday, then I'm all for it.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If the shoe fits, smell it.

Shhhhhhhh!

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think it is great. If he is shhhing (is that a word?) the other team, cool; if the fans so what? He took our crap (justified or not) I can handle it. Just hope he gets to do regularly.

8. real

real Guest

Mario isn't holding up a sign that says "Twitch-Houston.....Shhhhhh....."

I don't even think Mario is directing it towards me...or even the fans in general...

I think it's more towards those who called him a bust from day 1, and said it was a mistake to pick him....

9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I actually think it's pretty tight.

It reminds me of that scene in Mr. 3000 where Bernie Mac's sitting at home eating dinner listening to all the ESPN/Fox sports pundits poking fun at his comeback on various cut away shots to the TV. The camera is doing a 360 pan shot around him simultaneously & not once does he look up at the TV.... he just continues to eat & takes it all in as if to use it as motivation.

Maybe mario had a similar experience this offseason/preseason.

10. Twitch-Houston

Ahhh I hadn't noticed if it was always directed towards the other bench. The person I go to the game with has season tickets and they are behind the visitor's bench. He may well be doing it to the opposing team. Haven't though of it. I was so focused on the fact that he's doing it to his critics I didn't think of the other angle. (insert dunce cap emoticon here)

I apologize for starting this thread. :gun: I'm not thinking too clearly, been a stressful week.

Ok I feel better now. "Shh" away!!!

PapaL likes this.
  11. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I have no problem with him doing the 'shhhh' when he makes a play. He has gotten a lot of guff from a lot of us fans, national and local media, and I bet a LOAD from people his is competing against. It at least shows me that he cares what people think of him and that he needs to make plays to validate his selection and/or contract $$.

I hope he can get past that but he can only do that once him making plays becomes the norm and not a rarity. Here is to hoping that he continues to make plays and like a previous poster said 'he can do whatever he wants with his finger.'

12. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

This is what I always thought. I always thought it was more or less him sort of taunting the defense and saying "shhh...it's ok...I'm here to nail you to the ground. Get used to it".

13. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

I do get a sense of what you are saying. Although the 'in your face' part of me loves him showing them up, I'm beginning to think that enough's enough. The first or second time was adequate in my opinion. To continue would just be too pompous...in my opinion. His actions on the field will be MORE than enough to 'shhh' the critics.

:texflag:

14. Twitch-Houston

Not complaining at all.

I was watching a highlight a minute ago, saw Mario do it in the highlight and figured I'd say something. That's what I get for posting without thinking. I hadn't taken the angle that he may be doing it to the opposing bench.

Player's usually do it in a road game to opposing teams' fans. That was basically my whole point. It just looked strange at a home game.

15. Twitch-Houston

Yea I re-read the initial post and it does read a little "whiny". Didn't intend it to. Didn't word it properly. Whole point was the "shh'ing" home crowd looked weird thing. Should have said that and left it at that.

Regardless, the thread is active so it sparked conversation at least. Seems that the board doesn't know how to act when the Texans win cause when they lose, the board lights up for sure...ha ha

Oh well, as long has he keeps playing like Sunday, he can direct his "shh'ing" directly at me for all I care.

-Twitch

16. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I doubt it's for Texans fans. It's for the people who gave him a bunch of crap last season after he busted his butt on a bad foot all year for his team. It's for those who called him a bust the night before the draft.

Keep on Mario. I hope you give yourself PLENTY of opportunities to hush the critics.

:mario2: :marionaner: :mario:

17. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

For the sake of playing along with this thread, I'd like to see him do this at home and the "shhhh" on the road:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Second Honeymoon likes this.
  18. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I like it alot better than the jump shot move :d:

19. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

No offense but i love how finicky some fans are. If he does nothing he has no fire, no drive! If a guys makes play he's showboating and needs to show some class.

If the Shh signs gets more sacks, disruptive pressure on a QB, and a fumble recovery for a TD. Like another poster said he can do whatever he wants with his finger(s).

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige Veteran

I think you're reading too much into it. I think he just wants to use that as his celebration. The way I read it is that he's pulling like an Elmer Fudd, "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting QBs."

I like it, but I do sort of wish he'd do the Mario dance from that old TV show. Take one step, and then again, come on it's time to go, do the Mario. Swing your arms from side to side...."

SeƱor Stan likes this.